PDA

View Full Version : One kitten is thinking outside the box!!

moosmom
02-27-2005, 07:54 AM
I have a dilemma here. I have Mattie Grace and her kittens in a 6" deep storage bin lined with absorbent towels.

I went into the room to feed her this morning and found one of the kittens had gotten outside the box and was sleeping on the carpeted floor!!! :eek: I put him back in the box with mama and siblings. I went back into the room about an hour later and she was nursing him on the floor!! :eek:

This little ootie is VERY active, obviously! I've never seen 3 day old kittens move as much as he does.

I was going to transfer everyone to a deeper bin, but I'm afraid that the bin I want to use is way too deep. I'm also afraid that one of the kittens will get lost in the bedding.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!

Laura's Babies
02-27-2005, 08:08 AM
I would try a little deeper box. It is hard to believe that little thing is wandering around like that already..

QueenScoopalot
02-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Are you sure the kitten isn't being dragged out when Mattie Grace comes out to eat? Maybe scrap the box idea all together, and allow her to nurse them in a corner instead. :confused: Is Mattie maybe pushing the kitten away on purpose? Queens will do that to kittens they know won't survive.

catnapper
02-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Maybe build up the outside edge with some strong cardboard to make it an inch or so taller - just to see if he is getting out on his own.

Grace
02-27-2005, 09:25 AM
I tend to agree with QSL. If this wee one is getting out when he drops from momma, he'll never get back in again if the side is higher.

I went through something similar two years ago, with a box with only 3 sides. Momma kept dropping them all over when she got up to eat - at least they could get back in on their own with a low side.

catmandu
02-27-2005, 12:39 PM
I would keep,the side low,too as The Mother can,may well,be accidentally dropping them off.If she didnt think,that the Kitten,would survive,she woulndt feed,him ,at all.

Vio&Juni
02-27-2005, 01:49 PM
My suggestion - take off all the bed sheets or bed covers. She might start to hide them under the covers and you don't want to sit on them accidentally. And you can keep the same box, in case this guy is so greedy that he doesn't let his momma go when she leaves the box. If the side will be too high, the kitten may not be able to get back, or she may not be able to take him back, though that sounds silly, if she wanted to, she would take him back. If she's still nursing him on the floor... maybe that's her way to feed everyone the same?

moosmom
02-27-2005, 05:59 PM
I brought home a box from work that is about 1 inch higher than the one I was using, and longer. The difference is it has flaps. I taped 3 sides up and left one down. I hope it works. If not, I guess I'll set up a bunch of towels on the floor and let them stay there with her.

jenluckenbach
02-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Asper had her babies right on the floor (carpeted) under my high leg sofa and nursed them right there for about a week or so. Then they began wiggling around too much and I had to confine her to a cage to protect the babies from getting too far away from her.

moosmom
02-27-2005, 09:12 PM
*Sigh* I went into the room a little while ago and one of the black kittens was AGAIN outside the box!!! :rolleyes: The food in the dish was depleted, so I'm beginning to think that she got up to eat and one of the babies was still attached to her teet.

I put him/her back in the box and raised the 4th flap up a little. We'll see what happens in the morning. If anyone of those kittens is outside, I'm going to forego the box and let her and her babies lay on the carpeted floor.

I just don't get it!! :confused:

moosmom
02-28-2005, 06:29 AM
The mystery has been solved.

Last night around 1 a.m. I got up and checked on my little family. Sure enough, they were ALL on the carpeted floor outside the new box I brought home. :p

It seems little Miss Mattie Grace was trying to make ME think I was crazy!!! :eek: SHE moved them all out onto the floor! I just shook my head and went back to bed. :rolleyes: This morning, while she ate, I took a bunch of towels and placed them on the floor for her as a makeshift bed. She's happy as a clam now! And now I can get some sleep!!

ramanth
02-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Silly Mattie!! :D Glad they are all doing well. :)

Cataholic
02-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Donna,
I am sorry, but, that is hysterical! Sorry you had to worry, though, but, tee hee hee...

bitesize
02-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Is that the same box where she gave birth? If so, she was just wanting to move them. After a few days they don't like to be on the same materials or in the same area they were when they gave birth. You know, the scent/ predator thing. Congrats on becoming a new grandma! :)

moosmom
02-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Johanna,

I think it's pretty funny too considering I was going out of my mind trying to figure out HOW they got their. I chalked it up to high energy kitties. Stupid me!!

I took a CLOSER look (okay, I wore my glasses this time). I THINK I've got 2 boys and two girls. I'll check again on their 1 week birthday.

Bitesize,

She gave birth on a pile of towels on the same floor, but not the same spot. Once all the babies were born and clean, I transferred them to a plastic bin with clean towels. I guess she just prefers the floor! It's less farther to fall.