PDA

View Full Version : Dog hair growth

ningpr
04-13-2001, 11:27 PM
Hi,

I need a little help here.

I have a westie and he just got a haircut recently. It was way too short and he looks all skinny. Does anyone here know of any products that can help him grow back his hair quickly (and with no side effects).

I would really appreciate hearing anything back from you.

Thank you,
Nina

Pam
04-14-2001, 07:15 AM
Personally I wouldn't worry about it. I find that my dog's hair (she's a poodle) grows sooooo fast that it would be a blessing if her fur was cut a little too short. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Just joking.... I say that, because my husband and I do the grooming ourselves. I know when you pay a groomer it must be disturbing to not like the results. If we don't like the results we have only ourselves to blame. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif I don't know what you could use to encourage hair growth. I think time and patience is going to be all you have going for you on this.

RachelJ
04-14-2001, 07:46 AM
I agree with Pam. Hair grows in fairly quickly. Maybe there were some matts that the groomer couldn't get out and had to use the close cut to eliminate them. If that was the case, use this opportunity to keep your dog combed on a regular basis so the matts don't develop. If that wasn't the case, try not to worry about it and maybe look for another groomer.

ningpr
04-15-2001, 11:22 AM
Thank you very much, Pam and RachelJ, for your warm advice. I guess I just have to be patient and let his hair grows back naturally.

Nina

RachelJ
04-15-2001, 08:34 PM
And Nina, welcome to Pet Talk. I hope you will continue to meet us here. We pretty much discuss everything dog and then some. It's really nice to have so many parts of the USA represented as well as other countries.

Karen
04-15-2001, 09:12 PM
Oh, hey, and if it's just that he looks too skinny, a few extra biscuits'd help that! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I'm sure he'd be more than happy at that solution! And if anyone tells him he looks funny, tell them it's "the latest style from Paris," and he's oh-so chic! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

ningpr
04-16-2001, 11:24 AM
RachelJ, yes, it is really nice to talk to people who love dogs and pets just as much. A lot of non-dog people think that it is quite unusual that I care about my dog so much. I

Karen, what a great idea! If anyone wonders about my dog's hair style, I will tell them that this is "the latest style from Paris." :-)

Nina

mruffruff
04-17-2001, 12:21 PM
I am also anxious for my dog's hair to grow. Scruffy didn't get a short haircut however. He had his back right leg amputated and they shaved a whole lot more than I expected. It looks bad because he looks like a bearded collie but smaller. With all the hair he has on the rest of his body and face, a bare hip stands out. I gave him a trim so the other side is a bit shorter, and his leg hair isn't quite so long. He looks neater and not so much out of balance.
Scruffy is a rescue dog, 9 years old, who had a bad hip from the age of 3 months. Someone had stepped on him, we think, and broke his pelvis so his hip joint didn't fit right. Over the years, he grew a new ball joint, but it didn't fit just the way it should have. When he developed a luxated patella, the doctor and I agreed that he was in pain from the knee and the hip, and removal was the kindest thing. He was a little depressed for a couple of weeks, but he's almost back to his old self now. He can run with the rest of the dogs and gets up on the chairs with little problem.

I'm glad he's healing so well, but I sure wish his hair would grow!

ningpr
04-17-2001, 07:47 PM
Dear mruffruff,

Scruffy's story is amazing. He has been through a lot.

I hope that he and my dog will grow hair quickly.

Fast recovery to Scruffy.

Nina

Originally posted by mruffruff:
I am also anxious for my dog's hair to grow. Scruffy didn't get a short haircut however. He had his back right leg amputated and they shaved a whole lot more than I expected. It looks bad because he looks like a bearded collie but smaller. With all the hair he has on the rest of his body and face, a bare hip stands out. I gave him a trim so the other side is a bit shorter, and his leg hair isn't quite so long. He looks neater and not so much out of balance.
Scruffy is a rescue dog, 9 years old, who had a bad hip from the age of 3 months. Someone had stepped on him, we think, and broke his pelvis so his hip joint didn't fit right. Over the years, he grew a new ball joint, but it didn't fit just the way it should have. When he developed a luxated patella, the doctor and I agreed that he was in pain from the knee and the hip, and removal was the kindest thing. He was a little depressed for a couple of weeks, but he's almost back to his old self now. He can run with the rest of the dogs and gets up on the chairs with little problem.

I'm glad he's healing so well, but I sure wish his hair would grow!

[This message has been edited by ningpr (edited April 17, 2001).]

ailee
10-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Hello Admin,
I am aileen from new york and i join this forum for sharing Ideas, \
knowledge and information for animal life. there are so many pets in our form house.

Jannie
10-11-2012, 01:45 PM
I was hoping hair grows quickly also....as Annie has lost patches of hair from her fungal/bacterial infection so she looks like she has the mange or something....at least the patches look a little darker than they did a few days ago so maybe I should just put some clothes on her lol until it grows back :) jk...I am happy she is doing MUCH better and she is still beautiful to me even if she is half bald.

happylabs
10-11-2012, 06:37 PM
If it is too chilly for him, you could also get him a sweater at the pet store.