PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Malone...

Cookiebaker
02-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Just recently, Malone has started with a bit of separation anxiety. :( He is crate trained, and looooves his kennel. The thing is, his anxiety is NOT when we first leave him in it. And if we leave him in there, and go and come back even 1-2 hours later he is totally fine.

But it is mostly in the evenings, or if he has been in there for 4-5 hours. We come home and he is barking and panting and beating at the kennel. :( We leave lights on and the radio playing soft music, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Oh, and one other thing is that when we get home, we do not pay any attention to him until he has settled down (about 10 minutes).

Please, please if there are any tips or suggestions on how to nip this in the bud, please I'm willing to try almost anything. This has only started happening in the last couple of weeks, and nothing that I am aware of has changed as far as the length of time he is crated or the times he is crated.

I love him absolutely to pieces and I don't like him to be upset!!! :(

Dogz
02-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Poor Malone.

You may try recording your voice and Mark's voice and play it thoughout the day.
You could also put an article of clothing or something that smells like you.

Good luck!

micki76
02-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Anna, do you cover his crate? I usually cover Cinny's crate at night and if she's going to be in it for very long during the day.

I've found that the TV or radio just seems to make things worse.

Do you ever give him a Kong? I like to pack them really tight and freeze them so they last longer.

LabradorLover
02-26-2005, 08:09 PM
It must be heart breaking to see Malone so upset

I have never tried any of these things since we have never come across this problem. I have heard that the following things will help

Get ready to leave (get shoes on, cars keys ect) and then sit down on the couch and comfort Malone, make sure he is at ease and then leave. You should try leaving the house and saying things such as “I will be back soon”. Leave for thirty seconds and then come back. When you come in act normally and calm so that your dog will do the same thing and hopefully learn it is not that big of a deal. Everyday increase the time you are gone and make sure you start small. (go outside for like two miinuetes and come back in at first) Also make sure Malone has stuff to occupy himself with. for example, you could fill a kong with peanut butter.

I hope he gets over this. It will take time and if probaly will become very frustrating but make sure you keep workling with him

Vette
02-26-2005, 08:13 PM
I dont have any advise for you. but wanted to wish you and your pooch the best of luck,, and hope everything works out okay for you.

anna_66
02-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Wish I had some advice for you Anna, I know this must upset you terribly:(
I hope you can find something that works (has he ever been able to stay uncrated in the house while your gone?).

LuvGold00
02-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Ohh poor Malone!

Maybe he would like doggie day care a few times a week? I know of a great place with lots of Golden doggies that would LOVE to play with him and make him feel better. :D

Or, you could try calling an animal behaviorist (sp?) I know there is one about 1/2 an hour from my place. Let me know if you want the information. I'm sure they could give you some hints on how to solve the problem...

The Kong is also a good idea, Emmie LOVES them!! We freeze ours with Peanut Butter in them, they last longer frozen. ;)

Comforting hugs and kisses to Malone...

Cookiebaker
02-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks so much for the input!

has he ever been able to stay uncrated in the house while your gone?

No, and I could never trust him. He's still very much a puppy in many ways, and tries to chew things up right under my nose. He HAS settled a bunch down in the last few months, but not to the point where I can trust him roaming the house or even one room.

Anna, do you cover his crate? I usually cover Cinny's crate at night and if she's going to be in it for very long during the day.

I've found that the TV or radio just seems to make things worse.

Do you ever give him a Kong? I like to pack them really tight and freeze them so they last longer.

No, I don't cover his crate, and I will defintely have to try that. Yes, we DO use the kongs and they just love them. We melt cheese, and then freeze them; PB and freeze them; or kong stuffin.

Thanks again for the input. I'm going to try a couple of things, and if nothing changes, then I will probably talk to a behaviourist.

dukedogsmom
02-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Poor Malone. I know how that must upset you. Have you tried taking him to work once in a while? I also think the doggy daycare is a great idea. If it's like it is here, it's very reasonable and they get to have a blast all day. Hugs to you both.