PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Aspen!

stacwase
02-26-2005, 06:07 PM
I said that I'd get Aspen if my son chose her at the shelter, without any influence from me - and that's exactly what happened! So we busted her out of jail and she's had a very busy day.

First, we brought her home to meet Max. They were drawn together like magnets. They had a very small show-down. She growled and bared her teeth at Max. Max bared his teeth and growled louder and barked. Aspen realized his teeth were 3 times the size of hers and rolled over on her back and that was that! After that they wrestled for about half an hour.

We didn't want to leave her alone in her crate immediately, and we were going to the Outhouse Races (a silly Yooper tradition where thousands of people stand on a roadside and watch people race outhouses on skids down the road). So - we decided to give it a whirl and bring her with us.

She was EXCELLENT! She loves people and got TONS of compliments. She politely sniffed all of the dogs we met. Her leash manners stink, but we'll work on it.

During the Outhouse Races we discovered she has a raging ear infection - open sores and the whole works. So we left early and came home and treated her ears. I'll bring her to the vet on Monday but I had all the necessary supplies on hand, thank goodness. I could tell it was really hurting her.

She let me take care of her ears, no problem.

She's not too thrilled with her dinner (dry kibble with an egg mixed in). I don't know if it's the food or the fact that it's being served in her crate, but she runs in and takes a few bites then runs right back out again.

She's obviously very attentive to every tiny detail around her - and she whines when anybody leaves the room. She's definitley a people person.

Enough talk - here are some pics!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/p4796876d73278b1c2234e629a35de771/f5001ac5.jpg
Here's Aspen!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/pbb28ee6fa9a3d6736ae2d267f4871804/f5001ac1.jpg
At the Outhouse Races, we learned that she knows "sit" and "shake".

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/p930ee6f576a94e7785d9f0142e45411b/f5001abd.jpg
She's obviously very friendly.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/p711e2c98938dc9794fe8ccf622d595cc/f5001ac7.jpg
Here she is with my friend.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/p4261969182cd4964bfb83e36d9431440/f5001abb.jpg
After the races, we brought her home and she wrestled with Max some more.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/pc41bd22fcefe1312c3dbed76fb47f611/f5001ac9.jpg
More wrestling.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/p22603cb5b52143e0db8fa11ece16f66b/f5001aba.jpg
And here's the Top Dog himself - my wittle maxipoo.

That's it for now - I'll go check out the hints and tips on the "separation anxiety" thread now - I think I'll need them!

Ta ta.

sammy101
02-26-2005, 06:09 PM
o congrats!!:D Im happy that Aspen & Max get along!!!
What is Aspen??She's a gorgeous girl:D

stacwase
02-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by sammy101
o congrats!!:D Im happy that Aspen & Max get along!!!
What is Aspen??She's a gorgeous girl:D

The people at the shelter said she's a shepherd/boxer mix. Thanks for the compliments!

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-26-2005, 06:15 PM
SHe's absolutely GORGEOUS! Congratulations:D:D

micki76
02-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Stacey!! :D Aspen is gorgeous! Congrats!! Congrats!! Congrats!!

Are you keeping her name? I hope so, I love it. :)

petslover
02-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Aspen is a gorgeous dog.

stacwase
02-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks, everybody! Yeah - I think we're going to keep her name. It fits her so well - it's a beautiful name, and she's a beautiful dog.

Things are still going quite well. She adopted a corner of my son's room, so I decided to try bringing her crate and food up there. As soon as we put it there, she went inside and scarfed down her food.

The corner that she chose is between the foot of my son's bed and the wall - sort of dark, quiet, and very warm. Maybe it already felt kind of "dennish" before we put the crate there.

She let me cut her toenails. She just layed there, placid as a lamb. She's a very trusting and loving dog. Her most recent owners only had her for a month before they returned her to the shelter. They must have neglected her pretty badly - her toenails were long, her ear was badly infected, and you can easily count every rib from across the room while she's laying on her side. If you ask me, they deserved to have their sofa destroyed by her!

That ear infection was almost immediately apparent - there's no way they could have not known about it. She was scratching it and crying, and trying to shake her head. She couldn't get a good shake going because it hurt too badly.

I've never seen a dog so interested in people! While we were driving, she layed quietly in the seat. As soon as we stopped at the gas station, she was up checking out everybody who walked by, wagging her tail at them. She especially loves women - she would whine and wag her tail like she wanted them to pet her.

I think Max is beginning to have a few reservations about her. He must have realized that she's staying - because he's more reserved with her now and wants to lay really close to me. Maybe he's having just a little bit of jealousy? He'll be OK though - it will just take a little time. She'll be sleeping in her crate, and not in my room with Max and I. He'll know that he hasn't lost his spot in the family heirarchy.

Now - we'll just have to see how she does throughout the night. I anticipate some whining. I don't know if she's been crated before.

Tomorrow, she'll be alone for 2-3 hours. I'll turn on some classical music and see how she does.

Thanks for all the nice compliments!

anna_66
02-26-2005, 08:46 PM
He's gorgeous and sounds like he's going to fit in nicely:D
I'm so happy for you! More pictures whenever you get time!!!!

tomkatzid
02-26-2005, 08:56 PM
She really is pretty. Congrats!!!!!!! She looks very happy.
Katz

lute
02-26-2005, 09:07 PM
WELCOME ASPEN!!!:D
you are a very pretty girl and have a REALLY good home now.:D i'm sure there will be some spoilin goin on too.;)

chocolatepuppy
02-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Aspen is such a pretty girl! Congratulations on your new pup! :)

wolf_Q
02-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Congratulations on the new addition! Aspen is a really gorgeous dog, I love the name too. I hope she will fit in well with your family! :)

Corinna
02-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Was Aspen on pet finder I swear I say her there as I was going though the boxers last week. she is a beautful baby.

Oggyflute
02-26-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm so glad that your son took to Aspen, congrats, she's a beautiful dog.

shais_mom
02-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Congratulations!
She is gorgeous!!! I know she will make you happy and vice versa!!
I know with the love and dedication you will give her her previous problems won't happen.

GraciesMommy
02-26-2005, 09:56 PM
So glad that Aspen is fitting in so well...such a pretty one! And good lookin son too!!

Lilith Cherry
02-26-2005, 10:22 PM
looks like Aspen has found a happy home!! I am glad she is getting along with Max so well. Good luck tomorrow when you have to leave her alone for a while:)

NoahsMommy
02-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Aww! Congrats on the new addition. She's a very cute dog!

I'm so glad she got such a wonderful furrever home. :)

Rachel
02-27-2005, 12:04 AM
Another wonderful adoption story. Aspen seems like she will be just the right dog for your family. (I like the name too.) Congratulations on finding her, and definitely congratulations to her for being at the right place at the right time to find you and your son .

luvofallhorses
02-27-2005, 12:06 AM
She looks Pittiesh in a way :D Congrats!

EssTer
02-27-2005, 04:37 AM
CONGRADULATIONS!!! I think Aspen is really gorgeos dogs ;)

jenluckenbach
02-27-2005, 05:16 AM
Congratulations !! Aspen is simply gorgeous. And she really sounds like a terrific dog! :D:D

stacwase
02-27-2005, 05:40 AM
Thanks everybody!

She had a good night. It was hard to get her in her crate (picture me shoving with all my might while she puts all her paws against either side of the door and pushes with all her might to keep from being shoved in!). Once she was in, she whined for about 30 seconds and that was it. No whining the entire night!

I went and got her at about 6:00 am and brought her in my room with Max and me. They were too hyper so I brought them outside right away - they're out there playing right now.

Originally posted by luvofallhorses
She looks Pittiesh in a way :D Congrats!

You know - I kind of thought so, too, but I thought it might have just been wishful thinking on my part!

Cincy'sMom
02-27-2005, 08:03 AM
Congratulations on the new addition!! She is beautiful!!!

dukedogsmom
02-27-2005, 09:07 AM
That face!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/p4796876d73278b1c2234e629a35de771/f5001ac5.jpg
How could you not fall in love? I am so happy that they're going to be buddies :D I think it will be great for Max to have someone to play with. I love the pics of them playing. But Max, you're still #1 with me. And, we need more pics of both! She's going to have a great forever home. Sounds like things are working out. Congrats!

Jadapit
02-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Congrats on your new family member! Aspen, is just beautiful. I'm so glad that her and Max became friends so fast. That is so cool.
I think it looks like she may have a little pit in her also.;)

ChrisH
02-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Congratulations!! She is just gorgeous!! :D

Chica
02-27-2005, 12:34 PM
ASPEN IS SO HAPPY IN THOSE PICTURES!:) GREAT PICTURES TOO! ;) I AM HAPPY FOR YOU! :)

KYS
02-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Congratulations on your new adition.

stacwase
02-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, everybody!

We made it through day #2! She was alone for about 3 hours today, in her crate. She didn't break out of it, but I was dumb enough to leave her new leash in there with her. It's now neatly chewed into 5-inch lengths.

She definitely has an entirely different personality than Max. She is very alert all the time - watching and listening to everything around her, trotting from window to window. It's hard to get her to eat because she gets so distracted by any movement around her. Maybe she's malnourished not because her previous owners didn't feed her but because she could never pay attention long enough to get adequate nutrition.

She's a very smart little lady - when I was having Max do tricks she just copied what he did.

Her ear infection must be feeling better - no scratching or whining today, and she was able to get a good head shake going. Yesterday it hurt too badly for her to even shake her head. I'm cleaning it twice a day with a witch hazel/tea tree oil solution and applying leftover otobiotic ointment in the evenings, monistat in the mornings (in case it's yeast). I think that by the time she goes to the vet it might be all better!

That's about it! I'll keep you posted on the separation anxiety issues. I think she might be OK.

shais_mom
02-27-2005, 06:57 PM
I am glad that she is getting along so well!
Can't wait for more pics!

ramanth
02-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Congrats on the new addition! She's beautiful. :D

Tina
02-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Congrats! She is beautiful!