PDA

View Full Version : How you can help!

Mao
09-12-2001, 04:45 PM
http://www.uwnyc.org/other/index.html

Here is a site where you can donate on line to NYC and DC!

aly
09-12-2001, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the addy. I'm sure it will help many people who want to help but don't know what to do.

I donated to the Red Cross that had a donation booth set up at my school. Radio stations are also going to be all over town tomorrow and I will go donate some more there.

Cinder & Smoke
09-12-2001, 05:34 PM
How can YOU help ?

Here are some additional suggestions ~

Donate Blood at a local blood donation site. Even if your pint doesn't actually get to New York City, your pint WILL help to relieve the shortage and prevent another shortage from developing in your area as supplies are shifted to New York and Virginia.

Make a donation to the Red Cross. See their site at: http://www.redcross.org/.

Make a donation to the relief funds that are being organized for Firefighter, Police, EMS, and Victim Families. One for Firefighters has been established by Firehouse.com, and it will ensure that all the money actually goes to the family members and none is wasted. See: http://www.firehouse.com/. As this is posted, the Fund is mentioned in the upper right corner of the opening page; but it could move as the page is updated.

Make a donation to a greater New York or Virginia animal rescue or charity that pledges to help Critters made homeless by their owner's death or disability at the hands of these terrorists. Maybe some of our NYC or DC members could research and recommend rescue groups that will be involved with pets displaced by Tuesday's events.

And... Say a Prayer for the Rescue Folks and Victims, and all their Family Members.

May God Bless :) all the Fire Guyz and Search Dawgs working in New York and at the Pentagon.

wolflady
09-21-2001, 02:48 PM
Just thought I would share this image compilation by Monty Sloan. He is the photographer at the wolf park where I volunteered at in college...i know i've mentioned this so many times before :rolleyes:
Anyway, anyone who wishes to purchase a copy of this image can do so, and the proceeds will be given to charity for the disaster relief. Here is Monty's message that he included with the image....enjoy :)

Dear Wolfpaper Subscribers:
Life goes on, slowly lives throughout much of the nation, and the world age getting back to normal, well, maybe normal is not the correct word, but back to our lives anyway.

However, we need to keep up support for all those who still work day in and day out at ground zero. So many people have been devastated by this disaster, so many will need our support for a long time to come. Even the rescue dogs need our support. A good friend of mine, Z Soffron of Wolf Hollow in Ipswich, MA, purchased half a ton of dog food and many dog booties, then drove down to the recovery site with his donation. The country needs more people like Z.

It's too far for me to drive with any donations, but I do what I can. Along with the Wolfpaper sent out last week, I will be offering this one as a photo on www.wolfphotography.com (http://www.wolfphotography.com) of course without the text "To purchase..." on it, just the text at the top will be on the print. Ordering information should be up very soon. Helix Camera in Chicago can print these on photographic paper so they will be signed 'photographs' All profits from the sale of these images will go to the United Way, the American Red Cross and also to organizations which are both helping with the rescue dogs and helping all the animals left behind, now without owners.

The inspiration for this Wolfpaper evolved over the past five days. I had this vision of a bald eagle, our National bird, and a stormy sky over New York. Not the burning, destruction we all have seen far too much of on TV, but New York as it was, and as it may once again be someday.

There has already been talk about whether or not to rebuild, or to make a memorial at the site of the World Trade Center. I even read an article where the lease holder said they had definite plans to rebuild. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I do believe we need to get back on our feet as soon as possible, and not allow this country to fall into a recession. When somebody sent me the image of the NYC skyline before the attack, I felt strongly that I should use that.

I also wanted an American Flag, which is such an important symbol of this country and our strength, so I reused the flag from my previous image. It just fit so well.

However, the rest of the image still eluded me. I was talking with a good friend of mine, Paul Hebert of Interceptmedia.com in California, and he suggested both the text and using a photograph of a pack howling. It was absolutely perfect.

The blood red sunset, the stormy sky (which looks like smoke, but is actually the front of a huge thunderstorm) and the lightening strike are all from slides which I have taken here at Wolf Park. The pack howling is Apollo, Altair, Chetan, Orca, Alyeska and Chinook. It is a photo I have previously used as a Wolfpaper, but was perfect for this image.

I was then left with another decision in this image. The wolves were standing on short dead grass. It was not a very interesting substrate so I decided to mask out everything but the wolves themselves. However, having them on a black background did not look right either. I looked and looked for a usable photo. Something for them to stand on. But I was compiling this image at home, and could not find anything I liked. So at 2:00am I loaded the image into my notebook and brought it down here to the office where I have all my files. It then occurred to me that rocks would work best under their feet, so I looked through the many digital photographs I had taken in January of this year. Photographs I had taken in one of my favorite places. Death Valley. I found two, Devils Golf Course and a photo of the floor of Natural Bridge Canyon. When combined were perfect images. Even the lighting was good.

In all, this image took nearly five days to complete, consists of 12 different photographs and two text layers. The original is print quality. 3000 pixels wide with a file size of about 180mb. By far, it is my biggest Wolfpaper ever. Most are only 7 or 8mb in size.

http://www.wolfphotography.com/images/D-0002.jpg

Eudora
09-22-2001, 12:59 AM
Is there anything I can do to help in my country, other than the Net donations?