PDA

View Full Version : Good thing I love the little guy

robinh
02-25-2005, 02:50 PM
We took Max (doxie) to the vet last Saturday. He has had sores come up on his body that peel and leave a hairless spot. They are nasty and kind of smelly. The vet says he has a bacterial and fungal infection under the skin. Comes from all the years of prednisone which destroyed his immune system and now even a small scratch goes crazy.

After a $208 visit to the vet which included scrapings to see what the sores are and blood test to check his kidney/liver levels he was put on Baytril for a month at a cost of $112 (this was included in the vet bill) and Griseofulvin micro suspension for 6 weeks at a cost of $125.

He also has to have baths with Zymox shampoo ($17/bottle) and Zymox rinse ($17/bottle) two to three times a week minimum.

Surprisingly he's still halfway happy most of the time. I don't know that I would be happy at all if I had this much trouble.

Please keep your fingers crossed this works. My little guy is so miserable. It breaks my heart to see him like this.

I have friends that don't understand how I can spend this much money on a "dog". I've tried to explain he's not just a "dog", he's my Bubba but they don't understand.

:(

elizabethann
02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I understand completely. I hope your Bubba gets better.

micki76
02-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Oh poor, poor Max. Robin, you know I understand spending lots of money on your dogs. This month alone, we’ve bought 6 bags of food that we basically threw out because one works for Cinny, but not for Chester. Then the next food works for Chester, but not for Cinny. We’ve also spent literally thousands (close to $10,000-I don’t know, maybe more) on Chester over the last 6 years.

I hope Max feels better soon. Thankfully Chester only gets pred occasionally now, but there for a while he was getting it daily. I knew the risks, but I also knew he needed relief. Sometimes we just have to weigh the consequences and make the best short-term choice we can. Chester has some issues with his immune system as well, and anytime I see a sore or scratch, I peroxide it and slather on panalog (like Neosporin, but for dogs).

Hugs and kisses to lil Max.

GraciesMommy
02-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Poor little fella! I hope the meds do the trick and he is feeling better soon!

schteve_d
02-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by robinh
I have friends that don't understand how I can spend this much money on a "dog". I've tried to explain he's not just a "dog", he's my Bubba but they don't understand.:(

"Outsiders" may not but I'm sure almost everyone here certainly understands and for the most part have done, or will someday do, the same thing!

I hope Max is doing better real soon!

Sudilar
02-25-2005, 07:21 PM
I sure can empathize with you!! Of course you love Max and will do all to help him. Hope it clears up soon.

robinh
02-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Here is what he looks like:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/pfb5756a41088d0d2af9865f6605e5da4/f502623b.jpg
It's not a good picture, he won't stay still for a good shot.

Thanks for the good wishes. We can use all the positive energy we can get.

Oggyflute
02-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Best wishes and thoughts are with your Bubba Robin, hope he gets well soon.

KYS
02-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Poor baby, Get Better!!!!

Cincy'sMom
02-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Hope Max is able to find some relief soon.

We are still battling Cincy's allergies as well. Overall, she is better since she start the immunotherapy shots, but still gets patches she chews the fur completely off. Nothing like poor Max suffers from....This time of year we have her on daily prednisone, but only 2.5mg/day (she weighs 75+ lbs).

Give Max some rubbing for me.

jackie
03-02-2005, 04:49 PM
poor max! must be so itchy

I have friends that don't understand how I can spend this much money on a "dog". I've tried to explain he's not just a "dog", he's my Bubba but they don't understand.

i have a lot of friends (and my boyfriend) who say this to me all the time. i always say, the amount of happiness and love my animals give me is worth every penny!