PDA

View Full Version : Annimals Affected by attack

crow_noir
09-12-2001, 02:27 AM
To: ALL (1 of 1)

**** Please XPost these to any other forums you belong to****
Let's show we DO care! Screw PETA and the other AR groups...we take care of "our own"

APPARENT TERRORIST ATTACK HITS THE US Dear Friend And Fellow Animal Activist,

Today has been a day we will long remember. Thousands of our fellow citizens have apparently been killed or injured in one of the most horrible terrorists attack we have ever witnessed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and the families who have lost loved ones.

While a national emergency is instituted and carried out, all air traffic throughout the US and Britain has been interrupted and shutdown. This shutdown affects many animals as well as humans who happen to be "in transit."

It is for this reason that IDA forwards the following alert: Please crosspost!

AIR TRAFFIC IS IN SHUTDOWN.... WHAT HAPPENS TO PETS IN TRANSIT? Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:00:36 EDT

"A lot of the airports don't have a protocol for all air traffic down, when they close due to weather, they just feed the animals whatever pet food they have, no walks etc... if this no fly lasts the animals need to be taken care of. Please everyone, if your city is near an airport, call animal control and/or the airport offices and/or airlines and ask about the animals in transit cargo at the airport, so these poor babies don't have to suffer in tiny travel kennels any longer then necessary. If you have the room and can - offer to take some of the animals into your home/kennel.

PERMISSION TO CROSS-POST ANY RESCUE RELATED MESSAGE ON THIS LIST.

There is a list like this for every state! Share info about the lists with someone you know today! To subscribe to another state's rescue elist, send a blank email to: (anystatename)[email protected]

We agree and are sending this out to all the state rescue lists and some other lists. This is a valid concern for all animals in transit when this nightmare began. We do not know if the airlines, airport security, etc., will allow folks to bring food, water, clean bedding, etc., for the animals under these circumstances, but it is definitely worth a try!

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD!

Courtesy Of:
Donna Malone, President
Responsible Animal Owners of Tennessee - a nonprofit organization promoting the humane treatment of animals and responsible animal ownership - Because Love is Not Enough!

aly
09-12-2001, 02:31 AM
Oh god, I Can't sleep. I wonder if there are any animals stuck here. I will take in as many as I can, and have people I know do the same if there are animals in need here.

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-12-2001, 07:59 AM
I didn't think of that. I will call the Atlanta airport and see what I can do.

I have seen several cases at the shelter where someone will bring a pet owned by a relative that passed on. I wonder how many victims of the bombing had pets and if there is someone to take care of them or will the poor babies have no home :(

nsweezie
09-12-2001, 06:11 PM
I noticed yesterday that my two boys, Clyde and Scooter were especially loving to me. I know that they could pick up my sadness, and were trying to make me feel better.
It saddens me so much to think of all the loss. I cannot bear to watch anymore coverage on TV, because I cry every time.

zippy-kat
09-12-2001, 08:42 PM
Hey guys...I'm going to cut and paste an email I received. It's a bit long but has some GOOD info for those that want to help, please bear with me...

[OhioAnimalRescue] NATIONAL SITUATION.... & UPDATE RE:ANIMALS INVOLVED

Our hearts and our prayers go out to any and all victims, and the families of victims, of the recent series of horrific attacks on our
Country and also to those valiant individuals now involved in rescue efforts.

Update re animals:

Many of those who lost their lives yesterday and/or many of those who suffered injuries who require long term care, and cannot make
other provisions for their pets, may need help with their pets.

Neighbors, coworkers and/or friends may or may not know which of these individuals left orphaned pets behind locked doors. If you
know anyone, or anyone who knows anyone, who worked for or with, or was related to anyone
who worked for or with anyone who was dramatimized by yesterday's attack, you should "spread the word" that our network stands ready to broadcast to the rescue "nation" that these pets need assistance. We encourage landlords whose tenants might have been involved in this tragedy to check the homes of these individuals to see if they left an animal that needs care.

We know you will all, if called, answer and help any animals left homeless because of this terrible assault.

Next, we received an update re the airport issue from Beth whose husband WORKS at an airport:
Hi. My husband works ramp for ..................... and he
says that all carriers must have a backup plan for animals in transit. Part of the agreement when someone applies to have a pet transported says that the airline will provide for overnight kennel accommodations if the animal is stuck anywhere other than his/her intended destination. There have been cases in which an airline employee has volunteered to take the animal(s) home overnight. They are NOT allowed to spend the night in the kennel at the airport--whether it actually happens or not is a completely different story. =(

If you contact a local airport, you will need to speak to someone in airport operations. Those numbers can be hard to get, so try airport information. If needed, offer to leave a contact phone number and have someone in ops call you back.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In response to our last post, we are getting offers of help... please, take a FEW MINUTES and attempt to contact your local airport, maybe even DRIVE there. You should take supplies with you,
including bedding materials, and offer to clean kennels. It is possible that no
one will allow you to enter the airport, we are getting mixed info about this BUT at
least try and, of course, as the above post noted, you will need to contact someone in airport operations. If you ARE stopped at the gate, ASK for someone in airport operations and/or if the items you have brought can be provided to the animals even if you can't personally do it. Unfortunately, this is one of those situations where you can't really WAIT
if you want animals to benefit from your actions, you have to DO... i.e., go there and NOW. Offer to help NOW. In other words, don't wait to hear from someone else that animals at airports need help, find out for yourself if they do, or assume that they do!

THANKS FOR CARING!
Donna Malone, President
Responsible Animal Owners of Tennessee - a nonprofit organization promoting the humane treatment of animals and responsible animal
ownership - Because Love is Not Enough! www.raot.org (http://www.raot.org)

PERMISSION TO CROSS-POST ANY RESCUE RELATED MESSAGE ON THIS LIST.

There is a list like this for every state! Share info about the lists with someone you know today! To subscribe to another state's
rescue elist, send a blank email to:
(anystatename)[email protected]

Cinder & Smoke
09-12-2001, 11:02 PM
Here's two links to the "United Animal Nations" (we don't know anything about them) that seem interested in helping the NYC and DC displaced pets...

Main site link: http://www.uan.org/ears/index.html and...

About the current disasters: http://www.uan.org/ears/actionreport.html

Take a peek and see what you think...

wolflady
09-14-2001, 08:12 PM
Where can we get some of these dog booties?? I'd like to help out in any way I can. I've contacted the 3 local airports here in northern Cal. So far not much luck. The people at San Jose said the airlines were taking care of it. San Francisco was harder to get in contact with, but I finally made it to a person in operations who passed me on to another number...but it just rang and rang...still waiting for Oakland!!

Cinder & Smoke
09-14-2001, 09:18 PM
Karen (wolflady) and Others ~

Please Read our posts in "search & rescue dogs in DC&NY" (http://PetoftheDay.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001162) BEFORE you try to send booties to New York.

The "Search Dog Bootie Shortage" was resolved about the time the story hit the web pages.

Just this afternoon I tried to help a local manufacturer who wanted to donate $ 30,000.00 worth of hand creme to the Search Teams in NYC. After a dozen phone calls to FDNY Logistics people and FEMA coordinators, I had to report back to the donor that the Rescuers just could not accept any more donations of physical equipment or supplies. There are TONS of donated supplies already on-site that haven't been inventoried or opened and may not be for weeks or more!

All the on-site folks are requesting that people who want to help do so by sending $$ Money to a charity or Relief Fund of their choice. There are thousands of families that have lost one or two of the parents and will need financial assistance to recover fron this tragedy.

Our favorite Fund is the one set up by Firehouse.com in association with the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF). Their "New York Firefighters 9-11 Disaster Relief Fund" has pledged that 100% of the money collected will go to the hundreds of killed and injured Firefighters' family members. Read about this Fund on page one of: http://www.firehouse.com/

4 feline house
09-14-2001, 10:58 PM
Another email I got from the SPCA (this one is about animals:

Many of us at the SPCA of Texas have talked about wanting to do "something" to help during these horrible times ...and as a result, came up with an idea that would directly relate to our mission of animal welfare:

In an effort to help shelters & animal-control agencies in and around New York City and Washington DC, we are partnering with the Arizona Humane Society in Project S.A.V.E. -- Saving the Animal Victims of Emergency.

The goal of Project S.A.V.E. is to raise funds so that animal-welfare organizations in the affected areas can provide adequate shelter and veterinary care to these orphaned pets until they can be placed into new homes.

Project S.A.V.E. hopes to get one shelter in each of the 50 states to raise $2,000 by September 30th which means that our sister agencies in NYC & Washington will have an additional $100,000 to spend on emergency care for these animal victims.

As horrible as this situation is for the entire nation, an opportunity has presented itself ... we have a chance to come together and unite to aid animals in need.

We hope to exceed our goal of $2,000. Donations online can be made at www.spca.org/donate (http://www.spca.org/donate) or mailed to the address below (payable to SPCA of Texas). Note on your donation that it is for Project S.A.V.E. Please know that 100% of funds raised will be sent to New York City and Washington, DC.

Feel free to share this email with friends, family and fellow animal lovers in the DFW area.

Thank you for your support.

Charla Barbay
E-Philanthropy Manager
SPCA of Texas
362 S. Industrial Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75207
[email protected]
214-651-9611, Ext. 108
1-888-ANIMALS (in Texas)

Of course, these contact numbers and addresses are for DFW, but I'm sure everyone's local SPCA is doing this, or can point you to which one for your state is participating.

thelmalu99
09-17-2001, 10:08 AM
Hi everybody,
Last week, I went to Petco to purchase a few bags of dog food to donate to the wonderful pups who are working so hard with the search and rescue crews. (I was happy to see that lots of people were doing the same.) I was going to schlep the stuff to the Jacob Javitz Center, where they are accepting all donations, but I was informed that Petco would deliver all pet food/supply donations! I don't know if they are also bringing pet food donations from other states to NY, but it's worth a try.
Just wanted to let everybody know. :)

thelmalu99
09-17-2001, 11:25 AM
Cool.
Thanks, Chuck.

Cougie Wechsler
09-19-2001, 08:33 PM
Spencer, thanks for posting the story about Kathleen and her precious Tweety Pie. For all the tears of sadness I have shed over this, it was good to shed tears of gladness! :)

Daisy's Mom
09-19-2001, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the stories, Spencer. I am so glad Tweety Pie was reuinited with her owner :) What a good story. We need more of those.