PDA

View Full Version : Silly Q: request for help from BC & Saskatchewan PTers

AmberLee
02-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Hi,

I know this info has to be on the web someplace, but ... I'm not finding it. One of my beloved hobbies is genealogy and for complete records you document the Town/City, county/parish, state/province, then the country.

I have distant relatives that lived in Bristish Colombia and in Saskatchewan. I'm okay with everything but the county info. Can someone point me to a website that identifies the county associated with these towns/cities:?

British Columbia:
- Coquitlam (near Vistoria?)
- New Westminster
- Penticton

Saskatchewan:
- Beverly
- Glamis
- Kelso
- Rosetown
- Saskatoon
- Sovereign
- Swift Current

Oh, I missed this the first time -- Edmonton in Alberta?

The only county that I found in several hours of looking was that Calgary in Alberta is in Calgary county

I did find Federal Election Districts and another Election Districts... Is this the same as US counties?

Confused and cross-eyed,
Amber L.
[Apologies if I'm misspelled some of the towns... fumbled fingered tonight, too.]

Nomilynn
02-24-2005, 10:02 PM
We don't have "counties" so that might be the problem, at least in BC.

Coquitlam and New West is in the Lower Mainland.. I don't know if that would be good enough for you? Its the south west corner of the province.

Penticton is in the Okanogan (I might have spelled that wrong :o ) so you could try using that as a "county."

Hope this helps :)

cali
02-24-2005, 10:05 PM
lol I am in saskatewan but I have no clue what the heck a county is lol lets see saskatoon is a huge city about 4 hours away from me lol I dont ermeber where swift current is and I have never even heard of the other ones :confused: oh I just asked my mom she said to look up "municipality"

slick
02-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Nomi's right...we Canucks don't have "counties". We do have regions such as the Okanagan and that might be comparable to a county but we don't call it as such and it's not used in an address at all.

http://www.travelamap.com/canada/britishcolumbia.htm

This website might help you in knowing BC a little better.

Victoria is actually at the bottom of Vancouver Island.

I'm in New Westminster which is only about 10 min. from the Vancouver border.

AmberLee
02-24-2005, 10:51 PM
*Blush* :o

Thank you for your quick response. Coquitlam is near Vancouver, a little more inland and south of that coastal city; north east of New Westminster.

Here in the states some records are held at the city level, some at state, but most are held at the county level. (It differs from state to state and even by county, which is part of the reason we need to keep up with all the levels.)

Is there one location for birth, marriage, death, tax, and census records in Canada then?

ARRGGHHH! And wouldn't you know it? I've torn the house apart looking for my 'Genealogical Helper Handbook" which identifies which record is stored where for the US as an example and tonight I can't find it. I'm due to work at the gene libr on Saturday, I'll get an example there, if it doesn't come to light before then.

Thank you all for your speedy response. I appreciate your efforts.

AmberLee
02-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by slick
... http://www.travelamap.com/canada/britishcolumbia.htm

This website might help you in knowing BC a little better.

Bless you, Slick! Between your online map and my ratty old atlas that I've loved to death, I've found all the BC cities (although I don't know what to tree them up to, I can live with a mystery, I guess. ;) :p )

Thank you!

slick
02-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Is there one location for birth, marriage, death, tax, and census records in Canada then?
Yes, and it's in Victoria, BC...the Provincial capital.

http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/genealogy/index.html

Here is where you can find some more information..dept of Vital Statistics. Good luck...and BTW...I hope to meet you at Gini's in July! :)

AmberLee
02-24-2005, 11:22 PM
YEEEEEHAAAAWWWWW!

I hadn't found this resource before, Slick. You are a MARVEL! Thanks!

Yes, there's a 90+% probability I'll make it to the bar-b-que this year. I'm not sure about the Disneyland outing. I'm confused over who's needing roommates yet. Is there a list or something that I've missed?

slick
02-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Is there a list or something that I've missed?

So far, only Naomi is looking for a roomie. Check out the BBQ thread.

hugs
slick xoxoxoxoxo

wolfsoul
02-25-2005, 10:40 AM
I don't have anything to add. Just wanted to say that Penticton is a pretty city. I live in the Central Okanagan, not too far away from Penticton. :) I don't even know what counties are lol.