PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok for Mina to be doing this????

mina'smomma
02-24-2005, 09:07 AM
She will bath herself, and that includes where her stitches are. I'm scared that she might rip them out. I'm not worried about the slight swelling of that are yet because it isn't red and the vet says that it might happen.

sirrahbed
02-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Renae, I only know what my own vet said - that she would want to bathe that area but make sure she does not get too "aggressive" with it and if so, try to get her doing something else. If "momma cat" (Emily) did the same thing and was doing more than cleaning - to come get a collar. The feeling seemed to be a little bathing was good for them as long as that is all she was doing. It is only natural to want to lick a bit. This is how my vet explained it anyway....:)

Emily ended up removing a stitch!:eek: But it was almost time to come out anyway.

christa
02-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Josie actually pulled a few out for herself! It wasn't a problem for her. They stitched her underneath the skin also, so nothing came apart. You might want to just watch and make sure that she's not hurting herself.

mina'smomma
02-24-2005, 09:14 AM
Ok thanks. She has a few bumps from where they stitched her, but nothing seems to be tearing at all. I was just worried if she should being doing this or not.

Shady
02-24-2005, 10:07 AM
As they heal the incisions get really itchy, it's normal to clean it, but as mentioned too much attention in that area can cause problems with the stitches, if she persists to the point of damage, you might have to look into an E-collar.

Laura's Babies
02-24-2005, 11:30 AM
I ditto all of the above... Just watch she don't pull the stitches.

catmandu
02-24-2005, 12:52 PM
I agree,with the threads,as Cats,can do some damage,to themselves,unwittingly,but touching,the stitches.I remember,when Michael,came back,from dental work,still groggy.But,would he sit,down,Not a chance,and he was staggering,like a Drunken Sailor.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Mina , Squeeks wants you to know that if he was their, he would lick your tummy for you, and make sure to be very gentle, he does not want you to hurt;)
I echo everyone else also, just keep a close eye on the stitches. She could pull them loose, and that would not be a good thing. It would allow bacteria/infection to enter the tummy...

carole
02-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes you may have to get a collar for her, they are no fun for kitty or you to watch them in it, but it is sometimes necessary, I had to do that with Lexie and her tail , otherwise she would have pulled the stitches out for sure, and then you are back to square one and maybe with even more complications like infections, just keep a close watch on her, trouble is , it is impossible to watch her 24/7 so maybe a collar would be a wise purchase.