PDA

View Full Version : Major Advice needed!

ratchet22
02-24-2005, 06:45 AM
Okay here is my situation. Most of you don't know but I manage 2 mobile home parks. And cats are pletiful. I used to just trap cats and turn them over to animal control. Then one day it clicked and I became a major cat lover and the thought of turning an animal over to AC was not gonna happen. Anyways since this change of mine I have helped many many cats, strays and ferrels. But
there are still many ferrels, cats and strays on the property.

Lately I have pulled cats out to help them find homes and get a new life other than a stray, and they have all tested positive for feline lukimia. :(

As I just stated there are still many many cats left to this colony on the properties. I could do TNR on them, but Im afraid that is not going to be enough.

My question I guess, which is a hard one. Since most of the cats left are ferrel, as I have already picked up all the strays ect. Most of the rest are probably infected as well. TNR to me would not solve this problem. I am faced now with clearing the properties of the animals to stop the infection rapidly spreading here.

I have cried and Im sick to my stomach, Is my option here to trap them all and turn them over to animal control? What do I do?
Please any advice will be taken here, Im so disgusted with this that I feel like totally giving up what I truly love the most. :( Helping cats.

I have only recently (this last year) started helping majorly with cats. And I am obviously learning the hard way. Don;t get me wrong I have brought the cat population down here alot since i started.

Laura's Babies
02-24-2005, 07:11 AM
Wow! I would not want to be in your shoes, not even for one minute!

Common sense tells you that this disease HAS to be stopped as does the infection rate there. I think that tells you what has to be done.

I hope there are rules there like we have in the one I live in. NO OUTSIDE pets and I think the management needs to go one step further and have everyone with pets show yearly proof that all pets are up to date on all shots and pets are netured/spayed.

Here, stray cats are trapped and taken to the pound because of the damage they do underneath the older mobile homes, looking for a warm, dry place to get in the winter months.

YOU did not create this mess but it looks like you are the only one willing to do something about it. I would hope you would notify all the people who live there that this disease is in those parks and to keep their pets INSIDE and to be on the safe side, get their shots... If you have someone in there that has a inside/outside cat, chances are they have it and will reinfect any others abondoned or dropped off there.

Again, you did not create this situation but you need to do what has to be done in order to get rid of the problem and save any that come along in the future.

ratchet22
02-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Thats what I thought. :(
My rules with cats here are that they have collars on when outside.
I tell everyone that if I trap cats and they have no collars, they will be turned over to animal control. Very few maybe 2 out of 2 properties actually let their cats out. These are fixed, and vaccinated. Back to my crying......

:( :confused: :(

catmandu
02-24-2005, 08:40 AM
That is such,a shame,when the burden,of the ignorant,falls into your lap,and you have,to make,that horrible decision,of what well could,be life,or death,for these poor neglected Cats!I dont envy,you at all,and I know,that you will do,what is best,for these poor strays.

K & L
02-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Here's a very good article on this subject:

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/releasing.htm

sirrahbed
02-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Carrie - based on the article Lisa posted and because I know you want to help are you are able: how about doing TNR on the Toms first. Maybe you could explain to your vet and even ask other vets in the area - and if they know what you are doing - may offer to neuter at a very low price for you. Could you get a few more people excited about this as well - folks that will understand what you are trying to do??
You can't save them all or protect them all - but every little bit makes a difference. I am thinking TNR Toms first - maybe others have better ideas...

K & L
02-24-2005, 09:34 AM
We do not test our colony of ferals. We just TNR and hope for the best. The only time we test is if the cat is adoptable and removed from the colony. We've managed our colony for 6 years now. It works!

ratchet22
02-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Just an update to let you know that I am trying to contact different groups that might be able to come in and help. Im not sure if I mentioned this, but some of them are sweet kitties too, just sick. So I am looking to see what alternantives are out there for them. I know they can't stay here.
I took two in today and had them tested, so we will see what comes of that tomarrow when the results come back.

ratchet22
03-07-2005, 09:57 AM
UPDATE! TNR is in progress, thanks to kittico and rebecca, she lent me 5 traps, and i caught 6 cats last night, they are in dallas being fixed, i pick them up tonight and return them in the morning. i still have more, but i have a big start on this, and the kitties will be fixed.

catcrazylady
03-07-2005, 10:06 AM
That is FANTASTIC news!!! What you are doing is wonderful. I'm sure if I could figure the math you would be astounded at how many unwanted babies you have prevented.

High five and HUGE pat on the back to you!!!:) :) :)

jenluckenbach
03-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Congratulations on your efforts. :)