PDA

View Full Version : Amber claims she is the world oldest cat.

ChrisH
02-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Cat claiming age world record

A west Wales feline is laying claim to be being the oldest living domestic cat in the world. Amber was a fully grown stray when she took up residence in Diane Sleeman's Ferryside home in 1978.
Diane thinks she is now approaching 30, which would make her almost five years older than the current record holder, according to Guinness World Records. Researchers said if Diane can provide them with evidence then they will consider Amber's claim.
Diane said: "I came here in 1977 and she came just after. She was two or three years old then. "I just went outside the back door one day and looked up into a tree and just saw this cat smiling down on me."

Diane has been a cat lover all her life and currently has four strays living with her. But she said there is no doubt as to who is the top cat in her household. "She has been very independent since day one. She is very demanding and will do what she wants to do when she wants to do," she explained. "She has still got plenty of spirit but she is not as active as she used to be."
Diane puts Amber's longevity down to her diet. "Amber likes hot cod, and chicken. Her favourite is prawns. Prawns only have to come into the house and Amber knows."

Amber's vet Almut Hoffman said she had come across cats in their 20s before but none as old as Amber. "The average age of a cat is 14 to 16 when they usually suffer problems, usually kidney disease," she said. "Amber is a very old cat but for a cat of her age she has very few problems."

Chris Marais, of Guinness World Records, said the organisation was interested in formally establishing Amber's age, to see if she could make the record books as the world's oldest living cat. He said: "At present, the oldest living cat is a cat from Ontario in Canada called Spook, she's a female black cat aged 23 years old. "So if we can accurately verify Amber she's definitely in with a shout."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/4288399.stm

p.s. There are a couple of pictures of Amber on the story site.
Chris

QueSarah
02-23-2005, 01:27 PM
how could she verify that?

moosmom
02-23-2005, 02:43 PM
While I have seen somewhere where the oldest cat who dies was 36 years old, I looked up on the Guinness Book of Records and found that the oldest living cat is 27. Here's the link:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index.asp

catmandu
02-23-2005, 02:58 PM
It seems,to me,that I have a Cat Fancy,on Senior Cats,that claims,that there was a Cat,that lived,to be 34 Years old,and I think,that there were a few,in thier late 20s.

lizbud
02-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Go Amber. :D Her long life might be due to diet, but I think
her independent spirit has a lot to do with it too.:D