PDA

View Full Version : Take me back to the 70's

micki76
02-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Mini skirts / Cheesecloth / Hot pants / Platforms / Loon pants / Afros / Tattoos / Corduroy / Old Spice, Charlie & Brut / Curly perms……on men / Cardigans……..on men / The Farrah Flick / Punk / Flares / New Wave / Wonder Woman boots / Lycra / Prince Charles grows a beard………really / Cuban heels / Wolfman Jack & The Midnight Special / The New Avengers / Tommy / Hair / Tube Tops / Hot Pants / Desert Boots / Fringe Jackets / Painted Denim Jackets / Clogs / Love American Style

The Stylophone / Sindy / The Space Hopper / Klackers / Roller Skates / Hacky Sacs / Uno / Chopper bikes / Mastermind / Pong / Magna Doodle / Womblemania / Monopoly / The Eight-Track / Kites / Skateboards / Othello / The Atari / Simon / Star Wars figures/ Sit 'n Spin / Toss Across

M*A*S*H / Love Story / Get Carter / Shaft / Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory / The Godfather / Last Tango in Paris / Live & Let Die / Jesus Christ Superstar / The Exorcist / Blazing Saddles / Return of the Pink Panther / Jaws / The Rocky Horror Picture Show / Shampoo / Logan's Run / Taxi Driver / Rocky / Star Wars / Saturday Night Fever / Close Encounters of the Third Kind / Grease / Superman / Midnight Express / Alien / Mad Max / The Jerk / Shaft / Rocky

The Beatles split / The First Glastonbury / Novelty Songs / John, Paul, George and Ringo go solo / The New Seekers and that Coke ad / The Osmonds go global / Slade, T-Rex and glam explode / David Bowie becomes the biggest UK act since The Beatles / The Wombles…….in the charts / Bob Marley / The Bay City Rolllers / Abba vs Punk / The Sex Pistols go straight to number…….2 / Boomtown Rats / The 12 inch / The Village People and those hand gestures

PJ's Mom
02-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Well, that reminds me just how old I am. :eek: :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
Well, that reminds me just how old I am. :eek: :D

me too:( :rolleyes: .
I agree, the 70'ties were SUPER!!!

GraciesMommy
02-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Ahhhhhhh yes...Wolfman Jack and the Midnight Special...funny, I was just talking about that today!! I graduated in 78..........wow

Where does the time go?:eek:

carole
02-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Aww Micki that sure brought back some memories and a few laughs, the Farrah Flick, do you know I got my Farrah Flick done when I was in America, out of Salt Lake City somewhere, I ended up on a bus going to goodness know's where and got off at a place called Trolley Square I think, and I remember getting my Farrah Flick done there and buying this awesome calico gown with lace up front, it was a sexy number too, I even remember the hairdressers name Len, I wanted to take him back with me, because he did my hair so great , I felt like a Hollywood star lol.

AH memories, oh to be 19 again.:D :D

Jadapit
02-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Omg now that brought back some memories. I loved Charlie perfume and tube tops oh how my mom hated those.;) Ah yes, the good old 70's. :D

carole
02-23-2005, 02:17 PM
You know I used to wear Charlie perfume too, until one of the boss guys complained, I did a mail run around a factory as part of my job, I always used to give myself a spray before leaving to do it, one of the head moncho's complained when I came in, his office reeked of perfume, he did not like it, Poo face.

Ah yes Boob Tubes we called them here, they have made a comeback in fashion, I used to wear one to work,
:o :o now that I think of it, oh well I did then have the figure for it, so heck why not?:eek:

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by GraciesMommy
I graduated in 78..........wow

I got married in '79 :)
Oh, and the first perfume I ever bought was CHARLIE 's too!
Sweet old memories :)

RICHARD
02-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Hai Karate and Don Kirschner's Rock Concert, 45's -records not the boobs!!!!;)

Last Tango in Paris......lololololol, I never looked at butter the same after that.:eek:

PJ's Mom
02-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by GraciesMommy
I graduated in 78..........wow

I was 12 in 78. :o

micki76
02-23-2005, 04:02 PM
I was 12 in 78. :o

I was 11, :o but I remember most of this stuff fondly. ;)

I got this list off the net, but I remember some of my own:
Rainbow suspenders
Mork from Ork (nanoo-nanoo)
Roller Derby on TV
Happy Days and all of Fonzi's stunts (wow, was I ever impressed) :rolleyes: :p
Playing in the sprinkler in the summer
Listening to ONJ, ELO and The Carpenters ALL THE TIME
Having a crush on Shaun Cassidy and Andy Gibb
Satin jackets (mine was baby blue and had Shaun Cassidy's picture on the back, lol)
Jeans with something embroidered on the back pockets
T-shirts with iron on transfers (I remember going to the t-shirt shop and picking out what you wanted on the front, then you got your name on the back in fuzzy letters) :D
Moccasins
Pink Huffy bikes
:D

Jadapit
02-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Omg I totally loved my moccasins. I used to wear them with my fringe jacket. Lol. :D I had the crush on David Cassidy. That tells you that I'm older than you.;)

PJ's Mom
02-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by micki76

Having a crush on Shaun Cassidy and Andy Gibb

You too!? Did you have the posters? :D

micki76
02-23-2005, 04:37 PM
You too!? Did you have the posters? :D

Yep and ALL the pics from Teen Beat and Tiger Beat all over my walls. :D :o I think I also had the hots for Scott Baio. :o

Jadapit - I had a crush on David too, but that was when I was a bit older and they started repeating the Partridge Family in the early 80's. :D

I just remembered Toe Socks! Remember those? They were cute, but very uncomfortable with all that material in between your toes. :rolleyes:

Jadapit
02-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Oh yes, I remember toe socks. You could get them in all sorts of funky colors. Pop rocks remember them? I loved those things.:D

GraciesMommy
02-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Remember the Loves Baby Soft perfume? That is what I used to wear..and Charlie, too..

I remember the Earth Shoes..loved them...and the CPO jackets were a big deal too.

I loved David Cassidy, Donny Osmonds, Jackson 5...and HR PuffnStuff...watched it every Saturday.

I got married the first time in 79..High School Sweetheart...didn't last..sigh~~

Jadapit
02-23-2005, 04:55 PM
I do remember the Loves Baby Soft perfume. I liked it a lot. You know whats sad look at Michael Jackson now. What happened?:(

Twisterdog
02-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Whew! This actually made me feel young, since I remember very few of those things. I was eleven when the 70's were over. :D

carole
02-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Now you are talking, David Cassidy, Scott Baio, Donny Osmond, major crushes on them all, still have the hots for Donny, I saw him and Marie live in 83 I think it was, had seats 2nd from the front, oo la la.

I wonder what has happened to Scott Baio, never hear of him these days, Donny is as handsome as ever, and I think David is still hot too.:D

Did you guy's ever wear those things (cannot think of a name for them) that were made out of macrame type material that went around your ankles and big toe, often had a flower in the middle of your foot, they had not soles or sides to them, so it was barefeet and these adornments on them.?

GraciesMommy
02-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Saw Scott on the Happy Day Special last week...still cute as ever~

Corinna
02-23-2005, 06:16 PM
I graduated and gott married in 79 . What memories.

Holly's mom
02-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Does anyone remember Bobby Sherman? He was a cutie, too. I had a crush on David Cassidy, and don't forget Micky, Davey and Mike from the Monkees. :)

AbbyMom
02-23-2005, 09:01 PM
and don't forget Micky, Davey and Mike from the Monkees

and PETER! You forgot PETER! (Peter Tork) He was my favorite! (Right now I can't remember why...:) )

hahahah

carole
02-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Oh my gosh peter Tork was my favourite too, everyone else liked Davey and the rest, now I look back on him and think oh my what a Dork he was. lol:)

micki76
02-23-2005, 10:03 PM
My older sister was crazy about Mickey. That's who I'm named after. :o

popcornbird
02-23-2005, 10:13 PM
My older sister was crazy about Mickey. That's who I'm named after. :o

Really? And all this time, I was thinking you were named after Mickey Mouse...:D

I don't know any of this stuff. I didn't exist in the 70's. :p

Cincy'sMom
02-23-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't knowi f I caught the "reruns" in the 80's, or just quite how, but a lot of the stuff is familiar to me...and I wasn't born until '76!!

cloverfdx
02-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I was 2 years too late to be a Seventies baby ;). But i do remember alot of stuff on those list's.

Prince Charles grows a beard………really

I never knew that, LMBO :D

Oggyflute
02-23-2005, 11:51 PM
The seventies were great. I was young fit, & playing football.

I think I could leave the Brut and Old spice where they were though. :D

But huge Hrpuffnstuff fan. :D

Holly's mom
02-24-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by AbbyMom
and PETER! You forgot PETER! (Peter Tork) He was my favorite! (Right now I can't remember why...:) )

hahahah

No, I didn't forget Peter! I just never had a crush on him, it was the other three that I thought were HOT!:D

PJ's Mom
02-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Yep and ALL the pics from Teen Beat and Tiger Beat all over my walls. :D :o I think I also had the hots for Scott Baio. :o

Teen Beat and Tiger Beat!! Wow...memories. :D

tatsxxx11
02-24-2005, 10:03 AM
What a fun thread:D Thought of some others last night...

Gracie's Mom, I loved my CPO jacket! And Pea coat!
And those awful leisure suits...ICK!:D Thank goodness my Dad never wore one!

Anyone wear Frye boots? And Bass loafers!
Coulottes were big then too.
I wasn't a big Charlie! fan but got my first kiss dripping in Shalimar! Others perfumes Tabu (for the racey girls:D) and Ambush and Canoe and Jade East for guys. My first boyfriend wore Jade East and chewed Juicy Fruit gum...I still think of him when ever I smell Juicy fruit:D

We wore the original "low riders..." hip huggers, and "flares," bell bottoms, with those awful wide belts! Only difference our hiney cracks weren't showing:D
Halter necks and tube tops and "poor boys" and velour pullovers.

Anyone mention disco??? You couldn't turn on the radio without hearing "Do the Hustle" every 5 minutes; or Donna Summer or Carly Simon's..."You're So Vain." Still wondering who HE was:D Punk... the Sex Pistols, Ramons, were really more early 80's. LOVED David Cassidy and Peter Tork!

And slip and slides, those plastic sheets you ran the hose down then took a dive on! Wonder how we didn't kill ourselves on those things. But then again we walked to school, rode bikes without helmets. And on Saturdays we were gone all day without checking in; just had to be home by the time the street lights came on.

Disco balls
Mood rings
Pet rocks...

Oh, those were the days!:D

GraciesMommy
02-24-2005, 10:23 AM
POW bracelets..I was 12 I think when I got one so that was 72

Had to watch American Bandstand every Saturday...and occasionally Soul Train...but Midnight Special on Friday night was THE thing to watch..

I miss those days~~life sure was simple altho at the time we thought it wasn't..I'm sure..

I remember laying on the kitchen floor, feet on the wall...talking to friends on the only phone we had in the house...with a super extra long cord. That was always what I got grounded from too!

RICHARD
02-24-2005, 12:29 PM
I took a media/journalism summer school course during the summer of 72 and we got to go to the CBS studios on a tour.

At that time the Jackson 5 television show was being taped and we got to see them do a song or two.

I got to see Micheal before his vitiligo!!!
:confused: :p :cool: :eek:

carole
02-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Did someone mention Disco,? I loved Disco and guess what I still do today, I have often thought of starting a club for everyone who was crazy about as I was, saturday night fever, bring it on.:D

RICHARD
02-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Saturday Night Fever dancefloor for sale

The multi-coloured dancefloor where a white-suited John Travolta strutted his stuff in Saturday Night Fever is to be auctioned.

The cult item of memorabilia from the 1977 movie has been saved from a doomed Brooklyn nightclub.

Organisers of the auction are expecting bids of more than 80,000 dollars (£42,000) for the piece of Hollywood history.

The 24-feet by 16-feet dancefloor, which came to symbolise the 70s disco craze, has more than 300 coloured flashing lights under a Perspex surface.

The club where the dance floor had been a fixture since the movie was made closed last week after being sold to a real estate investment company.

Bar owner Jay Rizzo who saved the floor told the New York Post: "It has literally been the heartbeat of this club."

Saturday Night Fever earned Travolta an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of teenage Brooklyn paint-store clerk Tony Manero, who every Saturday night would take to the dancefloor.

The dance floor will be auctioned on April 1 with bids expected in a live sale and on eBay.

carole
02-24-2005, 02:56 PM
Totally GREEN with envey, gee would I love that dance floor, preferably with the young John Travolta, ok even the old one will do nicely thanks., such a sweet guy is John, .......:D

Oggyflute
02-25-2005, 12:49 AM
I was actually into wearing "death to disco" t-shirts:D

Used to wear a purple waistcoat & purple headband, (had hair way past my shoulders), Levi jeans, (flares just wern't cool enough) and waxed lyrical about how rock was much better than the eunuchs Gibb. :D

Catsnclay
02-25-2005, 01:39 PM
OMG!! This brought back some really great memories for me!!

I remember my senior prom, we matched our oufits, I wore a pale blue long dress, and his tux was powder blue. <still have that picture in a sealed memory box along with the corsage!>

I also had the Farrah do, a P coat, fringed leather jacket with matching (long) fringed purse, POW braclet, my favorite pants at the time were burgandy low riders in cordoroy, Platform & earth shoes, my very own 1969 Camaro and yes I even got a small tattoo on the back of my right shoulder - which I successfully kept a secret from my family for a year! :eek: :rolleyes:

I also got married in '78 (but it didn't last long). I'm sure I will be thinking about this all day now, and smiling :D :D Those were the good old days when I didn't have any bills or health problems. Can we turn back time?? :p

RICHARD
02-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Oggyflute
I was actually into wearing "death to disco" t-shirts:D

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/DiscoDemolition.htm

DUDE!!

Check THIS out!!!!

This is a good laugh......A double header is two baseball games played back-to-back. They don't happen as much anymore....
But this is one that Chicago will never forget......

Oggyflute
02-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/DiscoDemolition.htm

DUDE!!

Check THIS out!!!!

This is a good laugh......A double header is two baseball games played back-to-back. They don't happen as much anymore....
But this is one that Chicago will never forget......

wow! the disco sucks thing had been heard of down under, though I never realised to the extent of what actually happened. People in Aus most likely copied the idea on to the death to disco thing. At the time there was a huge rise in the popularity of pub rock bands, which was causing a bit of a backlash on the disco sales and airplay. Of course this also led to the rise of a few confrontations with other patrons and police etc. My local place to watch bands was notorious for it. Every Saturday night a fight would errupt in some bar, the three combatants being bikie gangs, police and locals. It was a bit of fun I suppose when I was in my teens, but how I never got my head caved in sometimes I would never know.
I'm quite glad I live a rather sedate life now with my partner and puppies. :D

GraciesMommy
02-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Remember making purses from old blue jeans? And macrame purses, too..
and incense .. we painted rocks wild colors to sit the little incense on to burn...we were so cool..lol

I drove a red 68 Malibu..my first car...and I was 16...what a car! The boys loved to "flip the breather" on it so it would be loud and my dad would get sooooo mad..lol

Catsnclay
02-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Ooh....remember the "Pet Rock"???!!!! :cool:

tatsxxx11
02-26-2005, 03:53 PM
And Chia Pets?:D

Prairie Purrs
02-26-2005, 04:10 PM
I went to high school in the early '70s and thought at the time that I was totally uncool--but I had waist-length hair, wore bell-bottoms, miniskirts, and hot pants, drove a '68 Mustang, and loved Firesign Theatre. Looking back, I guess I was pretty cool after all! :D

dukedogsmom
02-27-2005, 07:27 AM
I had a mood ring and a pet rock. Remember Don Kirshner's rock concerts? I remember one time there was a guy wearing clear thick high heeled boots and the heels had real goldfish swimming in them. I also had more than one of those velour shirts. I loved them. I also did the macrame. Here's a link about the rock concerts.
http://www.historicfilms.com/news_articles/archivezone_fall_2002.html
Maybe the boots didn't have real fish. I found this pic
http://www.strangezoo.com/images/content/16481.JPG
from strangezoo.com
I had forgotten about these. Remember the razor blade earrings?
http://www.screamingmimis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SM&Product_Code=JE01&Category_Code=JE

Amber
02-27-2005, 03:50 PM
even though I wasnt alive in the 70s, the 70s was my favorite time era, and it fasinates me so much!

I wish I was living in that time..

prechrswife
02-27-2005, 05:13 PM
I was born in 1972, but I do remember a lot of the things that were mentioned. Every girl in elementary school had a crush on Shaun Cassidy, and all of us had Grease t-shirts.:)