PDA

View Full Version : What else is new?

catnapper
02-23-2005, 08:22 AM
It seems injuries are just another day at the catnapper home. Pouncer has been holding his paw in the air... me being so sick never paid any mind to it. Last night I trimmed his nails and did well until I got to the foot he has been holding up... and he didn't react so well. Even then, I assumed it was nothing because he's been such a brat about nail clipping lately.

This this moring I watched him jump up onto the railing and he held his paw in the air before the jump and after the jump. Then he proceeded to wash it. Hmmm... calll meowmie dense, but that sounds like a boo-boo. I tried to lightly press on the paw and he cried. Yup. That sounds like a boo-boo.

Since I have NO money for the vet (and no money to take me to the doctor) I know that even if it is borken (my vast experience from his broken paw of last spring) that there's really not much we can do for it... just keep an eye out for signs of infection. I'll ask the vet if they think Clavamox is in order and at least pick that up for him.

Please pray for my nawtee boy. I wonder what on earth he could have gotten into in the house that would have hurt his paw?

moosmom
02-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Oh Kim,

Pouncer sounds so mischievious!! Check your PM's okay? I'll pray for both you and Pouncer.

If his paw is broken, there really isn't alot you can do. It can't be set. Hopefully, it will heal itself.

((((hugs)))))) to you and the wonderful work you do!

catmandu
02-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Pouncer,may have landed awkwardly,or more likely,may havesomething stuck,in his paw pad,that is causing him,pain.If you can loo,at his paw,see,if there is anything,likea puncture.This happened,to my Pouncer,and it turned out,that she knocked over,a glass,and picked,up,a tiny sliver,of glass.After a trip,to the White Coats,and 45 Dollars later,she was better,this was in 1984,I imagine,that it is a lot more,now.Good Luck,on Pouncers Paw.

kimlovescats
02-23-2005, 08:49 AM
Oh dear!!! I agree with Gary, that Pouncer may have something stuck in his paw .... but I would think it would start getting infected if he did. hmmmmm ..... I hope whatever it is heals itself quickly, so you can get your rest and get well!

((((HUGS)))

Laura's Babies
02-23-2005, 09:15 AM
POUNCER!! What are you doing now boy?? Show Mommie that paw and let her check it out good so she can help it get all better!!

ratchet22
02-23-2005, 09:54 AM
I have had several injured paws, and all healed fine. Appeared like they either stepped on something or landed wrong. Maybe lock him in the bedroom or something, so he stays calm amd mellow allowing it to heal quicker, Let us know the update!

catcrazylady
02-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Pouncer, Pouncer, Pouncer! You are forever worrying your poor meowmie.
I'm thinking that if it were broken he probably wouldn't want to put a lot of weight on it and wouldn't want to do much jumping. Of course, this is Pouncer we are talking about! Hopefully it's nothing serious and he will be up and running soon. I would just keep an eye out and make sure no infection develops if he does have something stuck in there.

I hope you feel better soon Kim. I know you have been miserable lately. That flu is nasty stuff.

Shady
02-23-2005, 10:18 AM
I've had similar, she would not put weight on it, and would whimper if you probed it.

I did take her to the vet, and under examination, which the vet said she would most certainly yelp in great pain when she manipulated it, she did whimper but not the show the vet expected in the event of a break. It was decided without x-rays that it was a very bad sprain with bruising. She didnt say anything about watching for infection (I suspect because she knew it wasnt broken) but she did say that these things can take 3-6 weeks to heal to where the kitty is back to it's normal activity.

True enough that's what happened. Five weeks later good as new.

Hopefully your kitty is similarly affected.

Good luck. :)

catnapper
02-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Pouncer won't let me get close enough to look, but from what I can tell, where the pain is the fiercest for him, its a spot where its highly unlikely he has something in his paw. Nawtee boy probably just sprained it good chasing after Abby. If so - he deserves it!

kuhio98
02-23-2005, 10:44 AM
If he's walking on it, it's probably a sprain. When Pepper broke her toe, she wouldn't put any weight on it at all. And since he's still performing his usual "death defying" leaps, it's probably not giving him too much pain ~ except if you try to kiss his boo boo, of course ~ then they act like it's a major ordeal. :rolleyes:

jazzcat
02-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Poor Pouncer. Does he win the accident prone award? If not, he is definitely in the lead.

catnapper
02-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Ok, I'm thinking his last toe is broken. I finally worked up the nerve to investigate a bit more thotoghly. He screamed in pain any time I got near the last toe. I couldn't get even removtely enough pressure on the toe to extend the nail and look to see what the nail looks like.

I gave him a pain pill, and will check in a bit once the meds kick in to see what he did to the nail. What one Earth has he done to himself now?

jenluckenbach
02-23-2005, 06:53 PM
All I can say is POOR POUNCER!

moosmom
02-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Another guess. Is is possible that you missed one of his claws when clipping them and it's grown into his pad????

If not, I'm stumped!!

catnapper
02-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Donna, I didn't even clip that whole paw last night - his reaction was that fierce and I was not in the mood to fight with him. I am good about keeping nails trimmed, especially his because of his tendency to swat at Abby, so I can't see how I would have missed a nail before to have it grow inwards. :confused:

QueenScoopalot
02-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Kim, I'm sending you a straitjacket for Pouncer! That boy gets into more accidents. I sure hope his paw is going to be OK. Not easy keeping him still for long though huh? :confused:

rg_girlca
02-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Oh Pouncer, I hope your little paw feels better real soon and Kim, I hope you are finally on your way to feeling better also.

catnapper
02-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Ok, I got a closer look at it now. The toe is "wet" and I squeezed as hard as I dared and no nail came out. Looks like a call to the white coat in the morning.