PDA

View Full Version : Calling Your Pet By The Wrong Name

Pam
12-21-2001, 05:46 AM
Have you ever called one of your furkids by the wrong name? I admitted sometime back that I have, at times, called Trevor by Andy's name by mistake or vice versa. I guess my mouth opens before my brain goes into gear. Well this morning I created a totally different furkid. Bella and Trevor were playing and I meant to call Bella and saw Trev there too and I called her Trella! :D Of course they are probably both wondering what is wrong with me! :rolleyes:

Former User
12-21-2001, 06:24 AM
:o yes... at the beginning when we got Casper and Kitty, I kept saying Capser instead of Casper. I don't know what was so hard in it for me. And occasinally I might call Kitty a good boy and Casper a good girl :o :o (but only when I'm tired). Poor kitties.... :rolleyes:

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Casper & Kitty ]

Gio
12-21-2001, 06:46 AM
I must admit it happens to me more than I like to admit.. :o . But I think it's even worse when you start calling people with your pets names!!! :D :D .

My father is special for that, he wanted to call one of my sisters one day but before he got to say the right name he practically listed all of our cats, even those that are sadly at the bridge. Obviously we never take offence, someone else could be less understanding though! :D

4 feline house
12-21-2001, 09:47 AM
When my son was younger I used to call him Zebo, I guess because Zebo had been my "son" long before Alan even came along! Zebo was such a good kitty I almost never had to scold him, but Alan was a typical boy. It seemed I was always yelling "Alan! Stop it!". So I guess it was only natural that one of the few times I got on to Zebo I again yelled "Alan! Stop it!"

Daisylover
12-21-2001, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I guess I'm like my Dad....he always had to run through everyone's name before he got to the right one. I do that too with the bunnies. When someone is acting up and I say the wrong name, it's like a typical little kid, the ears go up and the LOOK says "who me? I didn't do THAT" and then I realize I got it wrong yet AGAIN!!!!! And I am way to young to start this.

Edwina's Secretary
12-21-2001, 10:34 AM
I was the youngest of four children in a house that also contained various animals. I would patiently wait for my mother to go down the list to me. I'm not so patient now (since it not USUALLY that I'm in trouble) so when she starts down a list of names or calls me the dog or cat's name I respond without waiting. The funny thing is my siblings and I have "become our mother!" My sister often calls me by her daughter's name and visa versa. Same with my brother. The animals hopefully respond to tone more than name since Edwina gets called Leslie, Gavin gets called KC etc. Strangely though it only happens when the family is together.

PJ's Mom
12-21-2001, 11:50 AM
What's really fun is when you yell at the dog using your hubby's name. :D

AmberLee
12-21-2001, 12:30 PM
ROTFL!!! It used to exasperate me when our mother would 'call roll' to get to whichever of us she wanted. My sister is usually called by my name; I'm usually called by mom's sister's name ... We now respond with "No, I'm the other <insert name here>". And now I find it's something I do, too. Is it genetic? Age (gulp)? precurser to insanity?

"Sassy, Livvy, Cassy -- whoever the heck you are, STOPPIT!!!" ;) :D :rolleyes: :eek: :D

gini
12-21-2001, 12:50 PM
I often find that I call Mr. Rascal, Mr. Magic (rainbow bridge) and it brings a lump to my throat.

But what really got to me as I wrote out Christmas cards, is that I signed them, Gini and Patches (Rainbow Bridge, May, 2001)
and I had to rip up the card.

I just have to give myself a minute to allow my brain and my tongue to become untwisted and then start again.

Rascal just sits there waiting........Are ya talkin to me?????

AmberLee
12-21-2001, 12:58 PM
{{{Gini}}},

This Christmas season it seems I'm obsessing about my furbaby who went to the rainbow bridge last spring. In a way, it was a relief to read your message and realize I'm not alone in this. Thank you -- it helps.

{{{PetTalk gang}}} <-- virtual hug for all the PT gang and how we/they(?) look out for one another and understand.

thelmalu99
12-21-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Daisylover:
<STRONG>Yeah, I guess I'm like my Dad....he always had to run through everyone's name before he got to the right one. </STRONG>

http://bbs2.fanforum.com/images/smilies/LOL.gif Yeah, that's my Grandma! She's so funny!

Gini, I sometimes call one of my guys Charlie (RB kitty) and sometimes (depending on the time of the month :rolleyes: ) it makes me cry.

Speaking of this type of thing, one time when I called my mom, she did something funny. I am her only child, so there's no excuse:

Mom: Hello?
Me: Hi, mommy.
Mom: Who's this?
Me: Uh, how many children do you have again??

:D

Former User
12-21-2001, 01:38 PM
LOL Thelma :D

SimbaTWonderDog
12-21-2001, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom:
<STRONG>What's really fun is when you yell at the dog using your hubby's name. :D</STRONG>

....or using your brothers name hehehe.. ive called Simba , Kenny more times than i can count!

*LabLoverKEB*
12-21-2001, 07:26 PM
LOL!!! :D Sometimes, my Grandpa calls Sadie, Sarah, and calls me, Sadie!!! :D :rolleyes:

joycenalex
12-22-2001, 09:34 AM
my youngest brother until he was in kindergarten thought his name was "joycewandadivideddie!", which was what our father used to say when there was a rumpus in the house. :) now when all the kids, dogs and adults are around, and causing a rumpus my (now middle aged) brother hollers "kids out", "dogs out" kind of a group effect again! smiles& woofs

Rottie
12-22-2001, 04:45 PM
About a year ago when we were fostering a GSD named Greta I would always get her and Iris mixed up. From the top they looked identical. You'd just glance over and call the dog or whatever and it would be the wrong one! :D

Sometimes I mix up Raven & Iris, but I never mix up Carl with the other two, they're just too much different to mix them up. :)

RachelJ
12-23-2001, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty good at getting their names right, but once in a while one of the RB doggies names will pop out. What is hard is that I used to have two female dogs and referred to them as girls. "Okay, girls, time to go out." Now that I have one of each, I say girls and boys, even though technically that isn't correct - one of each. Have resorted to "Club Members" as a derivative of Girls and Boys Club. Somehow it never occurs to me to just say "dogs".

TheAntiPam
12-23-2001, 01:30 PM
I am afraid I'm causing a gender and species identity crisis in two miniature poodles. I have two male cats, but I dogsit for two female poodles. I often catch myself saying to the dogs "Are you being good kitties today?" Or "C'mon boys, time to go outside".
They always seem happy no matter what, so perhaps the damage is minimal! :)

I never get my cats confused with the dogs, however. Of course, my cats seldom answer to anything I say - after all, they are cats! :D :D :D