PDA

View Full Version : New Chinchilla

Zoo
07-06-2001, 09:02 PM
Hi everyone! I have just gotten a standard grey 8 months old chinchilla exactly a week ago. I live in Hawaii and it can get pretty hot during the day. Any suggestion to how I can help my baby stay cool? Unfortunately I don't have a AC, I keep my fan on during the day when I am at work, and I've read that it doesn't help because a chinchilla doesn't sweat. Please help! :confused:

4 feline house
07-06-2001, 10:28 PM
I don't know how hot it gets in Hawaii, but I have a friend here in N. TX who also has a chinchilla with no A/C. She keeps a fan on in the room (it still helps, even tho your baby doesn't perspire, becuase the fan will still move the hot air off your little guy - your car radiator does not sweat, either, but your car's fan still cools it off) and gives him his volcanic ash once a day, and he seems to do fine. It normally stay 95-105 from May to September here to give you a comparison.

AdoreMyDogs
07-07-2001, 10:40 AM
Hi Zoo.

I have never been to Hawaii but my good friend just got back and she mentioned the extreme humidity was worse then the actual heat. I would suggest a fan to keep the Chin cool, but also a de-humidifier will keep little chin cool. I have raised and bred chinchillas and I do know that they like to be on the cool side, I always kept mine in a room with a hardwood floor because it would stay cooler then a room with carpeting. And I am sure you know that shutting blinds/shears/curtins during the day is also good to keep out extra heat. The daily dust bath will be important, especially with the heat and humidity.

Congrats on your new baby :) Chinchillas are so adorable. I hope you enjoy many, many years together.

Karen
07-07-2001, 11:21 AM
I don't know if this would help with a chinchilla, but when it gets really hot here - hot and muggy, (bleah) we freeze a plastic bottle of water, and put it near where our rabbit relaxes/snoozes during the hottest parts of the day. It creates a little cool zone, and of course collects condensation which she can lick off for a nice cool sip of water. It's cheap, (they're my leftover Fruit2-O bottles), and by having two bottles in rotation, there's always a cool one waiting.

We don't, in Massachuestts, have the constant heat/humidity, but we get stretches of it that feel like forever!

Corinna
07-07-2001, 07:32 PM
The frozen water bottle is good but keep it outside the cage,as it melts and the moisture beads up it will really mat up the fur NEVER get a chin wet.
I have raised them for 10 years, the ash and a fan not directly on it is good.

Zoo
07-09-2001, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all your replies, they are all very helpful. I read that putting a few ice cubes in a tin bowl so they can lean on it can help. But I never tried because I worried about the condensation. But I will give the frozen bottle a try. I would say we are at about an average of 85 degrees during the summer. Which is not bad compare to the mainland, I am just being extremely careful.

Also, if you could help me with this one. How long does it usually take for a chin to get use to you? I let her out and she just loves it, running all over the place, she is really good about going back to her cage, I just have to ask her. But she doesn't like it when I carry her, but loves to be petted. Is that how it all begins? Thanks Again!