PDA

View Full Version : Hobo and the wolf

Glacier
02-21-2005, 01:48 PM
A year ago today, a wolf tried to turn Hobo into his dinner. Hobo wasn't even my dog at the time. I was caring for him and 13 of his teammates while their musher was hospitalized. The very first night they were in my yard a wolf came through and attacked two of them. Little brave Hobo, all 35 pounds of him, probably saved his entire team from the wolf's teeth. Hobo slipped his collar and ran and ran and ran. Despite a belly that was ripped wide open, a badly injured back leg, Hobo ran and kept running until he found a safe house. Hobo suffered many injured to his back end as the wolf chased him. The muscles supporting his tail were torn, his rectum and sphincter muscles were torn. My vet was sure he would never regain bowel control, if he survived at all and for the first week even that was in doubt.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/relaxed_hobo_23607724.jpg

When his musher was able to take his team home, Hobo was left behind as payment for the vet bill. Hobo still needed intensive care. He suffered several setbacks in his recovery including a wound on his back leg that wouldn't close, an infection that got into the bone on his front leg. But by the end of July Hobo was fine and on July 31 he made his first training run in harness.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/hobo_rest.jpg

Today, Hobo is fully recovered. The only sign of the attack are some scars visible on his back legs and semi-circle that was ripped out of his ear. The biggest scar is psychological. Hobo is afraid of the dark. He won't sleep outside anymore and has claimed a spot beside our bed. In the summer he will sometimes spend warm nights outdoors, but it never gets dark here that time of year.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/hobo3.jpg

Hobo's gait is a little off when he's tired now and occasionally he limps when he's done too much. But he's still a harness banging lunatic in the team. He wants to come every time we go for a run. He's full of energy and 35 pounds of solid muscle. He has to run alone as he is too nutty to put beside another dog--he scares them. So now I run a seven dog team on the days Hobo comes along.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/hobo2.jpg

Last night, we had the pleasure of hosting Hobo's old owner for dinner. Jim has recovered from his injures and is racing again. He broke his pelvis when his sled hit a tree last year. The other dog injured along with Hobo has also recovered. Diesel's gait has changed, but he is back sprint racing. Diesel was with Jim last night and it was nice to see the little guy again! Jim told us all sorts of stories about Hobo's younger days, all of which confirmed what we see in him now. Hobo clearly remembered Jim and was happy to see him. However, when Jim left, Hobo ran to the bedroom and snuggled into his bed. He was not taking any chances that he might have to go. Jim left still giggling about how Hobo had "lucked out".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/huh_hobo.jpg
Hobo is my happiest little dog. He greets every day with pure joy. Every meal is appreciated like he hasn't been fed in days. Whenever he gets a treat, he gives my hand a quick "thank you" lick before running off with his treasure. He does the Hobo Dance of Joy regularly all day long. Both his physical and mental strength amaze me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/happy_hobo.jpg
The wolf attack was the start of a very bad month around here last year. We lost Hoodoo a week later, Preacher got sick and all the dogs got kennel cough. Through everything, there was always one happy face in the house. Despite the fact that he was in pain and I was popping pills down his throat three times a day & flushing wound drains twice a day, Hobo always greeted me with a grin and a tail wag. His fur soaked up many tears and there were days I would not have gotten out of bed if I hadn't had to take care of Hobo. I am forever grateful that he survived, that Jim gave him to me and for his addition to this pack. He's an amazing little dog who brings me great joy, occasionally frustration, but never a dull moment! I do love the little lunatic!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/hobo_run.jpg

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-21-2005, 02:15 PM
I loved you post, Glacier. And loved seeing the pictures of Hobo. I remember very well last year when he was injured. The poor fella. It's great to see how well he healed and what a great dog he is. I just adore his furry face!

ramanth
02-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Has it really been a year?! :eek: Oh Glacier, Hobo looks wonderful. :)

RobiLee
02-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Oh I remember this well.

Glacier your post brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful tribute for Hobo. Such wonderful pictures to go along with it.

Make sure you give that sweet guy a hug and kiss from me!

Robin :)

Dixieland Dancer
02-21-2005, 03:20 PM
What a great story! I'm glad Hobo had you and you had Hobo to make it through tough times. I wish you both many more happy years together. :)

pitc9
02-21-2005, 04:41 PM
I have tears pouring down my face right now just as I did a year ago when you first told us about the attack.

No doubt Hobo knows all you have done for him! He'll never forget it!

Jadapit
02-21-2005, 04:45 PM
What a beautiful tribute to Hobo! He has come so far and so much of that is due to your love and care! You seem truly remarkable with all your dogs.:)

Uabassoon
02-21-2005, 04:46 PM
What a wonderful and well written story about such an amazing dog. I still remember reading about this last year and how worried I was for him. It makes me so happy to see him all better and to see pictures of him running around with that happy puppy look on his face! :)

captain
02-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Your post brought tears to my eyes ......... how beautiful!

Hobo, you sure did luck out. Your Mum is Fabulous ....

{{{hugs}}}

dukedogsmom
02-21-2005, 05:30 PM
I remember that now! I didn't realise he was such a small dog. He looks a lot bigger in the pics. Your telling of him brought tears to my eyes. I'm sad that the wolf attack has left mental scars with him. However, he's got the best home now. I know he's loved and spoiled rotten. I love that pic of him smiling.

Cincy'sMom
02-21-2005, 07:17 PM
What an amazing story. I remember whenthe attack happen, andit is so amazing to see how well Hobo has recovered. A story that need to be published!

Kater
02-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Hobo the harness banging lunatic! :D LOL!
What an amazing story about a brave little dog and a wonderful guardian with the patience to help him heal.

I cried when I read about the attack and I'm crying now, but these are tears of joy. That last picture of Hobo is priceless and really captures his zest for life! :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this story into words accented with pictures. I really enjoyed it!

mruffruff
02-21-2005, 07:38 PM
I remember the original thread, too, but didn't realize the exact injuries.

I had tears in my eyes reading your tribute to Hobo. He's a brave, wonderful little guy. And you're a great caregiver.

Another story that needs to be published.

Mary

cyber-sibes
02-21-2005, 07:53 PM
What a great story - and Hobo is such a brave dog! I can't imagine trying to outrun a wolf as you're being attacked! Hobo sure has heart! He looks so happy - I love the "Hobo Dance of Joy" - you and he were definitly meant to be there for each other!

Dot
02-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Wonderful story....beautifully written! Thank you, and thank you, Hobo!

Dot :-)

kt_luvs_kitties
02-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Hobo looks very happy where he is now. *HUGS* to Hobo, and his mommy:D

Lilith Cherry
02-22-2005, 02:11 AM
Oh what a wonderful story! Hobo is dog-sized package of pure joy!

I cannot see pictures posted on photobucket ( they dont download here in China) but I have seen pictures of your wonderful dogs sometimes and think they are beautiful! May you and Hobo enjoy many years of joy together!

EssTer
02-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by ramanth
Has it really been a year?! :eek:

I was thinking EXACT same thing!! Time goes SO fast!!
I´m happy that Hobo is ok now, he´s happy and wonderful doggy! Great pics Glacier ;)