PDA

View Full Version : A Great Sadness

Karen
09-11-2001, 08:55 AM
There have been several attacks and great tragedies in the United States today. Please keep all the people and animals of Boston, from where one of the planes was hijacked, of New York, where the World Trade towers were hit by large aircraft, and of Washington D.C. and the Pentagon in your thoughts and prayers.

Gio
09-11-2001, 09:21 AM
This is too horrible for words. I'm thinking of you all. Take care

AdoreMyDogs
09-11-2001, 09:24 AM
A dear, sweet woman who works here was so proud when her daughter moved to NYC and began working in the world trade center just 3 short weeks ago. She does not know yet if her daughter is still alive or if she was one of the victoms. I am becide myself with grief...at work now but I can't work. I am so sad, and I am also afraid because I have never expeirenced anything like this before. This is the beginning of a war and I am afraid of that.

All those people, those people on vacation in those airplanes, those families, the horrified people in the W.T.C., the people in the Pentegon....all the innocent lives and it keeps happening...more and more bombs and possibly more hijacked planes. Disgusted and afraid...sadened and mournful.

Now more then ever prayers are needed.

Paul
09-11-2001, 09:31 AM
   It is almost impossible to reach news websites even though it seems like everyone is watching TV. All that it is clear is that the Unites States has been attacked in Washington, DC and New York City. Even now all airline flights throught the US have been grounded or diverted away from the US.

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: Paul ]

thelmalu99
09-11-2001, 09:45 AM
This is a terrible tragedy. Let's all pray for the families of the victims.
Here in New York, our World Trade Center towers (visible from where I work) are both gone. We still have no idea how many people we have lost.

God bless all of you. Stay safe.

4 feline house
09-11-2001, 09:53 AM
We've all been in the conference room, watching ABC and praying. We have sites in 30 states, including New York, we also have people travelling today (one is still unaccounted for) and since our company is preparing for the IPO, we had people at Merrill Lynch in New York.

God help America.

I'm glad to hear from you, Thelma, and know you're okay.

Since we are in a highrise in a major city (Dallas) we have been allowed to go home.

Dixieland Dancer
09-11-2001, 10:03 AM
This is just to hard to imagine. It is like a story out of a horror book.

My oldest son (25) is a US Marine and will be the first to be deployed. I am just to upset to think coherently. How can this happen??????? Why are people so heartless?????? While I am sitting here my hands are shaking and the tears are welling up in my eyes. I am at work and wish I was at home with Dixie and Dusty so that I could just hug them and get soloce from their love!!!!

Please Dear Lord, help us to make some sense out of this senseless tragedy.

nsweezie
09-11-2001, 10:11 AM
To the people of the US-
As a Canadian, I feel great sadness for the events that have struck your country today.
Please know that you have the thoughts and prayers of our whole country.
Louise

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-11-2001, 10:23 AM
You gus have no idea how scared I am. I live in a medium size town about 40 miles away from Atlanta, my mother, father, and youngest brother live int middle east. I am so terrified that we will bomb the area over there and something horrible will happen to my family. My aunts, uncles, and their families live in the middle east. Andrew is an aviation officer in the US Army and if a war breaks out, I am sure he will be deployed.

I am so upset about all the people that have died or gotten hurt today. Theier families too.

God Help Us!

Cougie Wechsler
09-11-2001, 10:46 AM
Everyone is in my prayers today - to all our pet talkers in New York City and Washington DC areas, please be safe, stay home, and know that we are praying together for you. We are all one big family here and support for eachother will help us get through this. God Bless us all!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-11-2001, 10:51 AM
My father-in-law and brothers-in-law are National Guard, so I too hope they aren't deployed. I just hope they can figure out who did this, because this is an act of war. It's like Pearl Harbor again.

Just keep praying for everyone's souls.

I just heard that a plane with a bomb landed at Cleveland - that's just a couple of hours away!

nsweezie
09-11-2001, 10:53 AM
I was going to add as well- flights are being sent to Halifax. If anyone knows of a loved one on a flight that is going to be redirected to Halifax please contact me at [email protected], and I would be more than happy to have that person stay at my house. Halifax is not a big city, and there are not many hotels here, so people are being asked to have anyone stranded here stay in their homes.

Cougie Wechsler
09-11-2001, 10:57 AM
God Bless you Newsweezie for your generous offer. You are amazing! :)

aly
09-11-2001, 11:03 AM
themalu, I thank God that you are safe. Please be careful.

Dixieland Dancer, I know how you are feeling. This thing is so awful. My ex-boyfriend who is also my best friend in the world is a US Marine and I can't get ahold of him :( I wish this was a bad nightmare.

Gio
09-11-2001, 11:07 AM
My heart goes out to everyone. Those in danger areas (is there a safe one?) please take care. I know your lines are all overloaded, I know it's not much but if someone wants me to try to get hold of one of their dear ones just let me know.

Souraya I will spend a special thought for you and your whole family, I cannot even start of imagine how horrible this must be for you. Be strong and take care.

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: Gio ]

Cougie Wechsler
09-11-2001, 11:13 AM
Thelmalu99 I am so glad that you are okay.

Dixieland Dancer
09-11-2001, 11:16 AM
I had not heard of a bomb on a plane in Cleveland. I do believe the plane that crashed outside of Pittsburgh was from Cleveland going to Chicago. It is still sketchy.

Souraya,
Hopefully our country will not retaliate without knowing for sure who is responsible. We were quick to think it was a place in the Middle East that caused the terrorist attack on the Oklahoma Federal Building when it was one of our own. I will pray for all our military being deployed. Hopefully Andrew is not among them. I know my son was on gaurd to be deployed before this even happened so I am sure he is gone already. We can not reach him.

This is too difficult to imagine and only God knows for sure how this will play out.

wolflady
09-11-2001, 11:21 AM
This is just sick!! Why is there so much hatred in the world?? It's wierd, because we're all at work here in our little office, but I don't think many people are really motivated to work on our little application when stuff like this is going on. I hardly even know what to do with myself today!! This is truely a monumentous disaster today in America. My heart goes out to all those families affected by this horrible disaster. They are in my thoughts and prayers....

aly
09-11-2001, 11:26 AM
Is this true that the Palestineans are celebrating??

4 feline house
09-11-2001, 11:46 AM
Fifteen minutes after our prayer meeting at work, where it was announced we were allowed to go home, we had another meeting, where we were required to go home. The combination fo the remote danger (highrise in a major city) and the fact that nothing was getting done anyway, they decided to close. This was about 10:30. The Federal Building and most of the highrises were being volunatarily evacuated, and the streets were quite crowded considering it was no longer rush hour but not yet lunch hour. The mid-day light rail was more crowded than a rush-hour train. Some people on the radio had likened the shock to the American people to the day Kennedy was shot, and I though of that as the train passed the school book depository and passed over the grassy knoll. There were so many people leaving downtown that there was an extra suburban train scheduled, and it was full.

We Americans have always had a sense of security, clearly false. I wonder how anything this massive could have been undertaken with absolutely no warning. Where was the CIA?

On the way home, a woman noticed a bag left on the train. She was very nervous. We all chuckled with her, noting that any other day it would have been clearly a bag of trash to be disgusted at. She said she thought her days of suspecting everything were over when she left Ireland. Welcome to the real world, America.

I live two miles from one of the country's busiest airports. It is eerily silent today, no jets roaring overhead as usual.

I wondered where in the world all those planes were going to land. I half expected to see a 747 in my parking lot when I pulled up! Thank you, Canada!

A recurrent theme in my Sunday School class has been how much America has been turning away from God over the last decades. Now we will turn to God, because He is the only One who can be turned to at devastating times like this.

aly
09-11-2001, 11:46 AM
Spencer, can you post as soon as you find out where it crashed? I'm trying to follow all this news while calling my family and miss things.

Corinna
09-11-2001, 11:56 AM
I made the mistake of going into work forgetting that we have lots of guest from all over the world. no one could leave if on planes. So much scrambling to re schedule ins and outs and where some of our in coming are and if we can send our bus suttles to gather them up. Total mad house in our offices. We are a smaller resort and time share facilaty. I can't even imagine if you work at a larger place prayers for all America and thanks to all countries who are sending their support.
Have heard that all of our whitehouse peolpe from MOntana are safe. Hope all other states are hearing the same.
Karen Maybe we could set a time where in all time zones we could have a mass prayer as one body?

Paul
09-11-2001, 12:05 PM
   Aly, I have not seen reports of anyone anywhere in the world celebrating this attack.

Cougie Wechsler
09-11-2001, 12:08 PM
Remember to hug your loved ones, tell them you love them. Hug your fur babies today.

Corinna
09-11-2001, 12:11 PM
Paul in parts of Palistine the streets were full of people celebrating sick huh? We need to get out of that part of the world.

Gio
09-11-2001, 12:14 PM
Aly,

I'm still at work but I have most of my family glued to the television to keep me updated. There have been a few lunatics sort of cheering but the news report that the majority is in deep shock to what happened. And I would put them in the same league as those lowlife monsters who even contemplated to commit something like this. I'm sure that there are thousands of ordinary people everywhere who are just as horrified as we are (this is at least what I hope - sometimes it is so hard to have faith in the human race).

Corinna
09-11-2001, 12:14 PM
Is anyone on the pet talk have rescue or cadaver dogs ? are you packing to head out if so please let us know so we can pray for you and your teams.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-11-2001, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know a good website with audio/video webstream?

4 feline house
09-11-2001, 12:35 PM
I have both CNN and MSNBC up now, but it will probably be a while before any more real news occurs. They both are just basically updating their pictures.

Dixieland Dancer
09-11-2001, 12:40 PM
ABC News had a little video clip on the TV that showed the Palestinians near Jerusalem cheering at the news of the Attacks. This should not really surprise any American. We are hated and considered the big Satan to alot of palestinians because we have not turned our backs on Israel.

We do tend to have a false sense of security in this Country. We should be aware that we are a country that is only 225 years old. Many other Countries that thought they were invincable are no longer around.

carrie
09-11-2001, 12:40 PM
This is horrific!
We can't believe this is happening and our thoughts and love are with you all.

4 feline house
09-11-2001, 12:46 PM
MSNBC does have video, but so far I haven't had much luck connecting to the server:
http://www.msnbc.com/m/lv/default.asp?0cb=-61722998

Karen
09-11-2001, 01:57 PM
Please see my post from 2:55 here: http://PetoftheDay.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=000246

AmberLee
09-11-2001, 04:56 PM
ThelmaLu -- So glad to hear that you are okay.

Joining in the prayers from the group. I like the idea of the prayer circle suggested earlier.

Paul
09-11-2001, 05:03 PM
   CNN has live video of an attack on (or near) Kabul, Afghanistan.

wolflady
09-11-2001, 05:54 PM
I'll be present at 5:30 California time for the prayer circle. Let's offer up all our prayers for everyone touched by this disaster...

Cougie Wechsler
09-11-2001, 05:57 PM
They are saying the blasts in Afganistan are from internal forces opposed to the Taiban regime. THey are taking advantage of this situation to try to gain power.

aly
09-11-2001, 06:15 PM
I will join in the prayers (7:30 my time).

RachelJ
09-11-2001, 06:35 PM
I will be down on my knees for this one. 7:30 here as well.

Corinna
09-11-2001, 07:04 PM
count me in at 6:30 Mountain time

Corinna
09-11-2001, 07:13 PM
NBC just announced that possible 200 fire fighters died as they were helping out the first batches and the 2nd plane crashed

zippy-kat
09-11-2001, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by 4 feline house:
<STRONG>A recurrent theme in my Sunday School class has been how much America has been turning away from God over the last decades.</STRONG>

The great falling away? This certainly does fall into Biblical prophecy.

THANK GOD YOU ARE OK THELMA!

Daisy's Mom
09-11-2001, 08:33 PM
This is incredibly devastating and I am sad I am too late for the prayer circle. We watched this all day in school and had a moment of silence before the final bell rang. People were scared, people were crying... it's horrible. I am still in shock. The planes were from Logan airport... I've been there so many times, taken so many planes from there... I just can't beleive it. My heart goes out to everyone's families who have lost or possibly lost a loved one. I can only imagine the horror of what they are going through right now.

I seriously hope this is not the start of a war. All the guys in school who are 18 or older are so afraid they would be drafted. I am also afraid... I don't want a war now. They are too dangerous in these times.

Again, my heart goes out to the grieving... even though we are all in our own states of grieving at this time. People are calling this the second Pearl Harbor, and saying that there may be 20,000 dead. The numbers are sickening. God help us all.

jackiesdaisy1935
09-11-2001, 09:01 PM
There is not much left for one to say that has not already been said. Those poor people.
Souraya I know how much you must be worried about your family, please know that we will be praying for their safety and also for your husband should he have to go.
Our Country is strong, we will help and care for our injured, mourn and pray for our dead
and we will go on giving rise to hope from the ashes of despair.

KayAnn
09-11-2001, 09:19 PM
I am scared, confused and angry at the same time. My uncle lives only a few blocks form were the NY tradegy happened. It makes me disguisted in being a human that people of my kind ( i think all humans are the same no matter what race, color, or ethnic orgin) could commit such a horrible crime to take thousands or inoccent, hard working peoples lives, and then just parade around on the streets.
Watching the news, trying to figure this out from what im watching, the guy that is behind all of this is in Afganistan, and the surrouding coutries arent at greatest friends with the U.S. and we need their permission to fly over, and get rid of this brainless FOOL. Like i have said about many of people in this world, there is no place on this earth for people like him. How could he call himself a man, takeing children, and mothers, and fathers, sons, and daughters away from their loved ones?
If you ask me he is assinine.
One thing that just came across my mind... were their any pets on thoose planes?? I just had a very bad feeling in my stomache not only thinking about the thousands of people that have lost their lives, and their families, but the animals. But its a good thing that they were doing construction on the side of the pentagon that the plane went into because their werent as many people in that area, they said only 35 people died that were in the Pentagon.... one thing that really pissed me off today beside all of this what happened, is the kids in school were joking around like it isn't a big deal, but really it is. Some kid today was saying "Oh KayAnn, I guess you didn't hear, Nelly died in NY." I told that kid to Shut up So fast. If Nelly had died, I swim across that damn water and kill that man that did this myself with my own bare hands! :mad:

aly
09-11-2001, 09:27 PM
Sweet KayAnn, I'm sorry you had to go through that at school. How awful. Try to keep yourself calm and don't listen to the people who joke about such a tragedy. I can't even imagine how anyone could make light of something like this. This is so devastating, I just can't believe it still.

Karen
09-11-2001, 09:41 PM
Anger is an understandable reaction. Let us all, however, hug our animals and keep our loved ones close as we can, and concentrate on the good people who are working so hard to save as many as they can, to find as many as they can, and to find those responsible at this time so that justice may be done. Do donate blood if and when you can, and try to keep the world in your prayers.

4 feline house
09-11-2001, 09:42 PM
I'm sure that President Bush, in his worst nightmare, never imagined leading our country through something like this when he was campaigning.

I saw an interview earlier today of Mayor Guiliani, who has been instrumental in devising New York's current disaster plans. He said they planned for something like this, but never in their wildest imaginations thought it would happen.

The thing (doesn't deserve to be called human) that is responsible for this kind of puts Tim McVeigh to shame.

zippy-kat
09-11-2001, 11:55 PM
I have nothing to say. Just feel the need to be close to ppl I "know" right now.

I can't get through to my parents. They aren't anywhere near the tragedy but it's all still a bit scary.

Found out that my aunt lives 15 minutes away from Camp David. I knew she lived close but not that close! They are ok though.

Fort Bliss (El Paso, TX) is shut down. If "something" were to go on there, I'd only be 30-45 minutes away from it.

I've heard rumors that there was a bomb threat on campus today. Dunno if it's true or not... As far as I know, classes are still being conducted tomorrow.

My prayers to everyone.

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-12-2001, 07:23 AM
I have spoken with my family and my mom said that the embassy in Lebanon had contacted them and told them that if anything were to happen in Lebanon, Syria, or Palestine, the embassy has helicopters ready to evacuate American Citizens out of the Middle East. It makes me feel a bit safer. And we still haven't received the call for Andrew to pack up and head out. Many of our friends have already been deployed. Keep them in your thoughts.

Helen
09-12-2001, 08:07 AM
I couldn't get on here yesterday, our system here couldn't cope with the massive usage. There are no adequate words to express our horror at this outrage, we can only pray and try and send our love and support to you telepathically. However useful that would be, but we feel so helpless. The reports about people celebrating in the streets in Iraq are just obscene, and make me despair of the evil in the world.

Dixieland Dancer
09-12-2001, 08:34 AM
Our oldest son is a Marine and has been deployed but we do not know where (I am not even sure the military knows where they are going yet). He was able to call and let us know that he is going but said he was told there would be no more phone calls for some time.

My husband works at the Pittsburgh Airport and will be traveling to the crash site in Pennsylvania (about 1 hour away) today to help in cleanup efforts and to try to help in finding body parts for victim identification. Please pray for him. This is a most disgusting task. Since he works for the Airport and is in supervisory capacity it is required for him to go. He helped in a similar task several years ago when a US Airways Jet crashed only miles from the airport. There were no bodies, only parts. He had nightmares for months afterward.

I am sorry to be so graphic but the magnitude of this is just to much to comprehend and I don't know how to explain the circumstances without this information.

Dixie has a brother and an Aunt that are both Search and Rescue dogs. They were called out yesterday to the PA crash site. They were looking around the perimiter of the crash to see if anyone was around the area on the ground when the plane went down. They are back home today and were put on alert that they may be called to New York to help in that Search effort once things get more stable. Here is a picture of the family: Dixie is on the left, Jazzmine her Aunt in the middle and Blaze her brother on the right.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/036/z1/hd/RS/9293490.jpg

Continue to pray! Our nation needs to unite in prayer. I gave my FurBabies extra hugs yesterday. It makes me feel better when I am down to have furry little critters to hug and kiss!

aly
09-12-2001, 08:43 AM
I will be praying for your husband and son. And for all the dogs involved in the rescue effort. I am so sorry your husband has to go through that.

My ex-boyfriend, a US Marine who I was going to marry at one point, until we decided to hold off our relationship until I got out of college, called me and said he couldn't give me any information really. He is still my best friend and the way he said goodbye had me screaming and crying. I am just going to pray and pray and pray and pray and pray...

Dixieland Dancer
09-12-2001, 08:46 AM
Aly,
You will be in our prayers also. It is just so frustrating not knowing what is going on and being able to do anything about it.

AdoreMyDogs
09-12-2001, 09:08 AM
To all of you who have to be a part of the "clean up" crew, or to deal with this maddness in any way...I am so sorry, and please know that prayers will be said for you too.

I don't even know what to say. I am so sickened by this whole thing. I am in disbelief at how evil some people can be. Please, may there be miracles that come of this.

Former User
09-12-2001, 09:09 AM
Our deepest symphaties from Belgium. We just can't believe this is true, it's seems so unreal. We wish lots and lots of strenght to all the rescue workers, who are doing a great job! Our symphaties are with those who have lost their loved ones.

jackiesdaisy1935
09-12-2001, 09:26 AM
Thank you to all our friends, Carrie from England, Angels 3 from Australia, also our friends from Canada and Italy and other parts of the world for the compassion and love they have sent to us. We thought this would never happen to us but it did. The cradle of democracy was rocked on Sept 11, 2001 and we cannot turn back. We have lost our innocence to terroriests who have no concience.
Our son-in-law is a policeman and also in the Marine reserve, we don't know what will happen.
We hope and pray for Peace.

Stenograsaurus
09-12-2001, 12:41 PM
I have not responded on these topics because I just do not know what to say. I still don't. I can't think straight, talk straight, type straight, et cetera. My brother-in-law had fought in the Gulf War and I know he will fight in this one (if it comes to that). He had numerous flashbacks over that one, watching half of his patoon die. My nephew is in the Navy. My other nephew just joined the Army and is still in boot camp. He should be okay.
I just want to let everyone know that I am thinking of and praying for everyone effected by such a tragedy (who isn't effected?).

Dixieland Dancer
09-12-2001, 01:20 PM
Just got a call from my husband. He said they were at the Pennsylvania crash site but the Hazardous Materials Team were still the only ones allowed directly at the site. They have been recovering what they can but the area is highly contaminated and they have to wear the HAZMAT gear to go near the site. More gear is being brought in but he will not have to go back to the site again.

My heart aches for the victims families. None of this makes sense to normal human beings. Life is just so short and uncertain. :(

Americans - I ask you to show your support however you can. Fly your flags. If you don't have one go out and buy one. Donate Blood if you can. Light a candle in your window to show the light of America still shines even in it's darkest hour. And most importantly - PRAY. Pray for the leaders of our nation to have wisdom to do what is right in figuring out how to retaliate for such a senseless crime. Pray they will know for sure who was responsible before any retaliation is done. Pray for the volunteers still trying to find people alive. Pray for the children of this nation who have witnessed something so horrible it could of come out of a fiction book.

ramanth
09-12-2001, 01:27 PM
Along with your prays and support for your fellow Americans, rememeber to take a moment to pray for those animals who will never again see their owners. Hopefully they will not be alone for long.

And hug your pet. My dog Kia is so upset and confused about my emotions that I have to work extra hard to please her and reassure her that it is not she I am angry at.

God bless

~Kimmy

Superfish
09-12-2001, 02:40 PM
It has been especially hard for those of us who are so close to the tragedies. I am only an hour from the city and many people commute there, so it will take a while for things to get back to normal. I must say that all my pets, my rats in particular, have been trying extra-heard these past 2 days to make things feel better around the hoouse. I hope all other New Yorkers, Bostonians, and DCers are as lucky as me right now.

aly
09-12-2001, 03:20 PM
I heard inspiring words on the radio this morning that eased a small bit of the pain I am feeling. The DJ said that we aren't seeing in colors anymore. People aren't black, white, hispanic, etc. People are people. And we are standing and uniting to conquer the evil. What was important 36 hours ago is so unimportant and minuscule today. Stay strong, America, it is our best defense against further attacks.

4 feline house
09-12-2001, 09:48 PM
Dixie - I know what you meant, so please don't think I'm picking on you, because I'm not, but I think justice would be a better way to express what we seek than retaliation.

Daisy's Mom
09-12-2001, 09:56 PM
Dixie your husband is an angel. I am so sorry he has to go through this, but he is so heroic to do it. Souraya, I am glad your family will be safe. My heart goes out to you; you must be so worried.

Many people from MA were killed. One from my town, actually. My aunt knew and went to school with her mother, who lives right up the street. It just makes it hit closer to home. One of my teachers says that she wouldn't be surprised if we see some of the smoke and ash from NY wind up here because of wind patterns. I can only hope to stay as far away from this nightmare as I can.

Dixieland Dancer
09-13-2001, 09:06 AM
I agree that the correct word is Justice and not Retaliation. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. May God be with our leaders as decisions are made.

Gio
09-13-2001, 09:43 AM
What happened has affected everyone so badly over here as well. I don't know how much has been on your news I just wanted to let you all know that you're not alone in your grief. I have enver seen people from opposite parties so united in condemning what happened. There has been a number of marches all over Italy and flags on official buildings are all flying at half mast. In most churches there have been special services and the response has been overwhelming. In Milan, this morning public transport has stopped for 5 minutes in rememberance of the victims.
People have been donating blood and there naer rescue teams specialised in dealing with earthquakes (of which we have had quite a few) are willing to travel anytime to help out.
In Europe all cup matches have been postponed. Also some fashion and cultural events and even some television shows have been suspended for a couple of days.

I know it's not much but we all hope that this can give you at least a little bit of comfort.

Snowy's Mommy
09-13-2001, 10:52 AM
Hi All,

I work in mid-town Manhattan and as I was coming into the city I saw the towers on fire...then I was stopped by the police in traffic and told I couldn't go any further....then everyone started backing up on the highway and drove backwards to the nearest exit.....I sped over the bridge as the first tower fell..I never have had such a sense of panic......to all fellow Pettalkers who are in the affected areas....I hope you are okay..

Jordan

cr7clark
09-13-2001, 11:42 AM
Gio, thanks a million for your post...it's truly heartening to know that folks in Europe are showing such sympathy and unity with the US in this time of crisis.
Most of the news here is local and centered on the terrorist attacks and their aftermath, so we get very little input on how the rest of the world is reacting. Please keep us posted, your insights and observations are valuable and much appreciated.
We here in the US need to realize that Gio and others in Europe have been dealing with terrorist acts of violence on their soil for some time. They may well understand what we are going through far more than we realize.
Again, thanks Gio, and thank your countrymen for us. This means a lot!

aly
09-13-2001, 01:05 PM
Snowy's Mommy - I am SO glad you are okay. Please stay safe. I didn't know you worked there, thank God you weren't at work any earlier.

thelmalu99
09-13-2001, 01:24 PM
Hi Jordan,
I work at 18th Street in Manhattan. I was still on the train above ground in Queens when the second plane hit. I didn't actually see the crash; I was reading my magazine when I heard everyone on the train yell and scream. When I looked up, all I saw was smoke churning out of the towers. They said that there was an explosion. A lady called her son on her cell phone and told us that he was watching TV and a plane had crashed into the towers. At that point, I thought that it had been a terribly unfortunate accident. I only found out what had really happened when I arrived at work and everyone was glued to the TV.
What a horrible, horrible day.
I'm glad to hear that you're ok.

Logan
09-13-2001, 02:30 PM
Jordan, Thelma and anyone else who we love and care for, I am so glad you are ok! And that you were not involved in the mayhem that erupted after the airplanes crashed into those buildings.
Please know that the hearts of every American are with you and your fellow New Yorkers.

Logan

Cougie Wechsler
09-13-2001, 02:35 PM
Gio, thank you for your wonderful message of support from Europe. God Bless all of our Allies during this time.

Daisy's Mom
09-13-2001, 10:42 PM
Gio, thank you. The support pouring in from all over the world really does help. You are all wonderful, and I am glad that the world is pulling together to put an end to this nightmare and others to come. Jordan and Thelma, thank God you are okay. We can get through this everyone. Chin up.

4 feline house
09-13-2001, 11:28 PM
I go this email earlier from the SPCA (nothing to do with pets, just a coincidence - I'm on the list because I'm a donor):

SPCA of Texas
362 S. Industrial Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75207
214-651-9611 ext. 128
214-651-9244 fax

----- Original Message -----
Subject: FW: article from Canada
Subject: FW: worth the read

TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES

This, from a Canadian newspaper, no less, is worth sharing.

America: The Good Neighbor.
Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator. What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional
Record:

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its
remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the
Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German
technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an
old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."

Stand proud, America!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is one of the best editorials that I have ever read regarding the United States. It is nice that one man realizes it. I only wish that the rest of the world would realize it. We are always blamed for everything, and never even get a thank you for the things we do.

Maybe each of you can send this to at least one person and they might send it to one of their friends until this letter is sent to every person on the web. I am just a single
American that has read this, I SURE HOPE THAT A LOT MORE READ IT SOON.

Our posts from our international friends to a great extent belies this essay, but in essence it is true.

Of course, right now any assistance other countries may want to give is hindered by the flight prohibition.

But the point I want to make is this: one of the reasons this is true is simply because American is the richest and most powerful nation on earth, and many would argue that obliges us to take care of the rest of the world.

We are blessed.

KayAnn
09-14-2001, 01:36 AM
I wonder if the people who dont care for dogs, are takeing a different look at them now that they are on the news 24\7 helping the firfighters search for epople.. i wonder what they think...

BandiTank
09-14-2001, 04:40 PM
"We have not lost 50,000 people, we have gained 50,000 Angels."

I feel so terribly bad for the victims of this great tragedy (people and animals). At first I was very worried because I live right next to Oak Ridge, TN, which has Y-12 which is a nuclear plant. Oak Ridge is also responsible for providing a lot of the weaponry for wars, military, etc. I was worrie that those damn terrorists would do somethin that would blow out Oak Ridge and everything within a 100 mile radius. But from the looks of it no one os getting into this country! I was watching T.V. today and Tom Brokaw was talking to Pres. Bush and said that he couldn't hear him and Bush said, "Well, I can hear you, the people can hear you, and whoever did this to this city will be sure to hear all of us!" Go Mr. President!

Stenograsaurus
09-14-2001, 09:50 PM
I don't know if anybody has received this in an e-mail yet but I have to say it really touched me and I had to share it. It's a poem for the New York City Firefighters. Here's the link.
http://www.funpages.com/firefighters.htm

Daisy's Mom
09-16-2001, 01:39 AM
Thank you, Gio. Your words of support really do help. I just found out that there is a little girl from my town who was visiting her uncle in one of the towers. She was last seen in the lobby, and then the building fell down. Please keep this 12 year old in your prayers.

Cougie Wechsler
09-19-2001, 06:49 AM
Yesterday as I was reaching for something in the closet, I knocked over an "odds and ends" box and out came a New York souvenir snow dome which had the WTC in it. We got this years ago and I forgot I had it. When I picked it up, the tears just flowed as I was reminded of the innocent people who lost their lives.

Pam
09-21-2001, 07:51 PM
Horrible! This is just horrible! I certainly hope they remain safe and are ultimately released! :(