PDA

View Full Version : A Pet Peeve - about humans!

TheAntiPam
03-27-2001, 04:19 AM
Today I had a conversation with someone that just makes me fume. This person voiced the opinion that my giving to animals of time or money is a shame and a waste, because so many humans need the time and money. I was stunned. This person didn't bother to find out if I also give to human causes. And this person didn't believe that my personal preference to assist animals was valid. To top it off, this person thought that animals should be helped only once all humans lives are fixed up and wonderful. Sheeeeesh. My only consolation in this whole conversation was to ask how much money this person gave last year to human charities. The answer, of course, was NONE.

Gio
03-27-2001, 05:50 AM
I lost count of how many times I've been told that. I usually answer that what I do with my money is entirely up to me, if I want to throw it off a bridge, burn it or give it to semeone I am free to do it. I admit I choose to give mostly to animal causes, but that's my choice. These people are usually ignorant, and as you pointed out, they often criticise but keep their money tightly in their pocket and would not lift a finger if their neighbour dropped dead on their doorstep.

People like this also seem to forget what a wonderful enrichment animals can be for human beings. And yes, I often received more help from my pet than from fellow human beings.

And I could go on and on...

[This message has been edited by Gio (edited March 27, 2001).]

Sudilar
03-27-2001, 10:15 AM
I believe that many people can help themselves, animals cannot.

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

Ben E Gas
03-27-2001, 11:05 AM
i've heard that many a time too. by my own mother too who hates animals. well, hate is so harsh, she doesn't like em in her home and doesn't see how people can spend money on them. she just doesn't understand the common pet freak that i am.

wolflady
03-27-2001, 11:44 AM
I totally agree with you all. People like that are so ignorant. It's none of their business, and even so, they should practice what they preach and give to human causes then, ya know?? Why do people gamble? That's basically throwing money away. Instead of gambling, I give to animal organizations...at least it's a worthy cause. The only reason that animals need help is because of ingnorant and cruel humans!!! Why do I need to donate to the wolf preservation organizations?? Because humans have basically wiped them out because of fear and ignorance. It's basically the same thing with any other animal charity. The reason any condition exists, is because of humans. Why are there feral cats and dogs? Because people are not responsible and they don't spay and neuter their pets, and then they dump them...making the situation worse. Su's right, animals cannot help themselves or the situation they are in. TheAntiPam, what an annoying person that you had conversation with! Yikes!! That definitely would have struck MY nerve!!!

Genia
03-27-2001, 07:21 PM
There are human as well as animal causes that I donate too. Cancer research, AIDS research; I have had family memebers touched by these horrible diseases. But to quote Su, "many people can help themselves, animals cannot." Remember the scene from the movie "The Matrix"? The computer agent said something to the effect of "humans are like a plague. The breed and multiple. When they have used up the resources of one area, they move on to the next." While that is harsh, I do believe some of this is true. We are so busy expanding, we are not taking in consideration the harm we are doing to the environment and to the natural creatures of the land. I see it everyday. My parents grew up as poor farmer's children. They both are in their late sixties and they tell wonderful stories about growing up. They taught us how to make dye from plants and we would make beautiful tye-dye t-shirts from these plants. Plants used for medicines. And they would talk about the animals in the forest. They would kill some of the animals for food, but the forests were so abundant that it was a part of nature. The killing of these animals for food helped prevent over-population which prevented starvation. I do beleive that is a part of the cycle of life. The sad ending to my tale is that many of the plants my parents talked about cannot be found. Many of the animals either cannot be found or their population has dwindled so that it is extremely rare to see one. A great pleasure of ours was to watch the Robins land on our yard after a rain, eager to pull the worms from the soften earth. We don't see that anymore. Those annoying rabbits and armadillos that would come into our garden and eat the vegatables are rarely seen although a garden is planted almost year round. I probably not as active in animal rights as most of you but I do care. If you choose to donate your money to animal causes rather that human causes, good for you because I know enough people are not donating.