PDA

View Full Version : Longhaired rats! I am finally getting my baby!

luckies4me
02-20-2005, 06:09 PM
http://greatrats.com/id85.htm

Scroll down to Cheddar! :D This will be my first Harley coated (long haired like a teddy bear hamster) baby rat, and dumbo to boot! :D :D :D

And to see my other soon to be addition, a black dumbo hairless girl, scroll down on this page, til where it says Reserved for Cassandra.

http://thebreakfastbunch.tripod.com/id22.html

I'll be picking up these cuties at the show next month. :D

Uabassoon
02-20-2005, 06:13 PM
How cute!

wolfie
02-20-2005, 06:15 PM
So cute!

Congrats on your new babies

LabradorLover
02-20-2005, 06:47 PM
OMG They're adorable!! Chedder is just precious- I like the cheese theme the breeder has going as well ;). How old is he?

What are you going to name the other girl?

I'm so jealous, I love them both!!

Karen
02-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Cute as can be! Congratulations, are you going to keep the Cheese-theme names?

luckies4me
02-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Cute as can be! Congratulations, are you going to keep the Cheese-theme names?

LOL, I've been thinking about it. It kind of goes with my pet names here already, since I have a boy tortoise named Lucy, and Freckles has a boy name, and Cheddar is kind of off too, so it kind of fits. :p We're debating on whether we'll keep it though.

luckies4me
02-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by LabradorLover
OMG They're adorable!! Chedder is just precious- I like the cheese theme the breeder has going as well ;). How old is he?

What are you going to name the other girl?

I'm so jealous, I love them both!!

I'll probably name her Wrinkles, after my old hairless doe. :) He's about 3 weeks old in those photos.

Desert Arabian
02-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Cuuuuuuuuuute! I love how they all have cheese names! That is so adorable, they'd fit in well here in Wisconsin with all the cheeseheads- lol.

Can't wait til you post more pictures when Cheddar comes home! :D

carole
02-20-2005, 09:11 PM
All together please AWWW SO CUTE!!! if you have boy you could call it Colby, after Colby Cheese, hmm my favourite, lol.:D

manda_moo87
02-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Aw, adorable! :D

lute
02-20-2005, 09:51 PM
awwwww! CONGRATS on the cuties!!!:D

BitsyNaceyDog
02-21-2005, 07:07 AM
She's so cute!! I love the name Cheddar, by the way- you should keep it.

ramanth
02-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Congrats! They are cute! :)

Orca
02-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Very cute! I'm jealous! :) My mom can't stand rats so I can't have one, but I'm waiting. I've never seen a long-hair rat? Are they more expensive? I've seen dumbo, blue, hairless (even a blue dumbo hairless!) but never ones like those, they are adorable!

lv4dogs
02-21-2005, 10:12 AM
I am jealous. I've been wanting a long hair for a long time now & I can't find any breeders in my area. After seeing your post the other day I attempted to again try to find a breeder even remotely near me (NY & all surrounding states), still nothing.

Worse comes to worse I'll have to wait until I get back out to Oregon. LOL

Suki Wingy
02-21-2005, 04:17 PM
you are so lucky!!! I've ALWAYS wanted a rattie!:eek:

luckies4me
02-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
I am jealous. I've been wanting a long hair for a long time now & I can't find any breeders in my area. After seeing your post the other day I attempted to again try to find a breeder even remotely near me (NY & all surrounding states), still nothing.

Worse comes to worse I'll have to wait until I get back out to Oregon. LOL

The Harley gene has not been around for a long time. Just a couple of years, and it based out of WA from my friend Debbies Rattery, Odd Fellows Rattery. It's a gene related to Velveteen, so most of the time the longhaired rats are also curly. Debbie however, has had some straight haired long rats. So there really isn't any other long haired rats available except rats directly related to this line.

You can read more about these rats here:

http://www.skyclyde.com/HarleyII.html

lv4dogs
02-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
The Harley gene has not been around for a long time. Just a couple of years, and it based out of WA from my friend Debbies Rattery, Odd Fellows Rattery. It's a gene related to Velveteen, so most of the time the longhaired rats are also curly. Debbie however, has had some straight haired long rats. So there really isn't any other long haired rats available except rats directly related to this line.

You can read more about these rats here:

http://www.skyclyde.com/HarleyII.html

Thats odd, I thought longhaired rats have been around for quite a while (maybe about 5-7ish years), not popular by any means though. But there were a few rats floating around the northeast that had longer curly hair. I was told that they were related to the rex & the velveteen. There was a breeder located in Ohio or Maryland, who had a few that had longer hair & she was going to start to breed for that trait. I lost her contact info & have not been able to find any info since. I kind of gave up a couple years ago & started to look again for the past year or so to no avail.

Did you get my PM?

luckies4me
02-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
Thats odd, I thought longhaired rats have been around for quite a while (maybe about 5-7ish years), not popular by any means though. But there were a few rats floating around the northeast that had longer curly hair. I was told that they were related to the rex & the velveteen. There was a breeder located in Ohio or Maryland, who had a few that had longer hair & she was going to start to breed for that trait. I lost her contact info & have not been able to find any info since. I kind of gave up a couple years ago & started to look again for the past year or so to no avail.

Did you get my PM?

As far as our club knows and other clubs in the US, no one has heard of any other longhaired genes. There are satins, which have longer hair, but no other longer haired rats. Of course there has always been rex and velveteens. There are many different types of curly coats besides rex and velveteen too. I can ask my local rat group though and see what they say.

I did get your pm. I don't know of any other breeders at all, besides Debbie, and she does ship. =)

EssTer
02-27-2005, 05:07 AM
Aww, they are sooo cuute omg! :D I didnt even know there were longaired rats!!!I thought there were only ´normal´(LOL) rats and hairless!! hehe

Jods
02-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Very cute Cass!! Are you going to be breeding these beauties??

luckies4me
02-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Jods
Very cute Cass!! Are you going to be breeding these beauties??

Yep. :)

DejaVu
02-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
http://greatrats.com/id85.htm

Scroll down to Cheddar! :D This will be my first Harley coated (long haired like a teddy bear hamster) baby rat, and dumbo to boot! :D :D :D

I'll be picking up these cuties at the show next month. :D

Very cute babies! Congrats. I can't wait to get ratties when I finally move out. Though I must say that teddy bear is an improper pet shop name for long haired syrian hamsters.
:)

luckies4me
02-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by DejaVu
Very cute babies! Congrats. I can't wait to get ratties when I finally move out. Though I must say that teddy bear is an improper pet shop name for long haired syrian hamsters.
:)

It's what I've always known them by, and it's what I will always call them. :p I know their long haired Syrian hamsters, but it sounds cuter. :D