PDA

View Full Version : Someone interested in the calico baby ... BUT ....

kimlovescats
02-20-2005, 03:39 PM
I am concerned, as she is being so particular about her coat pattern. :rolleyes: She has asked me time and againt to describe her and Freida. She keeps saying she doesn't like the "blotched" look ... like the tortie cats ... well, that is what I would say Freida is! I did some research myself on the calico patterns. Based on this, I would call Freida a "tortie with white" and therefore, baby girl kitten will probably be as well. I am feeling a strong inclination to not let this lady have my baby ... am I over-reacting here? *sigh*:(

Here is the calico pattern info:

Basically, a calico cat is a tri-colored cat of black, red(orange), and white. It can also be of a diluted version in blue (gray), cream, and white. Cats with these same colors, but without the white spotting gene, are called tortoiseshells, or torties, and blue-creams, respectively. The white can be in varying degrees. Cats with mostly color, and low amounts of white are sometimes referred to as "tortie and white" instead of calico. Calico cats with mostly a white background and patches of red and black are called "high white" calico cats. If the cat is all white, with only color patches on the head and tail, and no more than one patch on the body, it is a "van" calico cat.

Why do I feel like this lady is a woman who thinks she can get everything just like she wants it, and I don't want her to have my baby!!!? She also mentioned maybe adopting two, but I feel like running the other way from her!:confused:

Here is a close up of Freida, taken this morning.... she is definitely a tortie pattern with white! Agree?

jazzcat
02-20-2005, 03:49 PM
I don't know about the coloring but maybe once the lady has seen them she might know if that is what she is looking for.

My roommate in college had a calico that died and she wanted to get another calico. I helped her look for months until she found a true calico that fit the bill. For her, the look was that important and nothing else mattered. My roommate was a great cat owner and I would have no qualms about her adopting another. Maybe this lady is like her, just looking for a certain look but no less a good pet owner.

It's also good to go with gut feeling sometimes.

AlleyCat
02-20-2005, 03:52 PM
My thought was that Freida is a calico. My calico looks almost exactly like Freida, so if that is considered a tortie then maybe I have a tortie.

But, that's not the point - if this lady is being that picky about this color or pattern, that sounds off an alarm in my head. Listen to your gut feeling and if it's already telling you to run away from her, then you probably should.... I know you'll make the right decision!

christa
02-20-2005, 03:57 PM
My question is . . . WHY is she soooooo determined to get a true calico? That's wierd to me . . . it's not like calicos are rare or anything! :rolleyes:

And Freida looks like a calico to me!

I guess I just don't understand what she wants . . . sounds strange Kim . . . I don't know what I'd do in your situation.

Just go with your gut.

rkidsrcats
02-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Follow your instincts - as a rescue person, you've got the sensitivity to know when a home is right or not.
While jazzcat has a good point about her roommate, she also knew that person really well.
You have to make a decision on someone you don't know well and is giving off mixed signals.
Whenever people sound like they are "shopping" for a cat, it makes me uncomfortable. Rescuing an animal isn't about finding perfection in the "bargain bin". Its about saving the life of an animal in need, no matter what it looks like.
There's the Tribe's two cents worth.

PayItForward
02-20-2005, 04:14 PM
This rings warning bells for me too, I would need convincing that she was interested in the cat not just the looks. Does the lady realise that calicos are just a colour set like a tuxedo, not a breed ?

Good luck in dealing with this lady.

kuhio98
02-20-2005, 04:26 PM
I think Frieda is a tortie with white also. Our Cammie is definitely a tortie. Calico, it was explained to me, is tortie colorings separated by white patches. Frieda's "blotches" aren't separated like that, so I'd call her a tortie. That being said, I think this person is overly concerned with such things. So, I'd listen to your gut. If she has some idealized version of what "perfect" is, she's bound to be disappointed.

WE all know that ALL cats are perfect just the way they are. I'd hate for you to hear later that this little one, was sent to the pound because she didn't match the carpet or drapes or couch or something equally ridiculous. :rolleyes:

kt_luvs_kitties
02-20-2005, 05:00 PM
I do not have much time to post, but I will say that it would make me really stop and think about her true "interest" in this cat. I would ask her why she is SO insistant on a Calico and not a Tortie. I just dont know what to say, because I love all kitties, and color doesnt matter whatsoever to me, the kitten is all that matters;)
I would say Freida is a Calico:D She does not have blotched fur, but I would describe Calico as blotchy moreso than a tortie. A tortie (any tortie) reminds me of the ocean with different colors flowing into each other. Calico looks like a cow with 3 colors. My vet described my moms kitty a calico, and she looks EXACTLY like Frieda. Let us know what you decide:D

Here is her picture;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/pfe7c951a87335e4a4440bf89ee22b435/f5393f8c.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/pb11f147a0067c96d5d4bba93edf8b518/f5393f9f.jpg

QueenScoopalot
02-20-2005, 05:11 PM
Frieda is tortie w/white according to how I'd describe her. And I think I'd think twice (is that redundant sounding :confused: ) about letting this woman take her, unless you hear something positive about her being a cat owner. It really sounds to me as though she's trying to replace a deceased cat of hers. Hope she doesn't expect the same personality as well! :rolleyes: But go with your gut instinct, and run the other way!;)

Grace
02-20-2005, 05:36 PM
I don't know if Frieda is tortie or calico - I do know she is beautiful. And like the others, I'm getting bad vibes about this woman.

carole
02-20-2005, 05:39 PM
As the other's have said go with your instincts on this one, if you don't feel right about adopting your baby to her, then Don't Do it.:)

Laura's Babies
02-20-2005, 06:02 PM
My first thought of what I would call her is BEAUTIFUL!!

All my babies have been given to me BY GOD himself, sent to me in various ways of arrival. I was the "Chosen One", I did not say "Oh! What a pretty cat, may I have it?". I feel I was sent these babies and the color, patterns OR personality had nothing to do with the ones I have!

I would tell that person that she must reset her sights on a cat that WANTS her.... It has nothing to do with what SHE wants!

Shady
02-20-2005, 06:07 PM
It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Trust your instincts, there's a much better home out there for that baby, you will find it.

K & L
02-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Here's a good link with descriptions and pictures. http://www.messybeast.com/tricolours.htm

Go with your instincts Kim, seems those are always the best!

catmandu
02-20-2005, 06:25 PM
The Animal Welfare Lady,Helen,told me,the stry,of a Lady,who came,all the way,up from Cleveland,to adopt a Cat,that would match,the Dog,and the furniture!And the Cat,was a gold color,and she wanted nothing else! i would say,that Freida,ia a Gorgeous Cat,with Tortie,and White Front,and Cats,are Cats,and the coloring,is by Our Lord.

moosmom
02-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Kim,

You always told me to go by my gut instincts. Well, back at ya babe!!! If you have ANY doubt about this lady, don't adopt out to her. ;)

Cookiebaker
02-20-2005, 07:46 PM
First, I think Frieda is BEAUTIFUL!!!

But here's the thing: Purrrsonality is *so* much more important than looks.

And I would take Calico Baby in a HEART BEAT -- not just because of her pattern either! ;)

rosethecopycat
02-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Here's my MIL's true calico, Violet. Very blotchy, and her colors don't mingle.
(Violet had her tail docked last week, similar to what's happening to Chris H's Ebby)

I think Freida is a Tortie & white. (just as gorgeous)

My take on the calico kitten's inquiry is that adopter is 'matching'.
Dig deep enough and you'll probably find out that this person had a cat once, that looked that specific way.

I don't understand why people want replicas of former cats, but I remember going through that very stage myself, once.

Just like cloning a cat, matching won't make a cat act the same way as your beloved pet.

We get a lot of people matching at Siamese Rescue.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/rosethecopycat/Violet2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/rosethecopycat/Violetwave.jpg

Uabassoon
02-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Personally I think nothing wrong with wanting a specific marking or coloring on a kitty. When I was looking for a cat I specifically wanted a colorpoint, I think they are beautiful cats. I posted a message on Petfinder saying that I was looking to adopt a siamese or a siamese mix kitten, thankfully Margo at the shelter sent me an email and I found Tibby. It doesn't mean that while I was searching if I had found another cat that really tugged at my heart I wouldn't have adopted it because it wasn't a colorpoint, it just means that it was my preferance. I don't think it's bad that I knew what I was looking for, it just helped me to narrow down the search.

I know lots of people that have a certain color in mind when looking for a cat, they don't always end up getting what they were originally looking for but sometimes you do have something in mind. I have a friend who really wants an orange kitten, she's wanted one for a long time and I don't see what is wrong with that.

However, if the lady is strange and you feel uncomfortable around her then go with your gut instinct.

kimlovescats
02-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Thank you all so much for your input, all very good and full of insight! This woman has already told me that she has "learned alot about calicos over the years". She has only had 2 cats, both were calicos. I don't mind that at all, she loved them, their personalities, etc.... I have nothing against wanting a particular breed, color, hair length, etc. After I lost my Tucker Man, I did go searching for another Tucker, and after quite some looking, I found my Ditto. NO, he is not and never will be Tucker ... but he is a constant reminder of him, and because of that, a small part of Tucker is still with me! :(

So, all that said, it's not that I condemn this woman for wanting a look-a-like of her former kitty ... it's just something about her attitude, voice, and questions. *sigh* I guess it is just like you all have said, a "gut feeling" something I can't really put my finger on. Well, I have sent her a few e-mails, trying to discourage her, if she is indeed going to be hard to please! *says with evil grin*:eek: ;) Maybe I'm just being over protective, but I will trust my instincts up to the end, and if it doesn't feel right, I won't do it!

ps.... it would really solve my problem if someone on PT would just go ahead and call dibs on the Cali baby!!!:eek: :D ;)

Uniqueviking
02-20-2005, 11:53 PM
I feel like running the other way from her!

Then I definitely would NOT let her adopt the baby/babies! Gut feelings are usually correct!

I'd seriously love to adopt the Calico baby, if only I wasn't so far away *sigh*

moosmom
02-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Kim,

You KNOW I'd take her in a nano-second. Unfortunately, because of my present situation, there ain't no room at the Inn.

I know you'll find her a great home. But if your instincts tell you something's not right, keep her till one DOES come along.

Hang in there, girlfriend. In the rescue biz, our work is NEVER done!! ;)

kimlovescats
02-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks, Donna!;)

NoahsMommy
02-21-2005, 11:53 AM
If you feel there's something not right with this lady, I wouldn't adopt to her either. Its one thing to have a preference on color/breed/sex, but to have to know the exact marking pattern is kind of wierd.

I wish I could have another...the calico is the one I'd pick if I could. ;)

Good luck with your decision, we all know you'll do the right thing. You always do. :)

((hugs))

rg_girlca
02-21-2005, 12:56 PM
As the others have said Kim, go with your gut feeling.
You say this woman, had 2 other calico's. Do you know what happened to them. How old were they when they passed on? Were they declawed? Inside or outside cats? These are questions I would like answers to.

You could also tell her that you have had other offers for the calico.:)

persianmom
02-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Kim go with your gut feeling if it doesnot feel right than it probly not. If you got bad vibe and want to run in the other direction run. Someone who wants the kitty for the right reason will come along.

catlady1945
02-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Anyone that fussy is a little weird. I wouldn't let her near the cats.

catnapper
02-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Oh Kim, you've been doing this such a long time now, and if you've got a bad feeling, follow that feeling!