PDA

View Full Version : Stressful Day at the Show...

LuvGold00
02-19-2005, 06:16 PM
We had another show today, and let me tell you, this judge was anything but friendly! AND he wouldn't let me give her treats, 6 month old puppy with no treats is no fun! ;) You'd think he would give a 6 month old puppy a break if they move a little! This man was just RUDE if she moved an inch. Very stressful day, I need to remember THIS IS FUN, not only for me, but for the girls!!!!

At least we didn't get dead last! 5th out of 7 dogs.... Better luck tomorrow...

Sorry for the vent. :)

lute
02-19-2005, 06:26 PM
sorry it was so stressful. 5th out of 7 isn't bad. you beat 2 dogs.:D

KYS
02-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Why do some judges have to be unfriendly?
It sort of takes the joy out of showing. :mad:
Hope you have a better day tomarrow and a different
judge.

Giselle
02-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Awwwww!!! Poor honey! Did he at least allow squeaky toys? Judges like those take the fun out of showing. The judge at the show today was soooo flexible. There was a young puppy and he re-fused to move. However, he had a very nice build and so she gave him first in class anyways. My breeder's poor dog got second in class to that immovable fluffball:mad: :o But her * got reserve winner's bitch, so whatever. (The other * had a nicer gait.)

Suki Wingy
02-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Hey, do either of you (or anyone for that matter) know anyone (like with a pet dog) looking for an inexperienced handler to show their dog for free in the Chicago area?

LuvGold00
02-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Yeah, different judge tomorrow! Crossing my fingers for a friendly one!

I don't know of anyone in the Chicago area, maybe you could go to some shows and ask around? Or maybe a local breeder would like to "mentor" you and allow you to show one of their dogs...

Suki Wingy
02-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the advice I am hoping to go to a big show next weekend.

Giselle
02-20-2005, 01:54 AM
Suki Wingy, no offense, but there's more to handling than walking a dog at the end of a lead. Eck, you probably already know that:p I've known people to get upset over the brand of the lead, much less the handler.

My advice is to do what I did. Go to your local show and try not to jump ahead of yourself. If I'm correct, you'll be going to a benched show (?). That's perfect! Choose a breed you REALLY like. Walk around and find a dog of that breed you REALLY like. Like the dog fits the standard superbly and you think it's a greyt example of the breed. Find out who bred him/her and strike up a conversation with the breeder. Do this an hour or so *after* the breed judging. It gives sufficient time for the breeder to cool off. During that convo, emphasize you're looking to start from scratch. Trust me, breeders appreciate new blood who are looking to start from scratch. With some old-timers, you have to earn your way up to showing a dog, and that's how they did it. They started by cleaning up poop, feeding, watering. Eventually, they moved into grooming and handling. It is/was a long process to fully get an idea of the breed and the "proper" way to handle. Those years of labor will pay off because by then, you KNOW the breed/standard and you know your fellow breeders/peers/students. You'll have an excellent intro to the show world, and the rewards will be tenfold.

Cookiebaker
02-20-2005, 07:21 AM
I hope you get a much better judge the next time around. How does he expect a 6 month old puppy to know everything by now??

XXXCrosses all fingers, toes & paws for you today!!XXX

EssTer
02-20-2005, 09:41 AM
I´m sorryto hear that, but I hope you will get MUCH better judge next time ;)

RobiLee
02-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Wondering how things are going. I hope you have a much better judge. I think this sounds so exciting.

Robin :)

LuvGold00
02-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Sunday's show went MUCH better! The judge had a real hard time choosing between Luna and another girl, after she looked them both over again.... she finally picked the other girl, but 2nd felt real good! We beat out 5 other beautiful goldens ranging up to 12 months old.... and Luna was the youngest there! :D

Giselle
02-21-2005, 06:37 PM
:D Aww Congrats!!! Only six months, huh? WOW! I can't imagine how she'll turn out as an "adult"! Congrats again!

lv4dogs
02-21-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm sorry you were stuck with a dud judge Sat but am oh so happy for your place on Sun. 2nd sure is super! Congrats!
What show did you show at?

LuvGold00
02-21-2005, 07:19 PM
We showed in Hartford, CT Saturday and Sunday...