PDA

View Full Version : God, please torture me more!

lute
02-19-2005, 03:47 PM
if for some odd reason i end up in hell, this will be my torture.

i got off work early today so my friend and i went to wal-mart to grab some stuff. as we were leaving this little girl shoves a puppy in my face and says "want her? she's FREE!" the moment i saw this puppy i knew what it was....A GREAT DANE!!! this little girl and her mother had a litter of 6 great dane puppies and their mother and father. they were giving them away! it was an accidental litter and they couldn't afford them.

my friend was shocked at how big the dogs were and paid no attention to the pups as i was playing with them all and asking questions. it seemed quite fishy that they were "free". i wanted one soooooooooooooo bad, but knew my parents would kill me.

the worst part is when my dad picks me up i told him about them and he says "why didn't you get one? they were free." i wanted to cry so bad. i could have had my very own dane and blew it!:(

GraciesMommy
02-19-2005, 03:51 PM
That is so wild...because we just got home from petsmart and there were 2 Great Danes there..of course they were not free, they were someone's kids...and all the way home my hubby kept saying "Now, I wouldn't mind having one of those"....

Darn..I wish you could have gotten one! They are really beautiful..I am a toy dog person myself..but always love the big un's...

Karen
02-19-2005, 03:56 PM
I think that your father saying that means the next time - you get to take that free puppy home! I take it they were all gone by then ...

lute
02-19-2005, 04:04 PM
they have to be gone now. there was only 2 left when i got there.

luvofallhorses
02-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Aww don't blame yourself, you didn't know until your dad said you could have one. Karen is right maybe next time :). *Hugs*

flamepony12
02-19-2005, 04:33 PM
It would never hurt to go back and check.... :D;)

I'm very sorry~ these kinds of things always leave us thinking, "why me??"

Great Danes are gorgeous, I wish you could've gotten one!! What color(s) were they?

Devon... :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-19-2005, 05:52 PM
I don't think it would hurt to see if maybe they might still be there...

I love Danes:D Too bad you didn't know your parents would be ok with it. ((hugs))

lute
02-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by flamepony12
It would never hurt to go back and check.... :D;)

Great Danes are gorgeous, I wish you could've gotten one!! What color(s) were they?

Devon... :)
it's too late to go back now. there was a fawn and a black.

cyber-sibes
02-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Don't feel bad - you made a decision not to do it without your parent's permission and I think you deserve some credit for that! You'd have felt much worse if you took one home and then had to give it away!

Uabassoon
02-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Don't worry too much about it, you know how parents are. I'm sure if you had gotten the puppy your dad would have been mad. Once you brought it home your dad would have realized that "free" dog is going to cost him a lot of money. However if you think your dad was serious, maybe you could talk to him about getting another dog.

The whole situation makes me sad though, a dog is not an impulse. He should have at least charged a few dollars so that people would at least have to think for a few seconds. A dog is a huge resonsibility, especially a HUGE great dane! I worry that some of the people who took the free cute puppy are going to dump then at the shelter when they realize the puppy is going to be the size of a pony.

lute
02-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Don't worry too much about it, you know how parents are. I'm sure if you had gotten the puppy your dad would have been mad. Once you brought it home your dad would have realized that "free" dog is going to cost him a lot of money. However if you think your dad was serious, maybe you could talk to him about getting another dog.

The whole situation makes me sad though, a dog is not an impulse. He should have at least charged a few dollars so that people would at least have to think for a few seconds. A dog is a huge resonsibility, especially a HUGE great dane! I worry that some of the people who took the free cute puppy are going to dump then at the shelter when they realize the puppy is going to be the size of a pony.

your right! dad probably would have been pissed if he came to pick me up and found a puppy in my arms.lol i'm actually supposed to be getting a husky for jr. showmanship, but the breeder doesn't ever contact me. i have to contact her and even then i'm luck to get to talk her her. i'm giving her till next sat then i'm telling her nevermind. i can find another pup.

i really do hope that all the people that took the pups actually know what they are getting into. they had the sire and dam there, but some people look past them and only see the cute "little" puppy.

Vette
02-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Free Dane puppies?! :eek: :eek:

sounds too good to to be true!

Corinna
02-19-2005, 07:39 PM
In the next few months check your local as and shelter they will be there. People just don't get it how big they get. We are thinking about getting one but too dogs now.
Next dog will be a boxer of dane. Too bad you didn't get one.

Karen
02-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Probably true.

I HOPE all the pups ended up in good homes, but my family got my beloved (now at the Rainbow Bridge) Great Dane mix (1/4 Lab, all else Dane) third- hand. The people who got her from her mother had an elderly miniature poodle, and the "man" wanted a big dog. Well, a couple months into it, they realized they hadn't a clue, and put an ad in the paper. Gracie had rickets from being malnourished (fed in the same dish with adult dogfood as the elderly poodle), had scars oon her face from being beat up by the elderly poodle, and - this is the best part - they were teaching her to jump up in their arms when they clapped. Yikes! Took us months to "untrain" that behavior, but it was important as she grew to be 140 pounds as an adult.

Suki Wingy
02-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by lute
i'm actually supposed to be getting a husky for jr. showmanship
Oh! why Jr.???? That'a all about your skills and not about the dog's conformation! I wish with all my heart I could get a show dog, but I don't think I would ever show in the Jr.s ring. Maybe you should tell that breeder you are finding a new one and don't hessitate to tell him/her. Your breeder should always be there for you to answer your puppy questions, your showing questions, your questions about the dog in general. Try to find a breeder that you could see yourself becoming friendly with.
**Just a bit of abvice!

lute
02-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
Oh! why Jr.???? That'a all about your skills and not about the dog's conformation! I wish with all my heart I could get a show dog, but I don't think I would ever show in the Jr.s ring. Maybe you should tell that breeder you are finding a new one and don't hessitate to tell him/her. Your breeder should always be there for you to answer your puppy questions, your showing questions, your questions about the dog in general. Try to find a breeder that you could see yourself becoming friendly with.
**Just a bit of abvice!
thanks!:D

i'll be in jr. till i get used to the ring then i'll move to the main ring. i was thinking that the breeder was hesitating to contact me cause i will be co-owning the dog so she won't charge me for it, but when i was going to pay for it she was very nice to me. i think she was much more intrested in the money then helping me with my handling.