PDA

View Full Version : How do you STOP biting nails!?!

Tweety_Pie
02-18-2005, 10:50 PM
I can't stop biting my nails! Its a bad habit!!!:eek: :( And I bite them sometimes when I am nervous and they get too short.. so they hurt!! Its always been a bad habit.. and I need to stop!

What do you do to stop biting your nails?

If nothing works I'm gonna just have to duck tape my hands to chair;) :p

PJ's Mom
02-18-2005, 10:56 PM
They sell a liquid that you paint on your nails. It's supposed to help you stop biting your nails by being very bitter. :eek: Have you tried that?

NoahsMommy
02-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Get them manicured. You'll not want to ruin your pretty nails by biting on them.... ;)

Corinna
02-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Bitex was what worked for me as a kid. Tabasco sauce worked for my brother. Horse poop is good too(have to be serious about quitting and hard core biter. )

buckner
02-18-2005, 11:10 PM
I say go with the duct tape. Duct tape the ends of your fingers and you'll quickly learn you look like an idiot so you'll stop.

*snickers*

GoldenRetrLuver
02-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Braces. ;) He he. I haven't had the urge to bite my nails since I first got them on.

I've heard nail polish works but I've never tried it. The duct tape also sounds like a good idea.

catnapper
02-19-2005, 02:19 AM
I used to do that too. Until my senior year of highschool. One day I saw someone else chewing their nails and thought how ugly that person looed while gnawing on their nails, and then looked at how ugly their nails looked. I determined that I wuold stp biting my nail and have real nails for the prom. I even wrote an essay in English class about it. I remember to thisday what the teacher wrote across the top -- it was so encouraging and I knew she'd cheer me on!

By prom they were *better* but not quite long enough to consider prom style, so I wore Lee press on nails! :eek: But today my nails are usually good and long naturally unless they get too long and start peeling and breaking Then I gnaw them down a bit and start over... but even after I gnaw them down (there never seems to be a file handy when I need it so I chew!) and start all over again. Right now they are about as short as they get, but its still a good 1/8" or so longer than wjen I habitually chewed them.

Vette
02-19-2005, 04:37 AM
I cant stand long nails. i keep mine as short as i can. but if a finger nail is bothering me when i dont have clippers at the time,, i just bite it off.. :eek:

BitsyNaceyDog
02-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Vette
I cant stand long nails. i keep mine as short as i can. but if a finger nail is bothering me when i dont have clippers at the time,, i just bite it off.. :eek:

me too.

In high school I was a bad nail biter. I would always bite my nails when I was in class if I were nervous or just bored. After I graduated it just stopped.

sirrahved
02-19-2005, 08:03 AM
I've stopped biting my nails before, but I always go back. I'm not the best person to ask for advice!

smokey the elder
02-19-2005, 08:14 AM
I used to be the worlds biggest nail biter. My grandmother said that if I wouldn't bite my nails for a month (and she could tell!;) ) that she'd treat me to a manicure! My nails only grow but so long before they split though. But I don't chew them to my elbows anymore.

anna_66
02-19-2005, 08:30 AM
I used to be a horrible nail biter when I was younger. Like you, I bit them until they hurt...all the time:(
I tried the stuff you put on your nail, but I still bit them.
What finally got me to stop? My dad. One day he told me how ugly they looked and a girl should have pretty hands and nails (not like his becuase he did the same thing). That was all it took!

Good Luck! Sometimes something like this can be just as hard as quitting smoking:eek:

MariaM
02-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Proud to say...I'm not a nail biter! Never have been. I tried once, just to see what all the hype was about, but it felt so awkward LOL. I've always been a peeler. But a couple years ago I stopped, and now my nails are always medium/long. If I peel them or cut them to the way I used to a few years ago, it feels REALLY weird. It was normal back then having them so short...but I just can't stand it now.

Btw...speaking of nails...FRODO'S NAILS MAKE ME WANT TO SCREAM. They are soooooooooooo SHORT. And Sauraman's are sooooooo long. Gandalfs are just gross lol. What is it with Lord of the Rings and nails? o.O

Desert Arabian
02-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I don't bite my nails but I pick at them when I get nervous or excited. I tried the nail polish and that didn't work (for when I caught myself actually biting them). I got them manicured and I haven't been able to do anything. My real nails have grown soo long, I can see them sticking out under the fake nail.

EssTer
02-19-2005, 10:41 AM
I used to bite my nails, especially when I was nervous.. But I dont bite them any more, and I have NO idea (maybe I just dont remember) how to I stopped to bite them!

cali
02-19-2005, 10:41 AM
lol I have had long nails since I was 4 year old. if one breaks I do tend to bit them lol but as long as they are as long as they are I cant bite them even if I wanted to lol I will post a pic in a minute lol I get so many comments on my nails, normally asking me if they are real, yuppers never had a manicure in my life :p

cali
02-19-2005, 10:46 AM
heres a piccie of my nails, for those who have a dont like long nails, because I have had them long like this since I was 4, I learned how to do everything with my nails and actually have a hard time doing things without my nails lol

MariaM
02-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Woah! That's weird lol. If they were mine I'd cut them a bit because mine tend to break once they get too long.