PDA

View Full Version : Its heeerrrreee!

catnapper
02-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Ugh... the flu is in my house. My daughter has been home sick since Tuesday with the flu and now it looks like its my turn. Cough cough, hack hack. snif snif. Ugh.

Any home remedies or over the counter meds that work best for the flu? My daughter had Prescription Robitussin with codeine, but I can't refill it and won't go to the doctor for myself (I'll suffer like a big baby but won't spend the money for myself.)

Nomilynn
02-18-2005, 08:30 PM
If you can take all kinds of cold medicines without the yucky side effects, I found that Benelyn-1-All-In-One caplets worked well. They were specifically for the flu. I can't take cough suppressants so it made my stomache upset but if they don't bother you, it might work :)

cloverfdx
02-18-2005, 08:37 PM
I have no advice for you about meds. But get well soon Kim {{Hugs}}.

Twisterdog
02-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Uuuggg, I know the feeling. I have been sick all week. Last weekend I started feeling terrible, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, etc. So I started taking antibiotics for that. So, that clears up yesterday, and I'm feeling a little better ... and then the head cold starts. It's like, "Fine. You killed the bacteria. Well, see what you can do about this virus, sweetie." Grrrrrrrr. :mad:

NoahsMommy
02-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Kim,
I caught a tiny version (thank God for my immunity-the only good thing! ;) ) of David's flu. I got something called "Sootherbs" They are in the cough drop section and come in a couple flavors. They have zinc, echenacea and vitamin c, I felt WAY better the next day.

Hope you feel better soon. Remember to drink TONS of water.

petslover
02-18-2005, 09:16 PM
I hope you get feeling better. The flu is very rough.

DJFyrewolf36
02-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Man, my whole office has this garbage. Its a giant caugh fest at work. I got sick and was out for two days. My boss was out for three and some people have been out for a week!! I took some extra strength Robtussen and went to sleep. If you can get rest and drink a lot of things with Vitamin C, you'll feel a lot better. Is your appitite taking a nose dive? Mine did, I didn't eat much when I was ill. Drinking lots of OJ kept my energy up pretty well though.

shutterbug0303
02-18-2005, 09:25 PM
I just had the "mini-flu" and it was no fun! Lots of bed rest and Tylenol Sinus kept my nose cleared up enough to sleep. It was gone in a weekend. Hope yours is outta here fast! Feel better soon.

PS keep that box of tissue's with you at ALL TIMES! lol

Oggyflute
02-18-2005, 09:54 PM
I used to get flu all the time, then my partner finally convinced me to get a flu shot. Best thing I ever did. Havent had the flu since, and I deal with the public all the time at work.

Sevens
02-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Luckily I work in a hospital and they gave out the flu shots to us for free.

However, recently when I had cold/flu like symptoms before the flu shot, I tried taking Airborne. You put it in water and it dissolves like an Alka Seltzer tablet. Tasted like watery orange juice with Nutrasweet in it. Yucky, but I just downed it the way you would a shot of whiskey.

It's got all sorts of herbs and Vitamin C in it. It didn't cure my symptoms, but it did make things get better way sooner. Normally if I get sick with cold/flu symptoms, it goes on for about 7 days. This time it only lasted 3 days.

You can find it in the cold/flu section at the drugstore.

Good luck and I hope you feel better!

Vette
02-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Ew! i hate the flu. i hope you and everyone else in your family that has it gets better soon. *hugs*

im just finally starting to get over my stinking cold that has been lingering around for what seems like a really long time.

catnapper
02-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Thanks guys! I am currently hurting real bad. Its almost 3:30 in the morning here and I can't sleep. My ribs and back hurt so bad when I lie down from all the coughing. My throat kills me. I can't sleep because I'm hot then cold. I want to tossand turn, but hubby and Pouncer are taking all the room in bed (actually Pouncer has most of it... of all nights for him to decide to join us in bed like he used to!)

I took a shower hoping that would make me feel better and it felt great while I was in there! LOL

Gosh I just feel miserable. And tomorrow is a big day. My mom is coming up and we're supposed to go shopping for my nephew's birthday gift, and Katrina's new family is coming from Massachusettes to pick her up. And I have to deliver a portrait that isn't even remotely close to being complete.

WAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh

wolfsoul
02-19-2005, 02:52 AM
Aww, that sucks.

They always say to use medicines that treat individual symptoms. They are much more effective than ones used to treat three r four different things. I always get a sore throat when I have the flu, and so far I have found that the best thing is gurgling with vinegar. Tastes really bad, but just pretend it's water.

LKPike
02-19-2005, 09:07 AM
you see!? this is why there will be no children entering our household!

(unless theyve been locked inside a bubble. a very thick bubble.)

Oggyflute
02-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by LKPike
you see!? this is why there will be no children entering our household!

(unless theyve been locked inside a bubble. a very thick bubble.)

Yeah, we live in a kid free zone. :D

davidpizzica
02-20-2005, 07:03 AM
I've been fighting the flu all this weekend. If I'm not seezing, then I'm coughing and my throat is real sore. I 've been taking Alka Selzer cough & cold formula and it seems to help. With my voice, I've gone from a tenor to a bass pretty quick which rules out singing in the choir this morning!

sirrahbed
02-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Since I don't know anything that halts a cough as well as codeine...you can still get it OTC in the children's cough medicine section (check the generics) but you have to drink the whole bottle to get 30mg:p But, it sure is worth a night of sleep w/o coughing!!