PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much Exorcise?

Naomi Winkel
02-18-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm currently training for a marathon. Since both my dogs were pups they have ran with me (around 8 years now) I'm currently running 10 miles, which is approximately 1 1/2 hours of running, with another 30 mins. of walking after, 3 days a week. On days we don't run, they get walked approximately 1 1/2 hours. I give them water at around the hour mark. I've even given them some of my sport drink. Am I over doing it for the dogs? They love it, but I'm still afraid I could be hurting them. Please advise....

bckrazy
02-18-2005, 05:28 PM
:) its awesome that you give your doggies so much exercise and attention! For most dogs, its the lack of exercise thats the problem.

The things to worry about when you're running your dogs a lot (especially since they're getting older) are worn pads, dehydration/heat exhaustion, bloat, and arthritis. Check their pads after each run, they should feel rough, if they're smooth that means they are worn out and need to see the vet and stay off their feet. This can be prevented by putting booties on them, with good traction, similar to sled dog booties.. I've seen a lot of runners use these on their dogs! they also help with hot pavement. Make sure you do keep them hydrated and don't run them when its too hot out. However, you shouldn't let them down a large bowl of water after running hard, because it could lead to bloat (especially in large, deep-chested breeds). Also wait at least an hour before/after running to feed them. Some older dogs can begin to develop arthritis, so just keep an eye on how they look and if they seem to be in any pain while running or afterwards.

I am so not an expert on this, but my sister runs 5 miles with my dog 3 or 4 days a week, so I've already asked my vet/other runners about everything to look for. It sounds like your dogs are very loved and well cared for ;) I wish everyone would run 10 miles with their dogs - it would solve a lot of destructive behaviors, barking, and loneliness that also causes so many pups to end up in shelters.

Naomi Winkel
02-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Thank you so much for your input. You have helped allot. I never considered checking their pads. So far so good by the way. However, I am going to check into booties. I don't want to get to the point where they need to go to the vet. These are the type of dogs that wont let you know if they are worn out or in pain until after their work.
Again, thank you!:)

dragondawg
02-19-2005, 07:12 PM
A dog by nature is build for the short run. Even their primodial cousin the wolf brings down its prey by essentially tag teaming with other members of the pack.

Short runs of a couple miles is probably ok, although it should be done on soft dirt surfaces to eliminate stress to the skeleton. In the summer over heating is a concern for dogs.

Karen
02-19-2005, 07:20 PM
What breed dog are they? Just curious. Some breeds are better, more naturally built for running than others, and that would make a big difference. I am sure, for example, that they aren't Basset Hounds, or you wouldn't have to ask this question!

Naomi Winkel
02-20-2005, 09:02 AM
One is a Border Collie the other a border collie/lab/chow mix. Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate the help!

wolfie
02-20-2005, 06:11 PM
I've wondered that myself too. Thanks for your answers everyone - they helped me too!

I probably shouldn't bring Daph for long runs though, since she has arthritis. But it's nice to know that dogs can run for that distance.

stacwase
02-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Max runs 10+ miles regularly (with the 4-wheelers etc.) with no problem whatsoever. He goes about 20 mph for most of it, until he poops out and we slow down to 7 mph. I don't know how fast a marathoner runs - but I would think it would be a piece of cake for your dogs to keep up with you for 10 miles, unless they're toy breeds.

After along run like that, he spends the next day lounging around quite a bit - he loves it.

rebeccarichardson
02-22-2005, 07:04 PM
I get steamed when I see well intentioned dog [guardian's] running with their dogs on warm/humid days and the dog is obviously hot/tired and exhausted. [I've observed this when people are out hiking too far & too fast w/their dogs too].
In an effort to get exercise and put in "x" amount of mileage for themselves and their dogs, they often ignore the signs that their pet is in distress.
Dogs aren't very efficient in cooling themselves no matter what breed, age and in shape they're in!!
Please use caution.......and carry 'lots of water!!!

Naomi Winkel
02-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I see people who don't seem to even notice their dog(s) are exhausted or over heated. I've always watered my dogs during our runs and I never take them in the heat of the day. It's only common sense to "be aware"

Pit Chick
02-23-2005, 08:22 AM
I think as long as the dogs have been built up to this amount of running and you're keeping them well hydrated and watching for signs of distress, they should be fine. I don't know a lot about BCs, but as a breed they have been used to herd sheep over miles of land, to and from grazing pastures. They were meant for working, that's why they have so much energy, so I say if the dogs can keep up and are happy and healthy keep running. Since your dogs aren't herding sheep, this is the next best thing for them, they are very lucky dogs to have an active owner. :D

rebeccarichardson
02-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Although I agree w/"Pit Chick" that BC's are high energy and bred to "herd".....as a guardian of an Aus. Cattle Dog who tends to get "over heated" easily on sunny days, dogs that herd live stock move in "spurts" NOT to "jog mile after mile non-stop" .
Furthermore, BC's have quite a fairly thick fur coat--and so that is a factor to consider.
Dogs will try to keep pace w/their person out of love and excitement of being outside, even if they are lagging behind and tired....I see this a lot. I'm sorry if I'm sounding negative--I don't mean to....
Pets need exercise--just don't over do a good thing.

I think the BEST rule of thumb should be "Is the dog comfortable and enjoying itself the ENTIRE TIME??? Put the dogs needs and comfort level above YOUR own desires to get a great work out;)

Naomi Winkel
02-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Yes, they are always thrilled to go and they never run behind or beside me. People make fun of me and say they could run too if they had two sley dogs to pull them. The tension on the leashes are always tight. I've seen them get over heated on maybe a couple of occasions and stopped running. I got started too late in the morning. In the summer, I run between 6am and 6:30am, to beat the heat. I think my biggest concern has been their bones and like someone mentioned earlier, the pads of the feet. I'm not going to take them all the way to a full marathon. I can have one long day without them (I'd miss them terribly) I'm going to just keep them at 1 and 1/2 hour three days a week and walk them for 1 and 1/2 hour the rest of the week. I really appreciate those who are concerned, because I go absolutely crazy when I see an exhausted dog trying to keep up with his or her owner (can't think of another more endearing term) when they are either running or riding a bike, which really makes me mad. Anyway, obviously I asked about exorcise, because I do love my two girls and can't imagine hurting them intentionally. They are the love of our lives. These are my husband and my only kids. We've been married 28 years and have always considered our pets family.

stacwase
02-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I got a dog backpack for Max - big enough to hold a couple of bottles of water and a collapsible bowl. I haven't used it yet (lots of places to stop and drink on the trails we go to) but I will if we ever go jogging away from water again.

bckrazy
02-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Border Collies are the best dogs for running, imho!! They are bred to consistently run/jog through out the day to keep up with their herd... they are known for incredible stamina. My BC will chase a ball long distances at his top speed for over an hour, easily, of course with small breaks and water occasionally. 5 miles is also a fun run for him :)

Naomi Winkel
02-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Border Collies do have great stamina. When we run, they focus on the run and hardly notice when we pass other dogs. I also have a dog back pack. I carry two waters and a collaspable bowl. They get watered along the way. On days we run off trail, they stop and smell what ever and then run to catch up with me. When we get home from running, they bring me a ball or something to play with. I'm pooped, and they still want to play. I just don't want to be unaware of any hidden dangers to running so much with them. Like I said, they will be running no more than 1 and 1/2 hour 3 days a week, with their walks in between. I think I will be able to protect them that way.