PDA

View Full Version : What I been working on.

petslover
02-17-2005, 05:55 PM
For several months, I have been thinking about starting my own community project. So I built a site for it, and I want ya'll to let me know what you think about the site/idea.

Its called Community Helpers. Its going to be a volunteer group that helps an elderly person, a charity, a animal shelter, picking up the garbage at the park, basically just any type of help.

The thing is that I don't have anyone to help me with it. How do I get people to know about this? I am going to print up a sign tonight and post it on the board at college with the address to the website.

The website is www.geocities.com/helpingourcommunity

If you have any ideas for our first project, feedback, or anything please post it. thank you.

carole
02-17-2005, 05:58 PM
What a sweet idea , very thoughtful of you, I am not sure on any ideas, but wish you all the best with it, GOOD LUCK.:)

dukedogsmom
02-17-2005, 05:59 PM
I think it's a good start. How about cleaning up parks in the area of just picking up trash in general? I know that may not seem like much but it would be appreciated by those of us that choose not to litter. Or helping homeless people in the area. Maybe you could make sandwiches for them or something similar. Just make sure you're with adults and all. Check with your local shelter and see if they need volunteers. I'm sure they'd really appreciate the help.

Corinna
02-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Send flyers to schools , libarys, churches, Sr. clubs and nursing homes.
When I had girl scout groups we had kids who just read to seinior citisens who can't read well any more. We did yard clean ups for them too. We planted flowers at a nursing home for them to enjoy.
Did some babysitting so some single moms could have a couple hours to get errands done. There are so many things to do in a community. Good luck and I'm proud to see you began a small bit of service to others.

Oggyflute
02-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Local radio stations have a civic responsibility to do community announcements, so you could also try a few of them.

petslover
02-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Thank you all for the feedback. I am going to send out flyers, but I don't think we are ready for radio broadcasting yet. I will check into that once I get a few members though. Right now, We don't have any lol just me!

Laura's Babies
02-18-2005, 08:50 AM
We Had a group like that come to the shelter one day to help out and they were a great bunch of kids from a local school. The next day, they were going to help a elderly person doing some yard work. If you contact some churches you could find plenty of elderly/disabled to help and maybe even some more hands to help out. That is a great thing you are doing..

I had a club at the school I worked at and we raised money all year and cooked Thanksgiving dinner for the senior citizens in our area. Those kids had a ball cooking and I think I had more boys than girls.. There was not one mistake or burnt dish and all the food was as good as you would get anywhere! You could feed the elderly or homeless..Seek donations from your local supermarkets.

Feed homeless animals, raise money to spay/neuter or just work on flyers to pass out to bring awareness to spaying/neutering pets and how many lives one person can SAVE by spaying/neutering... and hand them out on street corners.

Make sure you keep a lot of pictures.

petslover
02-18-2005, 02:45 PM
I never thought about just passing out flyers to aware people about things. Thats a good idea. I plan to take pictures to post it on the website, but is there another reason to take pictures?