PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a hard time deleting PM's?

popcornbird
02-15-2005, 09:21 PM
I do...:o

My PM box is constantly full because I just don't want to delete some of my precious messages. I have some PM's in there that are two years old!

So...I was just wondering if I'm the only nut around here who can't bring myself to delete some old PM's, or are there others out there like me? Whenever its time to go through a PM clean up, I usually open each and every PM to make sure its not one I wanted to keep before I delete it. It takes a long time, sadly, and when I'm done, I'm only down from 200 to 180. What is my problem? I'm like that with emails too. Good thing you can keep far more than 200 messages in your email account, or I would be going crazy trying to figure out which ones to delete! Its funny because I don't go back and read them for ages, but I still want them there in case I ever get in the mood to go back and remember the old times. Are there any solutions to this problem? :p

micki76
02-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Know what I do? I just "save as" and save it as a webpage on my hard drive. It looks the same, has the same content, but I have room in my PM box.

MariaM
02-15-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah I have the same problem. Sadly, mine aren't even that valuable. :o

dukedogsmom
02-15-2005, 09:38 PM
I've got some from years ago, as well. I just can't get myself to delete them.

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Add me to the list! I do the same.... does setting up folders help? I've noticed that option but never used it.

CamCamPup33
02-15-2005, 09:55 PM
There are SO many PM's i have from way back when.....

I have from some when i first joined, and some from when me and Logan were making our plans.. Hehe, i can't bring myself to delete some either. :p

bluekat
02-15-2005, 10:05 PM
LOL hard for me too:p I always want to keep them because I also think I'll want to read over them someday, but I never do hahah

slick
02-15-2005, 10:06 PM
I have my PM's blocked most of the time but I do have some from 2 years ago when I first joined...as well as I have lots from friends that I can't seem to bring myself to delete. Micki, thanks for the tip for the "save as" and Sara, I'm going to look into the folders thing. Right now I have about 186 that are just too near and dear to my heart to get rid of.

popcornbird
02-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Know what I do? I just "save as" and save it as a webpage on my hard drive. It looks the same, has the same content, but I have room in my PM box.

I 'would' save them like that, but I'm not sure I want my family, friends, and anyone else that might use my computer to see the silly things I talk to about with PT'ers. :o There are ALWAYS other people on my computer, so I'd rather not save it somewhere accessible.

Sara, I've never used the folders either. Does anyone know if they count towards that 200 PM limit?

Its funny that some of my PM's mean so much to me I can't part with them. I bet a non-PT'er would think I'm nuts if I admitted this to them. :p

Kfamr
02-15-2005, 10:19 PM
I just checked, and yes, it does. That's kind silly though. :\

slleipnir
02-15-2005, 10:35 PM
I do..till I get fed up with sorting them or whatever then just delete them :p

Nomilynn
02-15-2005, 10:37 PM
I've never had that many PM's in TOTAL since I've started, I'm pretty sure. :p People rarely PM me. :p

wolf_Q
02-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Yes I have a hard time...usually it's not sentimental value (though for a few it is) mostly just because I'm lazy about it. :o

Kay just barely showed me how to see how many I have so I think I'll try to keep up now, before I had no idea when I was full (until I got notices in my email!)

Uabassoon
02-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Why not copy them and send them as an email to yourself so that you can still have them, yet free up space in your PM box.

Logan
02-15-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't PM a lot, so I guess I don't have this problem, but my box does get full sometime. I have never kept the old messages, though. Maybe I'm not using that feature enough!

anna_66
02-15-2005, 11:12 PM
I have all the pms people sent me when Angus passed and I just can't seem to part with them.

catnapper
02-15-2005, 11:19 PM
I have 5 that are never deleted. All others are trashed pretty fast. I had an email account that if I didn't do that, I'd not receive messages, and I learned the hard way its better to read and loose the info than to never have it it all! :D

NoahsMommy
02-16-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Why not copy them and send them as an email to yourself so that you can still have them, yet free up space in your PM box.
I do this too. Although, there are times when I just clean house. ;) I don't like a lot of things cluttering my inboxes, so I use folders with my email.

I always save the sentimental/friendly ones. :)

kimlovescats
02-16-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

Laura, I do that very thing sometimes! It works, doesn't it?;)

Vette
02-16-2005, 06:18 AM
Yep. i be the same way. you should see my email inbox. its even more of a mess! :D

cloverfdx
02-16-2005, 06:53 AM
I think i have a whole 3 or so that i cannot part with ;). I had a good clean out last week and deleted a few aswell.

Lexi_Lover
02-16-2005, 04:38 PM
How do you get so many? I only had 36 and iot was telling me it was full and I couldn't receive anymore! :confused:

I am like you, now I only have 2 in there and I am getting e-mails that my inbox is full! :confused:

momoffuzzyfaces
02-16-2005, 05:00 PM
:confused: There's a 200 PM limit?
I thought it was only 50!
I've been hanging on to some for a long time too!:D

lizbud
02-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
How do you get so many? I only had 36 and iot was telling me it was full and I couldn't receive anymore! :confused:

I am like you, now I only have 2 in there and I am getting e-mails that my inbox is full! :confused:

Check your "sent messages" & "message tracking" totals. You'll
need to delete those too.

anna_66
02-16-2005, 06:09 PM
How do you find out how many you have without going through and counting them all?

dukedogsmom
02-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
How do you find out how many you have without going through and counting them all?
On the main pet talk chat screen it tells you down at the very bottom. I've got 159. I need to clean, though as some are not ones I need to keep.

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Yup, it's hard for me to delete PMs too!! I love 'em!:D

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover

That's so weird!! I have 64 PMs in my box currently:eek: and mine isn't full, though I NEED to delete some, lol!!:p

Cookiebaker
02-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Yes, I do. For the past week, I've had 199 PM's in my folders, and have dreaded the task of weeding them out. But I just took the time right now, and I'm down to 73 that I can't bear to part with. :p Oh, well, at least there's lots of room now. :)

K9soul
02-17-2005, 10:10 PM
I do have a hard time deleting them, especially any that have sentimental value like a kind compliment or a nice letter. I saved a bunch on my own computer to keep since I'm the only one who uses this machine.

lizzielou742
02-17-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm exactly the opposite of most of you. I don't save ANYTHING. No emails, no PMs. I delete them all. After each check of my email (about 10 times a day) or PMs, I empty all folders: Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Bulk AND Trash. Even in my Gmail. I'm very paranoid about it. If I really need something I print it out, then delete it.

anna_66
02-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
On the main pet talk chat screen it tells you down at the very bottom. I've got 159. I need to clean, though as some are not ones I need to keep.
Ok, maybe I'm just dumb but what chat screen are you talking about:confused: I've looked but can't seem to find it!

Duh! I just found it! I can't believe I've never seen that before...thanks Val:D

Kfamr
02-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Anna, at the main page - as in www.petoftheday.com/talk
Scroll all the way down and after where it shows who's online - there's a section as "Private Messages"