PDA

View Full Version : Surely someone would know....

catnapper
02-15-2005, 12:40 PM
where I can find information on upcoming craft fairs in my area?

How do I go about it? Is there a resource I don't know about?

Yesterday a custodian approached my husband at school... here's the conversation:
Custodian: I have 40 boxes of this craft stuff and don't know what to do with it. Its been sitting in the basement for over a year now.
Hubby: Nobody wants it?
Custodian: I was told to throw it out ,but it seems such a waste to me.
Hubby: Put the boxes in my closet. My wife might be able to use them.

He then asked the principal if he could have the supplies... and was given the go-ahead to bring them home. He brought home one box last night and I was AMAZED at what was in there! Each box easily has 30-some dollars worth of supplies for scrapbooking and shadowboxes! :eek: He has FORTY BOXES!!! They were donated to the school by the company that made the kits, and the projects can't be done because they don't fit within the state standard art lessons. Shame for the school... hurray for me!

Sooo.... I'll be able to make up a ton of scrapbook-type shadowboxes and sell them at craft fairs! I just need to know HOW to contact the various craft shows that might be happening for the springtime!

Logan
02-15-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm going to email my friend, Josie, for you and ask her how she finds the ones that she and her husband attend and sell their jewelry. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from her.

Logan

catnapper
02-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Thank you Logan, I would appreciate that! I'll photograph a few shadowboxes when I have them done... I'm going to need pricing suggestions! I looked online and the kits sell for $16.99 MSRP each. I will be doing 90% of the work to putting the kits together and leaving the final touches to the "end user" like adding photos and names, etc. Since they are free to me, I don't care what I make off them! :D

Kfamr
02-15-2005, 01:46 PM
That's so cool!

Wish my school would share the wealth like that. :p

cfuh
02-15-2005, 03:44 PM
dunno if this will help: http://festivalnet.com

Corinna
02-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Try asking the Chamber of commerce in your area .They usually know who to contact.

Logan
02-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Here is my friend's response. I guess she doesn't have a site to go to with all of the shows listed. Hopefully the link cfuh gave you will be of some help, too.

hi logan
my advice is usually to start small
do a show close to home so you don't have a lot of expenses with motel and food expenses
there are often church shows around christmas time
or she may find one through a parks and recreation program in a local park
she can go on line an perhaps find a show through a local chamber of commerce
they sometimes sponcer shows
the big fancy shows that draw huge crowds are not for the beginner usually
because the rent is to high and the competition fierce
what has been most successful for us is a small hometown show with local entertainment
hope this helps

catnapper
02-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks Logan! It does help! I'll call the chamber of commerce tomorrow, as well as just calling local schools and churches. Surely somebody is planning on some spring craft shows!

kimlovescats
02-16-2005, 06:14 AM
WOW, Kim .... what a deal ... good luck in your new venture! Please do post pics, I'd love to see what creative things you come up with!;)

Logan
02-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Hey Kim, I wanted to give you the link to my friend, Josie's, website. Her message board is where we had the discussion and now there has been further discussion from someone else. Just thought it might be insightful information for you.

Logan

http://groups.msn.com/JRROCKSHOPCRYSTALARROWSBYJOSEPHINE/crystalarrows.msnw