PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I got for Valentines Day...

catcrazylady
02-15-2005, 10:15 AM
I officially got fired from my job of 15 years!:eek: Happy Valentines Day to meeeeeee.:rolleyes: Now hubby and I are both unemployed. We both worked at the same company (big mistake!) and last Monday he lost his job of 20 years and this Monday I lost mine.:mad:
*Deep Breath*
I know that somehow everything will work out and new jobs are right around the corner for us both (praying).
I have to tell you all how wonderful the cats have been. I know they can sense all the stress in the house and hubby and I both have been physically covered in cats constantly! Even Stubby curled up in my lap this morning and purred like a frieght train. That NEVER happens!:eek: I have had a rotten cold so for the last couple of nights I have slept in the recliner to keep my head elevated and every morning I have woken up with at least three or four cats piled on top of me. They have ALL become purring velcro kitties. :)
They all seem to know just how much meowmie and daddy need them right now and they are certainly coming through for us. They never cease to amaze me. I am so thankful to have them.:)
Now lets all pray that we can afford to feed them!!!!;) :D
I just wanted to share with my PT family just how wonderful my furbabies are.:)

Craftlady
02-15-2005, 10:25 AM
So sorry to read this about your jobs. Hope the company gave good severance packages. I hate when companies down size.

catcrazylady
02-15-2005, 10:29 AM
No severance! I was given the rest of the weeks pay and told to go file for unemployment. How's that for a big Thank You for your service? Same thing for hubby.
They do have to buy out our stocks but they don't pay those out until June. It will be enough to tide us over briefly but we have to do something in the meantime.
I'm trying to remain positive though. Something good comes from everything bad! We got handed a lemon and I'm trying to figure out how to make lemonade.;) I hate lemonade so this is rather difficult for me!:p :D

slick
02-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Omg, I'm so so sorry. I just can't fathom it. What's with all the "losing jobs" around here? Is it something in the air, or the alignment of the planets, or what!!

Just remember the old saying about one door closing and another one opening....it's so true and I just know better jobs are out there for you both.

Prayers on the way and I'm so glad that the kitties are close by. Feel better.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
I'm trying to remain positive though. Something good comes from everything bad! We got handed a lemon and I'm trying to figure out how to make lemonade.;) I hate lemonade so this is rather difficult for me!:p :D

Lisa, I'm so glad to see you're trying to remain positive because as you probably already know, I'm a full believer that everything happens for a reason, even if you can't see it at the time. You will find something better and something you both like better. Life will be good again. :)

And how wonderful that you have such loving kitties to help you through all this. Stubby - on your lap - purring!! :eek: :eek:

kimlovescats
02-15-2005, 10:39 AM
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! :mad: Lisa honey, I am so very sorry .... this really stinks!!!:( :( :( Please hang in there, God has a plan for you and your hubby, I know He does!!!! I have the same darned cold you do ... but I am going to call you soon, and we can just sniffle together!!!:D

Love and Hugs,
Kim

val
02-15-2005, 10:40 AM
So sorry to hear of your bad news! Thank goodness for your "brats" to brighten your day! Unemployment I'm sure will help but I know can't be as much as what you were making. And after 15 years and 20 years? Don't they believe in loyalty? First get yourself well (how about a nice bowl of steamy chicken soup?) and then break out the classifieds, network with friends, etc. Maybe your vets office has a job opening! I hear some give their employees great discounts, LOL!;) Something great will happen, just hang in there and your friends at PT are here for you:D

mina'smomma
02-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Ohhh Lisa is there anything I can do? Mina says to send you guys her wet food and toys!!!:eek: If there is anything I can do to help please let me know ok?

catlover4ever
02-15-2005, 11:16 AM
OH Lisa, I feel your pain and frustration as I have been there and done that ..... and does it ever SUCK! :mad:

Keep your chin up and maybe the kitties will give you some chin scritchies. ;) Keep a positive outlook and know that all of us here on PT are there for you as well as all your babies.

If you ever need to chat/talk or vent I'm just a PM away. I truely beleive that all things happen for a reason even if we don't see that reason right away. I'll keep you in my prayers that everything turns out OK.

To make you smile here is a picture of one of my babies that melts your heart....Abner sends his best.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p3688372680ac4964cbc880fbfbca89d1/f7950677.jpg

catcrazylady
02-15-2005, 11:36 AM
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

I can't believe this! Right after I posted I got a call for an interview!!!!!!!!! I have been sending out resumes for the last few months just in case but hadn't heard a word. I have an interview tomorrow afternoon at 2:30!!!!!

My spirits have been lifted and my heart is soaring because I got to see Abner too!!!!!:D :D :D I know this doesn't mean I will get the job but it does make me feel better to think that someone is looking at my resume! It gives hope!

Darn, these PT prayers work FAST!!!!:D Thanks so much for all the wonderful and kind words of encouragement! I can't tell you all how much they mean when you feel so down. I have no doubt that this is going to be the best thing that ever happened for hubby and I. It's just a matter of waiting it out.
I did learn on thing though....never ever again will we work for the same company!;)

*SMOOCHES* to my ever precious and adorable Abner! I just love you!!!:D :D :D

Laura's Babies
02-15-2005, 11:36 AM
WE will not let you kitties go hungy~ if it ever comes to that, just pm me and I will send you money to buy food for them.. I will tell Rie Rie too since she has a bank account to take care of my bills when I am gone, so if I am gone, send her the pm... We will NOT let Gooster and the Brats go hungey. It is better to do this than see you have to place them somewhere else. That is what friends are for!!

Hang in there Lisa, you and hubby will survive, the Lord takes care of his own and he will take care of you! Let go of the worry and let God handle that part!

Corinna
02-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Good lick to you on the interveiw . I'm getting ready to take my son to a job fair he's been out of work for a year. Lazy a bit so I'm tired of paying all his bills. Tough love starts NOW.

kimlovescats
02-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Fabulous news girl .... see? GOD is IN CONTROL!!!! With your work experience, and dedication of 15 years, they will snatch you up in a second and hopefully realize that the old company's loss is THEIR GAIN!!!!:D

catmandu
02-15-2005, 12:18 PM
The Cat Angels,Found Cats,and I are praying,for your husband,and yourself,Lisa,and we pry,that you,two,get much better jobs.We,on Pet talk,will do,what we can,to help you,and Pryers,are on thier way.Gary,and The Found Cat,Stray Cats,Rehomed Strays,and Angel Pets!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

catlover4ever
02-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Great news. I have to share just a quick story with you.

I lost my job back in 2000 and was out of work for 3 months. I interviewed for the hospital that I currently work for and I sent the lady I interviewed with a thank you note. It was very quick and just basically said thank you for taking time out of your schedule but the closer was that I wrote about how I looked forward to becoming a team member of the hospital and the department.....it got me the job.

While there were many more applicants that were much more qualified that me....that thank you note and the statement about becoming a member of the team is what got me the job.

So keep that in mind and drop a thank you note in the mail.

P.S. Abner says he LOVES YOU!!!!!! :) :) :)

mina'smomma
02-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Check your mailbox. I responded to your pm

catland
02-15-2005, 12:43 PM
That's great news about the interview. I hope it goes well.

If not, may I recommend making the rounds at the temp agencies? I don't know about your area, but here they are being used A LOT by employers to hire people. Sometimes for short assignments, sometimes as a way to evaluate a person before offering them a full time position.

Also, depending on where you live, another job hunting resource is Craigs List. Its a website located in several major cities. Go to WWW.craigslist.org. I think this brings you to the San Francisco site, but on the far right you'll see a list of other cities that have Craigslists sites.

catnapper
02-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Sorry about loosing your job -- GREAT news about the interview! goodl uck! And definately send that thank you letter!

(note to self... send a thank you note for the interview I had last week)

CalliesMom
02-15-2005, 12:52 PM
I just don't understand how employers can treat their people this way. :eek: I hope everything going well with the job interview and yes, thank you card work great!! When I interviewed for my PhD, I sent a thank you card to the everyone and my "soon to be" advisor emailed me back and offered me a position.

Craftlady
02-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Will keep positive thoughts for tomorrows interview. :)

catcrazylady
02-15-2005, 01:55 PM
You guys are AWSOME!!! Thanks for all the suggestions, and advice. I haven't been unemployed for many years!! I have been on four different online sights with local jobs and have submitted several resumes.
The thank you note is a wonderful idea. It was funny Meg because exactly what you wrote as a thank you note is what I said in my cover letter!! When I sent my resume to this company they weren't even hiring so maybe it did some good.:D
Laura! You made me cry!!! Thank you so much for that very kind and considerate offer! If I could get my hands on you I would just have to give a great big 'ol kiss and hug! That was so sweet!
Hubby and I are not proud people. We will do whatever it takes to keep our home and fur family up and running. Scrubbing floors doesn't bother me!;) We have a lot of family support too. My mom has offered to take out money on her line of credit until we can get our stock payoffs so that is an option.
We will be fine and I just KNOW it! I'm actually getting kind of excited at some new prospects. You have to be shaken up in this life sometimes and its all in how you land. I have lived with so many cats for so long that I have no doubt I will land on my feet!!!;) :D
Mina's momma, I have pm'd you and I will also email you. I can't thank you enough!
Bless all of my wonderful PT friends and family. Man, what did I do before I found you all?

iloverat
02-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Oh, Lisa, I am so sorry. Prayers are on the way to help with the interview tomorrow. ;) I hope you will feel better super soon, too. All the fur therapy is bound to help. Big hugs from me and Briggs, too - Bobbi

Grace
02-15-2005, 02:43 PM
I am so sorry about your rotten Valentines Day. Just goes to show, some of these holidays aren't worth the paper they are printed on!

FANTASTIC news about the interview tomorrow!!

I join with everyone else here - with prayers, good thoughts, lots of love heading your way.

And my 5 would be honored to share their stuff with your 12 (?) - anytime, anyplace, anyhow.

Prairie Purrs
02-15-2005, 02:46 PM
I have lived with so many cats for so long that I have no doubt I will land on my feet!!!;) :D

What a great quote! I'd like to have that done in needlepoint! :D

What a lousy thing for your employer to do! The very best of luck with your interview--I'm sure your positive attitude will win them over! :D

catfamily
02-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Lisa
I can't believe this happened to you both.I'm so very sorry.If you need anything please PM me and I can send something for you.We all need each other for help in different times so feel free to ask us for help.I mean it.

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-15-2005, 02:53 PM
All fingers, paws and tails are crossed here for that job interview tomorrow!! This HAS to work out, it just has to!!!

val
02-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Congrats on the interview and wishing you lots and lots of good luck:D !

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Be sure and ask for business cards from each one you talk to. That way you can make sure you spell their name correctly in your thank you not. Also will give you their email address if they have one.

I agree...many times I have seen the thank you note make a difference in a "close" selection process.

christa
02-15-2005, 05:27 PM
OMG, Lisa, I'm so sorry! I read your post at the beginning with tears in my eyes . . . they dried as I read all the wonderful posts from these awesome PT'ers, and then I cry again when I hear that you have an interview!

God is working here, you have to believe that He has a PLAN!!!

COME ON, PT . . . Get on your knees & pray for Lisa & her hubby! They both deserve a good life and we know that God will provide!

Lisa, one thing I've learned over the years is that you've got to pray for yourself and you HAVE TO HAVE FAITH that God will provide. Put this in his hands and He WILL provide for you both!

Take care, sweetie! You're in my thoughts & prayers!

QueenScoopalot
02-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Well Lisa..I guess you saw it coming, but chin up...things will get better! Hope the interview goes wonderfully for you, and you don't have to rely on unemployment for long. While you and hubby are home...kisses all around for all who'll accept them. And ((HUGS)) to you and hubby. Keep us posted, and we'll all be keeping you in our prayers! :)

chrangharris
02-15-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm so sorry about your job losses! We are praying for you!

carole
02-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Lisa even though we are thousands of miles apart, know that you and hubby and kitties are in our thoughts, all fingers and paws crossed here for you both to get jobs and soon, take care and love to all of you and the best of luck.:)

The magical power of PT will be working its miracle for you, that I am sure of.:)

kuhio98
02-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Late as usual checking in.... I'm so sorry to hear that your employer has treated you both so shabbily. I'm glad to hear you have an interview already. That was great thinking sending out your resumes ahead of time. Fingers and paws crossed that your hubbie soon gets some calls of his own!

Lisa

jenluckenbach
02-15-2005, 07:34 PM
I am SO, SO sorry to hear about your job loss...but best of luck with the interview! :D:D

Now if only Charlie and your hubby can be so lucky.

auggie
02-15-2005, 07:46 PM
CCL, you have such a great positive attitude.
I wish you the best of luck with your interview.
How are the job prospects in your area?
I’m worried about the very same thing at my job.
People have been let go and forced to retire early.
You will make a wonderful employee for some company.
Don’t worry, we won’t let your kitties go hungry.

NoahsMommy
02-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Lisa,

I'm so sorry your former employer cannot see what assets you and your hubby are. Their loss, BIG TIME!!!

I wish you lots of luck in your interview tomorrow. :)

I'll be praying you both find a job where are treated with respect. You deserve it.

Love, Kelly and the furkids. :)

krazyaboutkatz
02-15-2005, 11:32 PM
Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your job.:( I hope that your interview goes well tomorrow and I hope that your husband will also find work soon. Lots of PT prayers are on the way.:)

rg_girlca
02-15-2005, 11:46 PM
I am so sorry that you and your hubby have lost your jobs, but so glad to hear that you have an interview already.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way that the interview goes well.

shais_mom
02-16-2005, 12:03 AM
:(
hugs to you

sirrahbed
02-17-2005, 03:56 AM
How was the interview???:rolleyes: :o :D
It was on Wednesday, right?? Isn't today almost Thursday??
(I have been up since 2am and a bit foggy!)

catcrazylady
02-17-2005, 07:18 AM
UPPYDATE:

I GOT THE JOB!!!:D :D :D :D

First off, let me apologize for not getting back with anyone sooner. After the interview I had some thinking and talking to do with hubby. Once I talked everything out and the decision was made I got so exhausted. I stretched out and thought just a little nap and then I have to let PT know. I slept for hours and hours and hours!:eek:

Now let me tell ya about my new job.
Previously I worked in the corporate office of a manufacturing plant. The place I interviewed yesterday is also a manufacturing plant, just different product. I had no idea what I was even interviewing for! He just called after getting my resume. Now I assumed it would be an office position but I was wrong about that.
They need people in supervisory positions in the plant but they don't like to hire anyone right off the street into those jobs. He said they prefer to hire from within but most of the people on the floor refuse the higher jobs because they are so happy where they are!:eek:
My sister works there in the plant and she is one of those "no ambition, just give me my check" kind of people. She has moved around to many different factories but she LOVES this place and says she will never leave! That certainly says something about the company. They are all very relaxed, totally happy people! It's a small company and everyone was smiling or laughing when I walked through. You can't put a price on that!
So I was offered a position on the floor of the plant to start. He said you show us what you can do and the advances are limitless!

PROS
It's a job!
Family oriented company
Small (about 50 employees)
Happy people
Room for advancement
3 miles from my house!
Blue jean, tennis shoe job
Great hours (7:00am to 3:30pm)
Overtime is rare and is NEVER mandatory (unheard of in the factory world!)
Knowing someone who works there who can ease the first day jitters.
Spend time with my sister and carpool.

CONS
Lower pay (to start)
It's going to physically KILL my sorry desk bound butt for awhile.;)

I can't think of anything else! It is going to be a boring job but I think I need that right now. My brain is mush and this will give me a chance to start off slow, regroup and learn the plant, then kick butt and head into a higher paying job in the supervisory field!!!

God knows what I need right now and I trust him to put me right where I need to be at this moment. I have been in a high pressure job for so long that I'm really looking forward to leaving the job behind when I go home. You can't put a price on sanity and stress, it's just not worth it. I'm so excited!!!!

So sorry about the book!! I just had to share the details. I can never thank you all enough for everything. The love and support during some very dark and scary times for me meant so much! Thank you is not enough but it's the best I can do for now. I love you guys so much and I can't tell you how good it feels to know that I'm loved in return. What a great feeling that puts in my heart. No money value on that either!

catfamily
02-17-2005, 07:31 AM
OMG I'm so very happy for you.This is so wonderful.I never hear nice things like this anymore.(In the working area).I'm so excited for you.Good Luck and have fun!!:D :) :D

jenluckenbach
02-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Thank God. How wonderful for you! YIPPEE!!!

emily_the_spoiled
02-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Congratulations on getting the new job :D :D

This is going to give you some time to rejuvinate yourself (and spend time with the furry gang and of course your husband).

kimlovescats
02-17-2005, 08:42 AM
HALLELUJIAH!!!! Oh Lisa, God answers prayers and He takes care of His children! What a blessing this is! It sounds absolutely perfect, WOW!!!!

((((BIG CELEBRATORY HUGS!!!))))

Kim:D

Grace
02-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Another HALLELUJAH !!

God moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform.

I'm so very happy for you.

ramanth
02-17-2005, 09:00 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!! :D

K & L
02-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Dear Lisa
I've barely been on the computer these days. I've been SO sick myself that I can't even muster up enough energy to move off the couch. I'm just reading this and my heart aches for you. I just don't know what is going on these days. I've been having problems myself at work, and I've been there 21 years. I finally figured I didn't have anything to lose and went to our Employee Concerns Dept. and our HR department. Told them how I felt I was threatend (by a certain individual) and feared for my job. This has really stirred up the #$%@ and then I get sick and haven't been to work all week. I know he was confronted by the HR Dept. and I was told he's waiting my return to talk with me.

You and your husband sure didn't deserve this and I wish you the best of luck in your search of employment. Please let me know if there's anything we can do to help. We will gladly donate food for your cats whenever/if ever necessary!

Lisa

After writing this I see you got the job! I'm so happy, but my offer still stands...if you need anything don't hesitate to ask!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Way to go, Lisa!!!!

I agree that this sounds like just what you need right now. Low stress, time to recoup and get to know the place, then kick butt! :D

Lilith Cherry
02-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Great stuff Lisa!! When one door shuts, another door opens:) Ihope you find the new job is just what you need for now at least!

Craftlady
02-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Congrats on the new job.
I was in customer service for mfg company, I know that kind of stress. This place sounds like a great new beginging. :)

krazyaboutkatz
02-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Congrats on your new job Lisa!!!:D The company and people sound wonderful and the job sounds great too. Good luck.:)

Logan
02-17-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm behind and didn't know that you got the job until right now. Congratulations, Lisa!!!! :) It sounds perfect, even if it is for less money. If your stress subsides, that is terribly important.

As for this:

I have lived with so many cats for so long that I have no doubt I will land on my feet!!!

It is a priceless quote, and proved to be true so quickly!!!! :) :)

Gotta ask, is the company you were working for about to go under? It certainly sounds like they are in for some tough times if they would let go of two very loyal, longtime employees, so close together.

Logan

catlover4ever
02-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Lisa Good For You!!!!! I'm so happy for you. You are absolutely right...all things happen for a reason and it is always in God's hands and he does in deed provide for us.

Abner says he LOVES you and is so happy for you. "Auntie Lisa, here's a high 5 for ya....Love your ever adorable orange boy"
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p2806ff010982bef930cbd5c3380218bd/f8a40836.jpg

iloverat
02-17-2005, 01:41 PM
WOOHOO!!!!!! Congratulations , Lisa!!! :D I just couldn't be happier for you. That is wonderful news and I know a great relief for you and your husband. Very often, when changing jobs, we have to take a pay cut, but when there are opportunities for advancement, it is soooo worth it! You'll be movin' on up in no time!!!!! ((((((HUGS))))) from me and headbumpies from Briggs ;)

Vio&Juni
02-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Wow! Congratulations! You got a new job soon.

Last job I had was a seasonal contract and after it ended three months ago, I said - I want from two to four months vacation since I haven't had a proper long vacation in... ever. Well, after three months of vacation, so to name it, because I am doing translations from home, it feels like I'm almost ready to start working again. But, I really want a better job, not necessarily better paid, just better. Last one I had was a step back.

Don Juan's mom
02-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Golly, I was going to offer suggestions myself for job hunting, but I see you're back on your feet already! Me, I've got a temporary job that I hope will turn permanent, and all is happy....

EXCEPT DON JUAN! :mad:

He got used to having me around to play with him, spoil him, keep him company. Now, if I don't get on the floor right when I come in, he yells at me until I come over and give him his tummy rub and chin scratch. :D

Well, the "brats" have your husband and each other. They'll do fine. Hope his job hunt is as short as yours. :)

And if not, hmmmm.... twelve cats..... CAT CALENDAR! :D

Liz

smokey the elder
02-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Congratulations and good luck!

christa
02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Another answered PT prayer!

Congrats, Lisa! You never know where this will lead you . . . just hang in there!!!

kuhio98
02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
UPPYDATE:

PROS
It's a job!
Family oriented company
Small (about 50 employees)
Happy people
Room for advancement
3 miles from my house!
Blue jean, tennis shoe job
Great hours (7:00am to 3:30pm)
Overtime is rare and is NEVER mandatory (unheard of in the factory world!)
Knowing someone who works there who can ease the first day jitters.
Spend time with my sister and carpool.

Lisa ~ Congratulations on your new job. This is such great news.

I thought of a couple of more PRO's
New people to fall in love with and adore Magoo!
Possbility of hubby getting a job there too. (I know it's kind of risky both of you working for the same company. You've both learned that recently).

Lisa

val
02-18-2005, 01:39 AM
Congratulations on your new future! Jeans and tennis shoes-my kind of job! One more for the pro side - saving money on wardrobe!:D :D :D

catnapper
02-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Oh Lisa! I just found this! CONGRATS on the new job! I am so very excited for you. And yes, standing on the factory floor for a little while will definately help you regroup and refocus. You'll be the boss in no time!

Annnnddd... I've worked for companies where everyone was gloriously happy. I would give my eye tooth to be able to return to work there. I loved everyone there so much and I am sad the company is no longer there (boss relocated to Florida and I wasn't following him - sadly neither was anybody else).