PDA

View Full Version : God bless you?

ownerof3dogs
09-02-2001, 11:12 PM
OK I have a question to ask. The other day I was at work at the Animal Hospital and I was in the back in the dog kennel and one of the dogs sneezed. And I said "God bless you" the I relized that I say that to my dogs also when they sneeze.

I wanted to now if you guys also do this or if I am just going crazy :D

Fuzzy317
09-02-2001, 11:21 PM
I say "bless you" to any of my pets if they sneeze. I guess its just a habit.

TheAntiPam
09-02-2001, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by ownerof3dogs:
<STRONG>...
I wanted to now if you guys also do this or if I am just going crazy :D</STRONG>

You are going crazy. And we are going with you! Good thing we can take our pets along too! :D :D

Daisy's Mom
09-03-2001, 12:32 AM
Yep, I do it too! So does my best friend. Our other friends always make fun of us for it... but why shouldn't we say "Bless them" when they sneeze? They're sweet living things too and deserve to be blessed just as much as we do!

aly
09-03-2001, 02:09 AM
Hehe, I say it to my animals and the shelter animals too. Or if they cough, I always say "Are you okay, (insert nick name here)?". People in the pet store seem to get a nice laugh out of it, but it is perfectly normal behavior in the shelter and at home :)

Gio
09-03-2001, 07:08 AM
That sounds familiar! My Prema must be going mad with me though, since she is a true blabber mouth and she always answers me back :D

aly
09-03-2001, 11:56 PM
Something funny happened today after I had replied to this post. I was outside with the dogs and met one of my new neighbors. Lolly sneezed and she said "bless you" to Lolly. I think we're going to get along great :)

zippy-kat
09-04-2001, 12:10 AM
LOL

I knew I loved you guys!

YES I say "God Bless You!"
YES I say "Are you okay?"
YES others think I'm NUTS! :p

cr7clark
09-04-2001, 11:42 AM
The reason why we say "God bless you" to people and animals goes all the way back to the Middle Ages! People back then believed that when you sneezed, your soul left your body. Remember, there wasn't much medical knowledge around at that time, and being as how a sneeze is somewhat of a violent body action, it's understandable that folks believed it wasn't a good thing. Saying "God bless you" was a way to ensure that the soul returned to the sneezer's body. I always say "Gesundheit" when something or someone sneezes because it's German for "health to you". For me, sneeezing means you've got dust or pepper up your nose or you're catching cold or have allergies.
Just a bit of trivia for everyone to think about. ;)

Logan
09-04-2001, 12:00 PM
I'm Guilty! :eek: Dogs, cats, Helen....doesn't matter, I constantly say "God Bless You" when they sneeze! And when Lilly lets out a really big BURP :o ,which she often does, I make sure to say "Excuse you".

Dixieland Dancer
09-04-2001, 12:09 PM
I talk to my pets all the time and also say "God Bless You" when they sneeze! I personally think they like to hear something from us, just to make them feel better! With some of the conversations I have with them, I don't worry about other people thinking I'm nuts, I think I'm Nuts!!!!! But who cares???? Certainly not my dogs!!! :D :D :D

karen israel
09-04-2001, 12:31 PM
Oh Absolutely!! "God Bless You Sweetie" esp; after grass sniffing, "OOO Piggy!" after a burp. But the funniest of all was when Iwas teaching Cody to heel in puppygarden class. He walked in front of me, I stepped on his little heel, said "excuse me pups" and the teacher went ballistic that I had the audacity to apologize to my dog, but I tried to explain that I even say "excuse me" when I bump into chairs1 :rolleyes: :D Aren't we all so mannerly????

Pam
09-04-2001, 10:07 PM
Saying "excuse me" to chairs!! Karen you have me laughing out loud! :D

4 feline house
09-04-2001, 10:29 PM
Well, in our house, it's more like "bwess shu" but I think the sentiment is the same!

09-05-2001, 08:36 PM
Yep, I do it too but sadly I have even given it a second thought! What does that tell you! I am just a complete nut but in good company I guess :D!

Oh, and 4 feline is right - in my house it's alwasy "bweshu"!! That cracked me up! I can't believe (although I should know by now) that I am not alone in this!

thelmalu99
09-06-2001, 12:45 PM
LOL!!
Yah, I always say bless you when the boys sneeze, but then again I'm always talking to them:

"How was your day?"
"Have you seen Momma's keys?"
"Can you believe all of these bills?"
"What do you think about that?" (usually while watching the news.)

:rolleyes:

catwoman
09-06-2001, 04:49 PM
I'm like doggiemom, I say "Bless You" and have never given it a second thought!

The most embarassing thing I've been caught doing was singing the Bounty papertowel jingle to my cats, mindlessly, as I was playing with them in the floor in front of the TV. My ex-boyfriend thought I had completely lost it. :o

Daisy's Mom
09-06-2001, 07:50 PM
I talk to Daisy all the time. People think I am crazy. At night, I tell her about my day and I hear my sisters outside my room giggling at me. When we go for a walk, we sometimes stop to visit my friend who works at the ice cream stand, and everyone stares at me when I ask her if she wants anything. They jsut don't understand, I gues :)

KayAnn
09-06-2001, 09:11 PM
LOL! i thought i was the weird one!! I allways say "God Bless u Sim buttz!"
or i say "God bless u sneezer mutt!"

cr7clark
09-07-2001, 11:46 AM
I talk to Bo all the time, ask her if she had a good day, etc etc. People who don't own pets can't understand how closely we bond to them and how much like people we think they are. I honestly believe Bo understands a good bit of what I say to her. I don't care if people think I'm nuts or not, I'll continue to talk to my sweet kitty. :cool:

wolflady
09-07-2001, 11:52 AM
Bosmom, I say it for the same reasons you do! LOL My mom told me that little piece of history when I was young and it stuck. :D

It's so cute when my kitty babies sneeze. I get a good chuckle, and say "Bless you!" :D :D

You guys are a riot! :) I love it here!!! :cool:

margaret
09-07-2001, 12:03 PM
I'll add myself to the "nuts" list! I always say "bless you" to my two cats when they sneeze. My tabby, Saima, has allergies. She almost always has a stuffed-up nose and she sneezes on a regular basis. Sometimes she sneezes several times in a row (I think that's her way of "blowing" her nose). So I say "bless you" each time!

"Pshew!"
"Bless you!"
"Pshew!"
"Bless you!"
"Pshew!"
"Bless you! My goodness! So many sneezes!"

Kitty sneezes sound cute. ;)

09-07-2001, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by margaret:
<STRONG>I'll add myself to the "nuts" list! I always say "bless you" to my two cats when they sneeze. My tabby, Saima, has allergies. She almost always has a stuffed-up nose and she sneezes on a regular basis. Sometimes she sneezes several times in a row (I think that's her way of "blowing" her nose). So I say "bless you" each time!

"Pshew!"
"Bless you!"
"Pshew!"
"Bless you!"
"Pshew!"
"Bless you! My goodness! So many sneezes!"

Kitty sneezes sound cute. ;)</STRONG>

LMAO!! OMG! My Sasha sneezes when she gets excited! It's the cutest thing and if she is REALLY excited she sneezes several times too and I say bweshu.... bweshu... bweshu! WOW SNEEZY!! I should rename you after the dwarf! Then she gets a hug and kiss :D!

crow_noir
09-07-2001, 11:43 PM
*raises hand* add me to the list yup! i say it out of habit. i'd say the german one, but bless you is so much easier when you're in an english speaking country...out of habit.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-10-2001, 08:52 AM
My Buddy had a few sneezing fits over the weekend, and I found my self responding to every ah-choo! I said gesundheit, oh my goodness, bweshu, etc.! I guess I have been doing it for a while and never really thought twice about it, until this thread got me thinking! :D

nsweezie
09-19-2001, 09:21 PM
I say bless you to both of my cats, and any other animal. Sometimes people look at me a little strangely but that's life :)

Stenograsaurus
09-20-2001, 09:55 AM
I say bless you to my cats, dogs and horses. If they are coughing or making that noise they make when their nose is draining down the back of their throat or something is irritating their throat, I will stop whatever it is I'm doing and go over and rub their throat. My husband just shakes his head at me. He just doesn't get it like we all do.

karen israel
09-20-2001, 12:06 PM
Thank God you rub throats, Steno, I do too!!! I rub sick tummies, and OK, since we're playing confession, when Codys' nose runs, I get a tissue and tell him to blow! LOL :D :D :D Remember-this is the same person who sniffed paws to check for Frito Feet! :D You are just HYSTERICAL! :D This isn't craziness...it;s LOVE!!!!!

crow_noir
09-21-2001, 12:42 AM
i say bless you. i wipe mouths. (saves on furniture, carpet, and cloths...lol) and occasionally i wipe butts. (usually for the uncurable cling on, or before truck rides.) oh, and i wipe them off after they come in if it's raining or snowing.

Stenograsaurus
09-21-2001, 10:40 AM
I also noticed last night that if I'm walking and they step in front of me, I'll say excuse me or beep beep. My husband just rolls his eyes.

catwoman
09-21-2001, 05:07 PM
Beep Beep ... that is so cute! :)

Eudora
09-22-2001, 01:07 AM
Add me to the nuts list, I talk to Tanya all the time.
"Come here!" if she was bad.
"Where are you?" walk time.
"Did you see my wallet?"
"how about my keys?"
"Excuse me!" when she steps in front of me while we're walking.
And... "Bless you!" when she sneezes. She is so adorable when she sneezes... she will rub her nose with her paw and have this cute "blur" look on her face!

dababy
09-22-2001, 11:05 PM
:) I knew I was going to like it here! I talk to Brutus, our dog, all the time! I curl up with him on the floor and watch tv with him, and asked him how he liked it. If he sneezes (usually ON me! :rolleyes: ) I most likely say 'god bless you' or 'kazoontite'. Oh, and to add to the sneeze myth, I heard you say god bless you beacause the heart stops when you sneeze? I dunno...

I also always say excuse me to Brutie if I run into him, or if you stepped into my way. People stare at me when I talk to him on our walks! :D I ask him if he's tired and wants to go home...and I can usually get a response through those big brown eyes.

People without pets just dont get it, do they? :confused:

lbaker
10-11-2001, 06:26 AM
My four guys always start sneezing when they first come in and some up to me or when I walk in the door. My theory is that when they are happy and start to smile at me it makes their whiskers tickle their nose and THAT makes them sneeze. Sometimes they sneeze so hard they bump their sweet noses on the floor and I have to kiss them on the nose. oh well...Dog bless you.

laurie

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: lbaker ]