PDA

View Full Version : Hi - I'm new here....

LauraT7
02-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi all!

though I am new here, I already have quite a few friends here from the MSN Golden Retreiver board, so I thought I'd introduce myself and say 'Hello'!

I'm a single mom of a 14 yr old son, Jon, who is a freshman in HS and a very active Boy Scout. I've been a dog owner and lover all my life. I grew up with German Shepherds and as an adult have had Goldens. I've worked a bit with Golden Rescue, and our last golden was a rescue.

Sadly, we lost our beloved Tristan to Lymphoma just three weeks ago. We were able to have 4 very happy extra months with him, thanks to Chemotherapy and the emotional and financial support given us by IMOM, (a pet charity) and my many longtime friends from MSN's Golden Retreiver and Golden Guardians boards, as well as local friends who helped raise funds for his treatment.

Tristan was the center of our family. He brought us out of a really bad time after my Dad died suddenly in 2001 - and while we only had him for a little over 3 years, we crammed a lifetime of love and adventures into that time together. Tristan loved everybody and everything. he was the perfect 'ambassador' of Rescue, the mascot of our boy scout troop, my second child, and my son's best friend.

A month before Tristan died, on Christmas Eve, a stray ginger -kitty showed up in our garage looking for food and shelter. ( He'd been stealing Tristan's dogfood out of the storage bin!) I started leaving food out for him and made him a bed in the garage. He was skittish, but he was obviously looking for companionship as well as food - as he would hang around after eating and 'talk' to us. When the temperature Dropped below 0 one night, I sat in the garage, wrapped in a blanket for an hour - and coaxed him into my lap and then into the house - where he stayed for the next three days of the deep cold spell.

We've never had a cat before, so this has been an interesting experience! Kitty's name is now "Teal'c" - and he has complete run of the house.

Teal'c was inside the last few weeks of Tristan's life - and while Teal'c was very skittish and cautious of Tristan, they got along to the point of sharing the same couch with Jon - though Teal'c always chose his spot carefully! Tristan was always very gentle and accepting of any other animals, and Teal'c was no exception. But Teal'c didn't know that Tristan would never hurt him!

Anyway, Teal'c has become quite 'at-home' with us. Because we always gave him ample opportunity to leave whenever he chose - by holding any door open for him as he passed, he learned to trust us very quickly. He's a very smart cat - Before he came into the house the first time - when I had started feeding him - he would come into the garage and sit on the garage steps by the doggy-door and 'Meow" for me to come out and feed him or talk to him. After the deep cold was over, we had a big snowstorm (2-3') and we'd let him out, but he would go to the sandy dog run to potty, or wander out close to the house, but he came back very quickly to the warm and dry house. It didn't take long to find he'd learned to use the doggy door himself - as we would let him out - but then he'd magically re- appear inside again!! Now he uses the doggy door both ways, whenever he needs to.

We figure he was someones pet, but got left behind when they moved or something. However, a friend who works with Cat rescue looked him over, and says that although he is young, probably around 18 - 30 mos, he's been outside and on his own for quite a while. he has a very rough and thick winter coat, and very tough pads, as well as a number of cat-fight scars. He is VERY affectionate, and now that he trusts us, comes in seeking company, even when he isn't hungry or tired.

though I would not normally want a cat to be an "outdoor" cat - he is already accustomed to the outdoors and the dangers of the neighborhood. It is very nice to be able to HAVE a cat, and NOT have to keep a litter box inside! However he will be somewhat 'domesticated', as I plan on taking him in for shots and fixing as soon as I can work it in, make the arrangements & get a cat carrier from a friend. perhaps he will want to stick a little closer to the house after that.

However, we are, and always will be - "dog people". So we are also looking for another dog. Probably another Golden Retreiver, or possibly, a Chesapeke Bay Retreiver ( As Tristan was a golden/ chessie mix) Tristan was quite a 'social' boy, and he loved to ride along with me in the car, go camping and canoeing with us, and generally be with us on all our doings. He was also very affectionate, he LOVED to snuggle, and he started out each night on Jon's bed, and ended up in mine. No one can ever replace Tristan - he was VERY special and unique - but we have learned that our house is not a 'home' without a dog in it!

Anyway, I'm glad to find another group of 'friends' that I can share ALL my pets with ( including the 30 gallon tank of fish!) and am looking forward to making some new 'pet friends'!

Laura

The photo is from 3 1/2 weeks ago - Jon, Tristan, and Teal'c Teal'c didn't realize until later that, (to his surprise!) he was actually LAYING on Tristan's leg! The look on his face when he figured out he was licking a leg that WASN'T HIS, was priceless!LOL!

GoldenRetrLuver
02-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi to a fellow Golden lover!

I'm so sorry to hear about Tristan. :( What a beautiful Golden boy he was. Good luck with your dog search.. I'd say a Golden is always a a good choice. ;) Teal'c is such a cute kitty.

My name is Julie and I am owned by the two dogs you can see in my signature. Molly is my four year old Sable and White Rough Collie and Daisy is my three year old Golden Retriever. I also have two cockatiels, two cats, a hamster and six desert tortoises.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Glad to have you here. :)

gini
02-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Welcome, welcome to Pet Talk. Boy, are you going to love it here.

First of all, what a nice looking son you have - very handsome.

I am so sorry to hear about Tristan............most of us here understand that heartbreak when you lose them, very well.

Teal'c is a keeper!! Well, see, I have three orange kitties, so I naturally would be all for you adopting Teal'c. Orange kitties are not dumb - warm house - good food - petting when you want on demand - yup I AM STAYING RIGHT HERE FOREVER.

Please post as you look for another dog. We want to know all about it - right down to the day of decision.
Oh, and did I mention pictures? We are all pretty obsessed with pictures.

Again, a warm welcome to you.

aly
02-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk!! What a very loving first post you've made. I think you'll fit right in here :)

I am so sorry for your loss. Tristan sounds like he was an incredibly special dog. I know you'll be forever grateful especially for the extra four months you were able to spend with him. I hope that time will ease the pain and that the good memories will live on forever in your heart.

My name is Alyson, also go by Aly - either works! I am mom to 2 dogs, 2 dogs, and a constant stream of foster dogs and cats.

I can't wait to read more about Teal'c and about your possible new canine addition!

Logan
02-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Oh Laura, I'm so glad to see you here!!!! :) This is "home" to me, although you and I know each other from the other boards. You will love it here.

Logan

fritz03
02-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk.Hope you enjoy your time here.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-15-2005, 06:11 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk Laura. I'm so sorry about Tristan. Teal'C is beautiful. I love the picture, what a great shot.

I am Kari, I have 5 dogs- Bitsy a pomeranian, Nacey a pug, Nova a dachshund/chihuahua mix, Charlie a miniature pinscher, and Buster a chihuahua.
I always considered myself a dog person, but watch out cats can steal your heart too. My husband who was more of a cat person when we got married now has me obsessed with cats (he's now obsessed with dogs too). We have 7 cats and I will never be without a kitty in my house. :D :rolleyes:

Cookiebaker
02-15-2005, 06:30 AM
Welcome to Pettalk!!! What a great picture of your son, Tristan and Teal'C!

I am so sorry for your loss of Tristan. What a good buddy he was!

Good Luck in your search for another dog, please let us know when you find the perfect one! I can't wait to hear about it.

Oh, and my name is Anna, and we live with Malone (yellow lab X); Emerson (black lab); and Marigold (the kitty cat).

Sevens
02-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Welcome to the Pet Talk.

My name is Stephanie and I just lost one of my dogs as well. Her name was Bailey and she was a 2 and 1/2 year old pit bull/lab mix. She passed away on 2/2/05. Her death was quite unexpected. I am glad you had that extra time to spend with Tristan. He sounds like he was a wonderful part of your family.

We are also thinking about looking for another dog, probably another pit bull mix, as we grew to love the bravery, loyalty, and clownish sweetness of these dogs.

We also have another dog named Guinness. He is a sweet calm Chow/Sheperd mix. He is both a lovebug and protector. Such a joy to have with us, it makes things not quite so awful that Bailey is not with us anymore.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing all about your future addition and your beautiful kitty Teal'c. Ok, but I have to ask...Teal'c? Was he named after the character on Stargate SG-1? (Actually, my favorite character on that show).

Hugs:) ,

Stephanie

ramanth
02-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk Laura!

I'm so sorry about Tristen. :( He sounds like he was a great dog and he was gorgeous too.

Thanks for saving Teal'c. You can tell he appreciates it! Can't wait to see more pictures from you. :)

I'm owned by a dog, 2 cats, and a gecko. :D

lute
02-15-2005, 09:04 AM
WELCOME TO PETTALK!!!:D

KYS
02-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk.
I am very sorry to hear about Tristan.

PJ's Mom
02-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Welcome, Laura. :)

MariaM
02-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk! I am very sorry about Tristan...sounds like he was a wonderful dog. I'm sure he had a very happy life with the time he spent with you. The picture you attached is really nice...everyone looks so comfy, just what a couch should look like. :) A kid...a dog...a cat...a remote, and a Harry Potter blanket. :D

I'm Maria and owned by a yellow lab/golden retriever, Major. He recently turned a year old. You can see him in my signature. :)

LauraT7
02-15-2005, 11:15 AM
thanks for the warm welcome!

Actually, Logan, it was your post about Roger and Milly's movie that brought me here - though I have heard of this site before! - so THANK YOU!

And Stephanie - yes, Teal'c WAS named for Teal'c in Stargate - he has that same inscrutable expression that Teal'c on the show has...

We are big Sci- fi fans, and the only night we are hooked on TV is the Friday night sci-fi lineup on the sci-fi channel. Jon and I also love to read - and science fiction and fantasy are our favorites - as someone noticed the Harry Potter quilt ( which my sister made for Jon) we are BIG Harry Potter fans and are anxiously awaiting the next book.

Since we are now a 'multi- pet' family, I think this board is going to be fun. I've seen many, many photos of so many very loved cats, dogs and pets here - I feel very much 'at home' already. It has the 'feeling' of my golden boards - but with the addition of different breeds and pets.

since someone asked for photos - you can photo- overload yourselves by visiting the website I set up for Tristan while we were fighting his cancer - mostly, it's a place that I could post the many photos to share with all of our 'Golden Angels' who helped me though his illness. here's a link to the photo album page-

http://groups.msn.com/TristansPlace/shoebox.msnw

I'm slow with names, but I never forget a doggies face! so I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Laura, Jon & Teal'c

Photo - Teal'c trying to convince Jon to 'share' his glass of milk!

gini
02-15-2005, 11:32 AM
What a GREAT PICTURE of Jon and Teal'c...........doesn't get any cuter than that!!

Rachel
02-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by gini
Please post as you look for another dog. We want to know all about it - right down to the day of decision.
Oh, and did I mention pictures? We are all pretty obsessed with pictures.

Gini spoke for me as well. It is such an exciting and in a way anxiety producing journey when one searches for a new dog, perhaps even more so when your last dog was such a match to your family. We want to be involved in the whole process. No detail of thoughts or actions is to small to share.

Welcome to Pet Talk, Laura. I'm Rachel and have been owned by a number of dogs during my life. Right now I am at the beck and call of Hannah, a 9 year old cockapoo and Tucker, a 8 year old cocker spaniel. Tucker was adopted as an adult so we're not real sure of his age.

I am so sorry for your loss of Tristan. You certainly loved him dearly and fought so hard for him to regain his health. Your picture albums show what a wonderful life you and he had together.

Your signature quote reflects my feelings as well.

EssTer
02-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi ;)
Welcome to PT ;)
My name´s Liga (pronounced as Lee-gah) and I´m 16 years old girl, who is planning to get a Siberian Husky :D lol...
I hope you will enjoy your time being here ;) there are lots of nice people here ;)
Welcome again ;)

Tina
02-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk!

dukedogsmom
02-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Your writing about Tristan brought tears to me. I know how special dogs are and I surely understand you want another one. Your kitty reminds me of mine. I just adopted him from another PT member back in November. I also have a very much loved German Shepherd/Chow named Duke and an Arabian named Flair. Welcome! I know you'll love it here as much as I do. When the time is right, we'll look forward to seeing your next new furry family member.
Here's Duke
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/bluepawsig.jpg

LuvGold00
02-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk, sorry this is kinda late! ;)

tatsxxx11
02-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk, Laura and Teal'c! My dear friend Logan let me know you haD joined the group!:) I thInk you'll love it here.

My heartfelt condolences on the passing of your beautiful boy Tristan:( What a precious, very special pup he was and I know, those three years you shared with him brought you a wealth of love and happy memories. And how blessed he was to have been a part of your loving family. If only they could be with us forever:( I'm glad that Teal'c found his way into your life at a time when you needed him most. And what a sweet bond of friendship Tristan and Teal'c formed in such a short time. I have a feeling he brought great comfort to Tristan during his illness:) I wish you all the best as you look to welcome another deserving doggie into your heart. It will be a lucky doggie indeed that "comes home" to you, Jon and Teal'c!:)

My name is Sandra and you can meet by furkids below! I look forward to getting to know you and your family!:) WELCOME!

sammy101
02-15-2005, 04:34 PM
Welcome!!I love the last picture you posted of Jon and Teal'c:D Both very good looking!!:D and im sorry about Tristan.

My name is Samantha(sam,or sammy for short)Im 14 years old,and im owned by 3 furbabies

Kodie is 18 months old,Lab/Bloodhound/Rotti mix
Our newest addition Lucy,is 4 months old,she's a Lab/Springer Spaniel or Golden mix.
and Bear's my cat,she'll be 20 soon:)

Heres Kodie and Lucy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/canadiansam5127/kodie%20n%20lucy/Photo-shoot002.jpg

schteve_d
02-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk. I am fairly new here myself and have found everyone very accepting, friendly, and most of all helpful!

RobiLee
02-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Hi there, Laura!! A great big welcome to Pet Talk! My name is Robin and those are my two girls in my siggy. I think you are going to love it here and I look forward to reading many more posts from you. You have a great way of writing and I have enjoyed reading your posts so far.

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Tristan. I know how hard it can be. I hope you find some comfort here. I also hope you will share your journey in finding another doggie. I would so love to hear about it. Your son and kitty are so cute. Those are a couple of great pictures that you posted. I love the pics so I hope we get to see more from you.

Welcome Laura!

Robin :)

senorita02
02-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Welcome to Pet talk, im so sorry to hear of the loss of Tristan, :(
But im glad you found joy with Teal'c :)

trayi52
02-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi Laura, Welcome to Pet Talk. I am very sorry to hear of your loss, but happy to hear you found Teal'c to love and take care of.

You have a very handsome son. I hope you enjoy it here at Pet Talk, it is a great place to be, I love it here!

Again Welcome!!

Willie:)

luvofallhorses
02-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Welcome to Pet talk :)

ramanth
02-16-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm a Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Harry Potter fan too! My fiance and I met at a local Comic Con. :D

Originally posted by LauraT7
Photo - Teal'c trying to convince Jon to 'share' his glass of milk!
LOL!! I don't think he's trying to convince Jon.... I think he's taking it! :D

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk!! I'm sorry to hear about your dog, but glad you've got another one and a cat!! (also, did you name your cat after Teal'c after what's the sci-fi show...oh gosh, I forget!;)) Hope you like it here! Also, my name is Katie, and Blaze is my Border collie!!;)

Chica
02-16-2005, 05:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/3d_hi.gif

YOUR ARE GOING TO LOVE PT.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/Wooden_welcome.gif

TO PET TALK! ;)

animal_rescue
02-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Welcome to PT!:D