PDA

View Full Version : Question on Neutering

aki
02-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Chuck was fixed a long time ago by a vet in a city that we used to live in. Richard mentioned something in Christa's thread on Brody about him being *snipped* and no wonder he was crying in the car. Being silly of course! LOL

But it got me to thinking, Chuck still has all his *equipment*. Do some vets do this differently or is it possible that I paid for a service he didn't get. When he had it done, he was groggy coming out of anesthesia and everything. Of course I didn't inspect because I didn't want to hurt him after surgery or anything, but I don't even remember him being shaved. Geeze this was almost 11 years ago! I just thought it was the way the vet did it.

Now I am really wondering.

:confused:

christa
02-14-2005, 11:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that in most cases, you can't really tell that they've been "snipped" . . . but I have heard of cats having to have their "stuff" completely removed . . . not sure the reasoning, but I'm sure someone here can explain it more in detail.

I'd say that Chuck was fixed properly.

Laura's Babies
02-14-2005, 11:10 PM
I have had mine done before they matured to the age of having something big enough to see as they walk away so Chester has nothing back there, no sacks.. But I saw some at the shelter that had "sacks" but they were empty after fixing... If he hasn't been wanting to go Tom catting, he has been fixed. Believe me, if he wanted to go Tom catting, he would wake up the whole house!!

christa
02-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
Believe me, if he wanted to go Tom catting, he would wake up the whole house!!

LOLOLOL
:D :D :D

Guess that's the best way to tell!

catmandu
02-15-2005, 05:49 AM
And,if he hasnt,been spraying,all ovet the house,PU,that,is a pretty good hint,that he was neutered,as once they spray,you know,it in a hurry.PU!!

QueenScoopalot
02-15-2005, 07:17 AM
I've never heard of the whole package being removed! If Chuck was a full grown adult when his Batonga-Wongas were snipped, they had plenty of time to stretch, and look larger than if he were very young. ;) A believe me....you'd know by the litterbox odor if it hadn't been done right! :eek: And as Gary said...there'd be that territiorial spraying all over the house. PU is right! :rolleyes:

aki
02-15-2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys! He has never sprayed once and never been in a tizzy to get outside even when we have heard other cats outside. I was just wondering, Richard got me thinking! LMAO

RICHARD
02-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Package, sack, stuff, equipment, snipped.

No wonder men are misunderstood.

;)

wolflady
02-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Package, sack, stuff, equipment, snipped.

No wonder men are misunderstood.

;)
LOL LOL

As far as neutering, there are 2 ways to do it. At my hospital, we remove everything.
Some hospitals simply snip "the lines" but leave the cotton balls in their sacks :rolleyes: LOL
In those cases, they usually shrink over time, but all of my boys have empty sacks :eek: LOL LOL

Does that make sense?

aki
02-15-2005, 12:50 PM
LOL I guess I never noticed if they were empty or not! He's super hairy everywhere. And not that I try to look or inspect or anything! Poor kitty. He would certainly be blushing if he knew I was discussing his *nuggets* online!
:D

catnapper
02-15-2005, 12:50 PM
LOL.. Allen was quite endowed when we got him snipped... and he still has a generous looking package left over. Nothing compared to what he had going in. Pouncer has a few little berries left, and now Harry does too.

RICHARD
02-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Berries, nuggets and cotton balls.

:rolleyes:

To quote one of the greatest comedians of all time.

(I) don't get no respect!;)

Barbara
02-15-2005, 01:15 PM
QSL had a super technical term for the cotton balls. A pity I forgot.

Sorry about early Alzheimer.

Don Juan's mom
02-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Don Juan was (ahem) "re-educated" at 18 months, but he STILL yells to go outside... even today when it's raining cats and dogs. :rolleyes:

He has "nuggets," but they're small. :D

Liz

RICHARD
02-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Delete this thread.

I can't work with my legs crossed.:rolleyes: :eek: :confused: ;)

NoahsMommy
02-15-2005, 08:11 PM
I agree with Karen, there are two ways they do the surgery.

Micah, because he was fixed at 4 1/2 (and was a breeder cat) still has little cotton balls, the rest are gone or have shrunken.

:)

sirrahbed
02-15-2005, 09:41 PM
I can't stand it!! OK here I go...<put on hat>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/smilies/NURSE.jpg

Male cats have testicles in their scrotum (cotton balls in their sacks)

Small male cats have very small testicles and the scrotum is barely noticeable. Naturally, a more mature male has larger testicles and a larger scrotum.

When male cats have their neutering surgery, the scrotum is opened and the testicles are removed, but the size of the scrotum remaining depends on the age and maturity of the cat. Also- like Wolflady said, sometimes they simply snip the cord and blood supply and leave the testicles to shrink.

Back about 20 years ago - I remember the surgery being very barbaric. They did not open the sac and remove the testicles, they just sliced everything off and cauterized the area:( The poor kitties would be a bloody mess for a few days. Now, the make a small incsion and most of the time - they close it with surgical glue (superglue essentially) so no need for even stitches! Kitty comes home looking little different than before!

<taking off cap>:D :p :o ;)

RICHARD
02-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Also- like Wolflady said, sometimes they simply snip the cord and blood supply and leave the testicles to shrink.

Lose a fight to woman in public, the same thing happens.:confused: :rolleyes: :eek: :p ;)

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Many of you have heard these stories before...but I once assisted my brother, who is a vet in the neutering of a male dog....and once he neutered my mother's cat on the kitchen table...while I was trying to eat my breakfast (you KNOW how obnoxious brother's can be....:rolleyes: )

It is a very simple procedure......oh RICHARD!!!! :D

sirrahved
02-16-2005, 07:57 PM
*ROFLMBO*
http://www.shackrats-hideout.com/forums/images/smilies/xxrotflmao.gif

I was wondering if mom would post to this... she hates pet terms for genitalia!

sirrahbed
02-17-2005, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Lose a fight to woman in public, the same thing happens.:confused: :rolleyes: :eek: :p ;)

Oh Richard! Has some woman been mean to you? Just don't fight with them - give in like a good fella:D And please tell me you don't have names your your own...uhm....:rolleyes:

Devon: you are right - I could not resist. Cotton balls, bits, nuggets, berries, sacks, equipment???:D :D

RICHARD
02-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
And please tell me you don't have names your your own...uhm....:rolleyes:

No, no fancy names,
They wouldn't answer anyway....;) :D :eek: :confused: :)