PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Pet Safety

Dixieland Dancer
10-10-2001, 12:50 PM
Do you do anything special to keep your pet safe during the Halloween season?

We have an all black cat named Marty who is 2. Marty loves to explore in our yard and the field beside our house. He never leaves the general area and has never gone near the road. But last Halloween I put him in a bedroom during Trick or Treat hours just to be safe. This year I am more fearful for him and plan to keep him in the house until after the first week of November. This is going to upset him since he loves going out but I've heard the torture stories of black cat's at Halloween. I'm probably being a little fanatical but "Better safe than sorry"!

Dixie and Dusty should be okay since they never go out without someone with them. I have dressed Dixie up and this year Dusty will be dressed too, and take them around to the neighbors. They usually have dog biscuits for the dogs! I will be putting blinking safety lights on their collars!

purrley
10-10-2001, 01:02 PM
Dixie - I've heard the same thing about black cats - keep them safe inside - there's some real uglies out there. My babies will most certainly be under the bed the whole evening, that's where they go when the door bell rings anyway :D

Cynthia
10-10-2001, 01:30 PM
Ditto for my guys, both tuxes. They're indoor cats anyway and they usually run upstairs when someone's at the door. It's unfortunate that a formerly festive occasion has turned into one we also have to worry about! :confused:

kobieeli
10-10-2001, 02:23 PM
The main thing I worry about is the dogs getting hold of chocolate candy. Even a little bit can be toxic enough to require quick vet attention. The bowl of goodies for the kids who come to the door we keep up high and out of the reach of K & E. Still, where there's a will, there's a way! :eek: