PDA

View Full Version : Anyone belong to a health club?

My Peanuts
02-14-2005, 05:05 PM
My mom is a diabetic and I want to get in shape, so I thought it would be good for us to join a health club. The hospital near our house has a fitness center and it has a lot of equipment and a pool. It also offers aqua, spinning and other classes. All the classes are included in the price. The price to sign up in February is $100 and then $54 per month. Is this a good deal? Just thought I'd ask you guys. You all always seem to give me really good advice :D

wolflady
02-14-2005, 05:18 PM
I also joined a gym because I was starting to feel really gross and lethargic. I would come to work and just sit at my desk and work, work, work. I wouldn't even take my lunch hour. Now, I make it a point to get up from my chair and leave the building during lunch hour and I'm feeling a lot better than I was before. I just go to the gym and work out for about 45 minutes and come back feeling so refreshed.

I think the cost of gyms vary depending on where you live. I definitely think gyms like 24 hour fitness are way overrated and overpriced and over crowded! :o I tend to like the smaller gyms, but even they can be expensive. Right now I'm paying $45/month and I thought that was a lot! :o Of course I was able to waive the $100 enrollment fee because I negotiated them down since I signed up for a year membership.

My recommendation would be to see what sort of discounts they will give. Are they a daily, weekly, monthly gym? Or are they a 6 month or 1 year type of gym. Usually the more months you sign up for, the better the discount. My gym charged $100 for enrollment and $55/month. Since I signed for a year, I was able to have them waive the enrollment and drop the monthly fee.

In any case, joining a club will be good for you...whatever the cost ;)
**hugs**

sammy101
02-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Im with the YMCA!:D I love it.Right now were paying $65 a month,for a family rate.But im not sure how much it is for one person.
For classes,like Pilates,Yoga,etc.most the time you have to pay for it.but everything else is included in this price,showers,lockerroom,gyms,pools,etc.
That place sounds like a REALLY good deal to me!!:D

-Edit-
You'll have much better sleeps too;) :p

Twisterdog
02-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
I definitely think gyms like 24 hour fitness are way overrated and overpriced and over crowded! :o

I disagree with this. I joined a 24 hour gym in November. There is probably two to three hours per day when I would call it crowded, and even then I have never had to wait for a machine. The rest of the time, it is not crowded at all.

I paid $600 for a 20 month membership ... so $30 per month.

One thing I REALLY like about a private gym like this, as opposed to our city recreation centers, is that everyone who joins must be over 18 years old. It is SO nice to just go work out with other adults who are serious about it, and not have to deal with teenage social hour.

joycenalex
02-15-2005, 07:35 AM
i'm a member of curves, it costs me 29.99 plus state tax, it was a free sign up and the committment is one year, auto withdrawl from my checking on the 15th. it's been worth it for me.

Rie Rie
02-15-2005, 07:58 AM
My husband and son have been going for about a year now and I decided I would like to try it. It is $45.00 a month for them and they added me for another $10.00. I think it's a pretty good deal for three people and you can bring a guest for $5.00 a visit.

micki76
02-15-2005, 08:39 AM
I work out at home, in the privacy of my own living room. :)

Cataholic
02-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by sammy101
Im with the YMCA!:D I love it.Right now were paying $65 a month,for a family rate.But im not sure how much it is for one person.
For classes,like Pilates,Yoga,etc.most the time you have to pay for it.but everything else is included in this price,showers,lockerroom,gyms,pools,etc.
That place sounds like a REALLY good deal to me!!:D

-Edit-
You'll have much better sleeps too;) :p

Really? Our YMCAs don't charge extra for classes..that was one of the things I liked about it. AND I like the 'Christian' atmosphere..very family focused.

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by micki76
I work out at home, in the privacy of my own living room. :)

me too :D