PDA

View Full Version : Cancel the hockey season???

shutterbug0303
02-14-2005, 01:34 PM
I didn't know an entire season of hockey could be canceled?!?! Not that I am the biggest hockey fan (actually I haven't watched a game since I lived in PA about 8 years ago)....but....!?!?!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-nhllockout&prov=ap&type=lgns

:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Samantha Puppy
02-14-2005, 01:37 PM
The commissioner can do whatever he wants.... If the players and the owners can't reach an agreement, I don't see what other option there is.

christa
02-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Yep . . . it was a big disappointment. We're big hockey fans and the whole season being cancled was just wierd!

Shelteez2
02-14-2005, 02:51 PM
The funny part is I had already just assumed the season was cancelled anyways.

Ah well, hopefully there will be a 2005/2006 season...

lovemyshiba
02-14-2005, 03:35 PM
I only realized a couple weeks ago that hockey wasn't on.

A survery I saw in USA Today said that of the people they polled, a very high percentage didn't even care if hockey was played this year.

RICHARD
02-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Buh Bye!!!!

No hockey for you!

But I get hockey here in Cah lee fuh nee ah!!!

This weekend teams from Mexico and Israel are playing a few exhibition games up the street from my house.

An amazing story.

There is one ice skating rink in Israel and four in Mexico.
The rink in Israel was built to get the kids interested in the sport.
The four Mexican rinks are all in the Mexico City area with more on the way.

There are plans to build more rinks in both countries.

---------------------------

They are playing four games and the two by my house are open to the public and admission is a donation to the teams!!!
:D

Logan
02-16-2005, 03:55 PM
At least the minor league players are still playing. I hate Hockey so it doesn't matter to me, but I like it that our local team has such a following, this far down south. I don't like it because it is so violent. The last time we went, there were huge fights, over and over. I wouldn't choose to watch WWF on purpose and I certainly didn't want our Boy Scout Troup to see that kind of behavior! :eek: And that's why we were there!

wolflady
02-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Hockey was the one professional sport that I actually watched. I'm fed up with pro sports in general because these people make so much money, that the whole meaning behind playing the sport is lost. These people don't play for the love of the game anymore...they play for the millions upon millions of dollars that they make :rolleyes:

And when that 45+ million just isn't enough...why not go on strike??!! :eek: :rolleyes:
*sigh*

RICHARD
02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by wolflady

And when that 45+ million just isn't enough...why not go on strike??!! :eek: :rolleyes:
*sigh*

The 45 mil refers to a salary cap.

Each team has to keep the total player salary under 45 million or face sanctions from the league.

Example,
If you have 3 players that earn 11 million a year, the other 17 players (I think it's 20 on a roster) have to split the 12 million that's left over.

It's to try and keep player salaries from getting to the Alex Rodiguez (10 years/150 million dollar) stage.

Also the owners were not letting the league/player union have copies of the revenue statements. The owners don't share revenue with the players.

The owners locked out the players because they didn't want
to accept the cap. If they do not agree to something by training camp in the summer you are gonna see alot of minor league/independent leagues playing next year.