PDA

View Full Version : The Compassion of Animals

Daisy's Mom
06-27-2001, 09:56 PM
Hi everyone! As some of you may know, I am on vacation right now in New Hampshire, and I beleive that vacation is not vacation unless I have a great book with me to take to the beach. Well I am reading a wonderful book right now that I know many of you would love. It's called 'The Compassion of Animals' by Kristin von Kreisler. It is a collection of stories that prove that animals do indeed feel emotions such as love, compassion, and concern. The stories are just amazing! There was one about an iguana who always slept next to his master's bed on a stand. The man had severe apnea. One night, the iguana refused to get off the man's chest. He thought it was strange but just let him stay on him. That night, he stopped breathing in his sleep, and was awoken by his iguana slapping him with his tail in the face! He made such a racket that he woke up his master's wife and she was able to help him.

Other stories include some about a pig who alerts a family to a carbon monoxide danger, a gorilla who takes care of a young boy that fell into her enclosure at a zoo, a cow that saves her master from a charging wild boar, and a German Shephard who stays by his master's side in the woods where she fell from her horse and shattered her leg, and chases coyotes away from her for a whole night.

I would highly recommend reading this book! The stories are so inspiring and they really make you thankful to have such wonderful animals in the world.

Freckles
06-27-2001, 10:17 PM
Yes, I agree. PetTalk recently had a topic called Good Books - just can't remember where it was. That's where I commented on this book. Several of the stories have been shown on PAX, Miracle Pets. I have another of her books, "beauty in the beasts" which I'm going to start reading, If I ever get the Pet talk table working properly.

jackiesdaisy1935
06-28-2001, 02:28 PM
Bridget and Freckles, that book sounds wonderful, I am going to look for it, and get a box of kleenex at the same time. :)

I just looked on e-bay and they had one copy and I bought it now, looking forward to reading it!

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: jackiesdaisy1935 ]

thelmalu99
06-28-2001, 02:51 PM
I'm right behind you, Jackie's Daisy! My first stop after work will be Barnes & Noble. I'll get a copy for my mom, too.

Daisy's Mom, thanks for thinking of us and enjoy your vacation! :)

4 feline house
06-28-2001, 09:46 PM
I love that show "Miracle Pets" that comes on Pax TV. It has the same type of stories - for instance, a Vietnamese pot-bellied pig rescued his mom after she fell unconscious in her home. He knew something was wrong, and kept going in and out the dog door for help. He was too big for the dog door, though, and each time he went through he scraped his back up pretty badly. But he kept going in and out anyway. Finally a workman drove up in the street, and the pig jumped up on his truck to get his attention. The man could tell the pig was agitated, so he followed him and discovered the ill woman and called 911. I watch it fairly often, but this is the only story I can remember off the top of my head.

Freckles
06-29-2001, 10:04 AM
And that story is in the book, too.

Daisy's Mom
06-30-2001, 10:25 PM
Tell me how you like it, Jackie and ThelmaLu! I'm lovin' it :)

4 feline house
06-30-2001, 10:37 PM
Freckles - I guess you think I'm a real dodo! I somehow missed your post the first time around where you mentioned the book had alot of the same stories as "Miracle Pets"! :o

TheAntiPam
07-01-2001, 01:09 AM
Don't worry, 4-Feline, I like to think of it this way. If I'm a REAL dodo, think of all the money I'll make. After all, we are supposed to be extinct! :D

Freckles
07-01-2001, 08:22 AM
The stories Daisy's Mom mentioned in her first post weren't on Miracle Pets. The book has a chapter about "The Ultimate Sacrifice". Miracle Pets usually doesn't include that kind of story, either.

Daisy's Mom
07-04-2001, 01:16 AM
Well I finished it today at the beach... it was so good! Some of those stories are just incredible! "Wow" is all I can say :) I hope those of you who read it enjoy!

Corinna
07-04-2001, 01:22 PM
I never cease to be amazed how we all have such in tuned to each other. Sat. I got the book and couldn't put it down started at 9 pm and finished at 3:30 am had to go to work at 8 . I wasn't much of a talker that day. I heard the author interviewed on the Art bell show. Can't wait to get my hands on the new one she has out.

Daisy's Mom
07-04-2001, 11:50 PM
Wasn't it great?? I am glad you liked it! What is the new book's title? I want it! :)

Corinna
07-05-2001, 10:57 AM
I can't remember the whole title but The compassion of animails ...... It cam out in May. I guess the ususal book sellers should have it. I have to wait to get to a larger town to get it.

thelmalu99
07-05-2001, 11:39 AM
Hi,
Her new book is called "Beauty in the Beasts", I picked it up the other day, because the bookstore was sold out of "The Compassion of Animals." It is a very good book, but it's not just stories. She explains her theory that animals actually choose to show compassion, bravery and a number of other qualities that are considered to be only human. She then gives examples of animals that have done incredible things to help humans as well as other animals. It is a very well-written and fascinating book, I'm really enjoying it.