PDA

View Full Version : The 2005 Yukon Quest...

Glacier
02-14-2005, 01:25 AM
The Yukon Quest started today. For those who don't know, it's similar to the Iditarod, but considered harder. It's a bit longer and there are fewer checkpoints. The mushers must be a little more self-sufficient. They can accept no help from anyone in caring for their dogs or themselves, unless it's a life threatening situation. Only in Dawson City, the half-way point, can the handlers help out with dog care. If a musher accepts assistance, they are disqualified. The I-rod calls itself "the last great race"...The Quest is the "toughest sled dog race in the world!" This year it start in Whitehorse so we went into town to watch. Next year it will start in Fairbanks, AK.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/quest/staging.jpg
This is the staging area, where all the mushers get ready to go!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/quest/johns_truck.jpg
This is John Schandelmeir's truck. He's my favorite musher. His entire team is made up of dogs he pulled from a high kill shelter in Fairbanks, Alaska. He's also a very nice man. He had no security around his truck and was very open to meeting and talking to his fans for as long as he could.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/quest/johnsch.jpg
This is John's team leader. The brown lead dog used to be as timid as my Pacer was--cowered in her house and afraid of everything. Doesn't she look happy now!?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/quest/blake.jpg
This is Blake Freking's team, the only team of purebred Siberian Huskies in the race this year.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/quest/gerryw.jpg
I used to buy dog food off this guy--Everyone calls him Chicken Gerry!

The last few are just of happy, excited dogs leaving the start line!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/quest/pinard.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/quest/sebastian.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/quest/ledwidge.jpg

The leaders are expected to make the 100 miles to the first check point by mid-morning Monday.

anna_66
02-14-2005, 07:46 AM
What awesome pictures Glacier, I bet it was so exciting being there. Makes me excited just looking at your pictures!
How lucky that you were able to be there! I'm envious of you:p :D

RobiLee
02-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Glacier,

I'm so glad you posted these. I absolutely love them!!! Wonderful pictures. I swear all of those dogs look so HAPPY! I would have loved to have been there to watch them start and maybe even get to meet your favorite musher. He sounds very nice and I am rooting for him! I hope that maybe you can update up once in awhile on the happenings of the race.

Go Sled doggies, Go!!!!!

Robin :)

NoahsMommy
02-14-2005, 11:36 AM
How neat!!

How long will this Quest be? Do they stop at night for sleep?

ramanth
02-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Great pictures! :D How exciting to be there. :)

Queen of Poop
02-14-2005, 01:19 PM
What awesome photos. How exciting it would have been to be right there!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Glacier
02-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
How neat!!

How long will this Quest be? Do they stop at night for sleep?

The Quest is just over 1000 miles. The winner will be in Fairbanks in about 10 days. They stop whenever they can, but not neccessarily at night. Many mushers run with a schedule, often run for 4 hours, rest for 4. There is a mandatory 36 hour stop in Dawson City and vets at every check point. The dogs get better care than the mushers! There are always vets available, but not always a physician!

Samantha Puppy
02-14-2005, 02:43 PM
I always felt so sorry for dogs in the Iditarod and other races like that... but these dogs actually look happy. Are they? I don't know much about the sport at all, but I always hated being made to run so much I always felt like animals (like dogs and horses) felt the same way and so I felt sorry for them..

lv4dogs
02-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
I always felt so sorry for dogs in the Iditarod and other races like that... but these dogs actually look happy. Are they? I don't know much about the sport at all, but I always hated being made to run so much I always felt like animals (like dogs and horses) felt the same way and so I felt sorry for them..

I witnessed the iditirod once & boy oh boy are these dogs happy is an understatement. As soon as you pick up a harness they go HAYWIRE! They love it. Husky's will run non stop if you let them LOL

Glacier
02-14-2005, 03:29 PM

I believe they are happy. You should see the chaos when the harnesses come out--dogs jumping, yelping, completely excited to go. This is what Huskies were bred to do and what they do best. There is no way to force a dog to run. A dog who doesn't want to pull simply won't. A dog that is afraid of it's driver won't pull. Sled dogs, particularly those who are in these types of races have to be well cared for. A dog who isn't in top shape won't be able to do these kinds of races and the team won't get very far.

I believe that most sled dogs are happy, healthy dogs. While they aren't treated like pets, they get the best food, warm houses, regular contact with their humans, lots of attention and tons of exercise. I know many pet dogs who would give anything for that kind of life!

Iilo
02-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Glacier,
Have you read any Sue Henry books? I don't know how accurate they are, but I love them all. There's one that's specifically about the Yukon Quest, I think. And then there's a novel by a different author (J-something? I can't remember) on the Yukon Quest. Or maybe that one wasn't fiction. I have an awful memory. Either way, both were wonderful reads.
I play around with sledding with the help of some awesome local mushers. Rien loves being in harness. We don't have near enough snow right now to do much of anything though.

Loved the pictures, everyone looks to be enjoying themselves.

Samantha Puppy
02-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
I believe that most sled dogs are happy, healthy dogs. While they aren't treated like pets, they get the best food, warm houses, regular contact with their humans, lots of attention and tons of exercise. I know many pet dogs who would give anything for that kind of life! Cool, thanks for the reply. :) I'm just curious - how are they not treated like 'pets'? And how come?

cyber-sibes
02-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures!!! How exciting!!!
All the dogs look so happy - and that team of sibes is gorgeous!
That's heartwarming to hear about your favorite musher rescuing all those dogs - they probably think they've died...and gone to heaven!

Adopt_One
02-14-2005, 06:01 PM
I hope the guy with all the rescues wins. ;) What a great guy to save those dogs! Awesome pictures too!

MariaM
02-14-2005, 06:07 PM
That looks so neat! How many teams are entering?

Glacier
02-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
That looks so neat! How many teams are entering?

There are 21 teams this year. There were more but a couple mushers dropped out before the start.

LabradorLover
02-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Great pictures :)

I also always wondered if it was fair to the dogs, It must be so cold for them, but they look happy running.

I've always wondered why most groups do not use purebred Huskies?? What are most of the dogs mixed with?

Glacier
02-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Cool, thanks for the reply. :) I'm just curious - how are they not treated like 'pets'? And how come?

Most sled dogs aren't like mine. Mine are spoiled pets who work a couple times a week. Most serious mushers have way more dogs than I do. The dogs are kept outside, usually on chains, with their own houses, close enough that they can play and interact with their neighbor dog, but far enough apart that they can't fight or breed. (mushers aren't great about spay and neutering! but that's another post!) The dogs aren't allowed inside, they don't sleep on the couch--all that stuff that many pet dogs get to do. Some mushers let their favorites inside or move their retired dogs to the house.

I have a friend who does "dog of the day"--every day one of his dogs gets to be in the house with him, goes for truck rides and gets free roam of the yard, treats ect.

Glacier
02-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by LabradorLover
Great pictures :)

I also always wondered if it was fair to the dogs, It must be so cold for them, but they look happy running.

I've always wondered why most groups do not use purebred Huskies?? What are most of the dogs mixed with?

RIght now the trend is to mixing them with German Short-haired pointers, Coonhounds or Eurohounds. Border collie mixes are also pretty common. Most Alaskan Huskies are so mixed now it's hard to tell what breeds are mixed in. An Alaskan Husky can be any breed combination that was intentionally bred to pull a sled.

There's a couple reasons that most mushers don't use purebreds....the mixes are faster usually. Most mushers want to keep enough husky in their dogs that the coat, ear protection, feet and drive to pull are maintained. But they mix in faster racing breeds to increase speeds. The Siberian was bred to pull a long distance at moderate speed--not at a sprint pace. As well, I've been told that mushers try to bred the Husky stubborn streak out. Additionally, unfortunately, breeders have in many ways ruined the Siberian Husky. The average show dog these days couldn't do the job Huskies are meant to do!

cali
02-14-2005, 08:32 PM
lol they all look so happy! I never understood why people think the dogs are forced to run, its what they were bred to do, saying huskys are forced to pull is in my mind is like saying border collies hate to herd and they they hate their lives because most strictly working BCs are kept in kennel outside in in a barn, not in the house. lol but all one has to do is watch a dog doing what it was bred to do to know that they are hardly unhappy lol

Vette
02-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah thats what i was going to say. 'they look happy!"
and they do! i see big grins on their faces,, and the ones that dont look like they are concentrating on their work. all of them have excellent looking coats and bright spirited eyes:D

great pack of poochies!