PDA

View Full Version : My Dishwasher Stinks! Please Help!

christa
02-13-2005, 09:10 PM
My dishwasher smells like ONIONS! It's a really really strong onion smell.

I put a bowl in there that had some onions in it . . . a GLASS bowl . . . and a few hours later, the whole dishwasher smelled horrible!

Anyway, I've run baking soda through it and I've run it with soap and it still stinks.

Any suggestions???

AbbyMom
02-13-2005, 09:13 PM
For onions, I'd try lemon juice.... Good luck.

christa
02-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by AbbyMom
For onions, I'd try lemon juice.... Good luck.

Run it through a cycle with lemon juice?

Aspen and Misty
02-13-2005, 09:29 PM
I would take everything apart, there are probly still pieces of Onion somewhere in it. When we pulled my dishwasher apart it was disguisting!

Ashley

christa
02-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
I would take everything apart, there are probly still pieces of Onion somewhere in it. When we pulled my dishwasher apart it was disguisting!

Ashley

I didn't actually put the onions in the dishwasher . . . the onions were in the bowl, in the fridge . . . I dumped them out . . . even rinsed out the bowl and then put it in the dishwasher.

They were just some really strong onions!!!

Uabassoon
02-13-2005, 09:35 PM
I also suggest lemon juice, I've never tried it in a dishwasher but I use it in the garbage disposal when it gets smelly and it seems to get rid of the smell.

Twisterdog
02-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Run some vinegar through the dishwasher. Not only will it eliminate the smell, it will remove any hard water deposits you may have in there.

sirrahbed
02-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Run some vinegar through the dishwasher. Not only will it eliminate the smell, it will remove any hard water deposits you may have in there.

That was my thinking, too
Hugs, Heloise;)

Sirrahsim
02-14-2005, 02:47 AM
my dishwasher is a government issue, older-than-dirt model and vinegar REALLY makes a big difference in keeping the smell and redeposits to a minimum. Just pour a few cups into the bottom of the *empty* dishwaser, start it up, and let it be:)

Barbara
02-14-2005, 05:26 AM
There exist some dishwasher cleaners (usually in the same shelf like all the other dishwasher stuff) that should be used every some months (ok I use them maybe every half year). They should help too.

christa
02-14-2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks everyone!

I'm gonna try the vinegar today and if that doesn't work, make a trip to the store for some dishwasher cleaner.

wolfsoul
02-14-2005, 03:47 PM
I washed a bowl that had an onion in it. It wreaked so bad, and made every single dish smell like onions. I ended up putting all of the dishes outside in the snow LOL.

tomkatzid
02-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Here is a product I found on line. Our dishwasher is stainless steel and this product is not for stainless. So guess it depends on what your inside is coated with.
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?item=18001017&brand=MAC
Katz

Randi
01-27-2009, 03:51 PM
No need to try anything else until you've tried Clam Juice! THAT will get rid of the onion smell, just ask Phred! ;)

..............only joking. :D