PDA

View Full Version : hoping to adopt new kitty!!

sirrahbed
02-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Omegosh I am SOOO excited about this and hope it works out. There is a catshow here next weekend and a breeder of scottish folds will be there. She has several older kitties she is "retiring" and who are in need of homes. I have put in my request for one of them and just HOPE she is still available!! I am waiting to hear back from the breeder - she is currently at a catshow near where she lives today so maybe she will answer this evening!

Sorry - wanted to delete the picture and forget this:( I will delete the whole thread in a few days so ya'll don't wonder about what happened:(

krazyaboutkatz
02-13-2005, 04:27 PM
She's such a sweetheart and I sure hope that you'll be able to adopt her.:D Scottish Folds are supposed to have great personalities and you can never go wrong with an orangie.:) Do you know how old she is? She sure looks young to me.

RedHedd
02-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Aww! She's so cute! My hairdresser had a Scottish Fold named Murray - we called him furry, purry Murray. He is now living with a friend in New York. They have great purrsonalities! Of course I know you will keep us posted on the progress.

catcrazylady
02-13-2005, 04:45 PM
What a doll baby!!! I hope it works out! Let us know as soon as you do!!!:D

carole
02-13-2005, 04:48 PM
What a beauty she is, good luck, let us know if you get her.:)

kimlovescats
02-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Wow! What a shock! Have you wanted one of this breed for a long time? He /she is a cutie for sure!;)

Laura's Babies
02-13-2005, 04:55 PM
I love those big eyes! She is cute as a button!! Hope this works out for you... she is so cute!!! She REEKS of personallity too!

sirrahbed
02-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Yes, KAK, she is young. The breeder has five other adults but this girl is the one I want! Here is what her description says about why she needs adoption:

Marty is a cream/cameo mackerel tabby folded ear shorthair. She is a champion and over half way to her Grand Champion. I was planning on breeding her, but she had a disaster litter and I’ve decided to go ahead and spay her. She is a calm, quiet and sweet cat. She has wide open doll-like eyes and a sweet expression. She is not aggressive about attention but does love people and will come for attention in the evening when the house is quiet. She about 2.

I soooo want this kitty! I even love the name as that is my pen-name that I normally use on Internet forums. Is that a sign?? :D Yes, of course I will keep you up to date. I have been writing to several breeders of folds. There others available in other locations but this pretty girl I would not have to have shipped. I saw my first fold at a cat show several years ago and was just smitten with them! This month's Cat Fancy also features the breed. I cannot justify buying a kitten so I thought the "retired" adult was my best option to ever have a purebred. I have kept watch at the local shelters but there has never been a fold. :rolleyes: This girl sounds just like what I am looking for!! I think I will cry if I find out she has been placed but she was only listed on Thursday and the breeder had a show to attend about 4 hours from home - yesterday and today - so unless someone adopted her at the show (and she was even brought along!) I am hoping she is at home and waiting for me!! Dennis says YES also:)

sirrahbed
02-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Wow! What a shock! Have you wanted one of this breed for a long time? He /she is a cutie for sure!;)
I never really thought I would have a purebred - but if I ever did, I wanted a fold. What sold me was a series of books I read a few years ago - can't remember the name but about this guy and his travels with his scottish fold kitty. Anyone remember the name?? edit: I just remember the cat was named Norton!! He was pretty famous, too (author and cat) I had never even heard of a scottish fold before! So, I read up on the breed and Dennis and I went to see some at a show a couple years back in Dayton and saw them and talked with the breeders, etc. We also looked at Ragdolls which I had been wanting before that. But, like I said - I cannot justify spending so much money for a purebred, myself. This way - I can have a purebred and still be adopting!! The cost is not bad - about like a shelter! But, the breeder has to evaluate us, our home, our pets, etc. I mailed them all about us, pictures, name, addres and phone of our vet, etc.
:rolleyes: just have to wait!! The breeder should be home sometime tonight - hope to hear from her - maybe tomorrow. :D Yes, I had to do some searching and sleuthing to figure her whereabouts and found out all I could!!

Karen
02-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Sher is adorable. How good that the breeder decided that one "disaster litter" was enough for the poor sweetie! Hope everything works out ...

catnapper
02-13-2005, 05:41 PM
I am so excited for you! Another orangie for Debbie! :D

kimlovescats
02-13-2005, 05:46 PM
I think rescuing a breeder cat is an excellent idea!!!:D

kuhio98
02-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Marty is adorable! I've always wanted a Scottish Fold myself. I didn't know they came in orange/cream/mackerel. I wonder what "disaster litter" means? Genetic problems? Or maybe she was too young to me a mother? Or ??
Oh well, I'm sure she'll have a long happy, healthy life with you guys. Should be interesting to see how Princess Emily and Princess Lizzie handle adding another Princess to the family. :D

jenluckenbach
02-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Are you hooked on cats or something?? I think there is a shot for that affliction now.....too bad it wasn't developed in time to save me.....:D:D:D:D

j/k......good luck getting that sweet kitty. If you can't, I have some you can choose from if you REALLY NEED another kittie ;)

catcrazylady
02-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Any news yet???!!!:D

DogLover9501
02-13-2005, 06:50 PM
:eek: Debbie, I am so excited for you :D

She is absolutely adorable, I love folds!! I've always heard that they are *really* active and always wanting attention :D

I can't wait for an update!!

QueenScoopalot
02-13-2005, 07:07 PM
CUTE!!! CUTE!!! ADORABLE!! Oh, and did I say cute? :D I hope to hear she'll be yours, and wonder how the princes, and princesses will take to her! :confused:

luvofallhorses
02-13-2005, 07:16 PM
AWWWWWWW she is so adorable :D I hope your dreams come true getting this kitty :D

christa
02-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Wow, Deb! I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread! She is beautiful!!! I hope things work out! She would be such a wonderful addition!!!

Good luck & let us know as soon as you hear something! :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Awwww! I hope this works out for you Deb:D:D I've always want a Scottish fold, they've got wonderful personalities:) Good Luck!

catcrazylady
02-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Have you heard anything yet, huh? Have ya, huh? Huh? Huh? I'm not very patient ya know! :p :p :p

CalliesMom
02-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Good luck on the pending adoption! She sure is cute.

catnapper
02-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
Have you heard anything yet, huh? Have ya, huh? Huh? Huh? I'm not very patient ya know! :p :p :p
Same here!!!

I'm pacing the floor here!

sirrahbed
02-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady

Originally posted by catnapper
Same here!!!

I'm pacing the floor here!

Brats!:p I am right with you though! If she calls tonight or e-mails that Marty is adopted, I am going to cry and cry!! I figure she should be just getting home about now though. I did all the...uhm...sleuthing that I could and know she was at a cat show all weekend that is 4 hours from where she lives:cool: Then, worrying that she would not check her e-mail, I found her home phone and left a message on her recording. Well, I *think* it was her number anyway - if not - someone will have a very strange message to listen to! Maybe she will think I am too persistent and obnoxious?:rolleyes: I hope to hear back by tomorrow evening - wouldn't you think?? :rolleyes: :) :o

shais_mom
02-13-2005, 10:58 PM
how adorable Debbie!
I went to a cat show in 2003 and there was a breeder there with them and there was one up for adoption also - soooo sweet!!
I was totally in love with him and a persian! :)
Good Luck!

iloverat
02-13-2005, 11:25 PM
[ Maybe she will think I am too persistent and obnoxious?:rolleyes:

Or maybe she'll think this lady REALLLLLY wants this baby and if she found my phone number through sleuthing, she must be intelligent and persistent (nothing wrong with persistence in MY book) and would be attentive to this cat. Just maybe this breeder would see your actions and qualities as big pawsitives!!! Good luck, Debbie! I, too, am excited for you and will be on the edge of my seat til we hear from you on Marty. :)

val
02-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Paws crossed for you and Marty! What a cutie pie!

NoahsMommy
02-13-2005, 11:56 PM
She's soooooo precious!! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed over here too. :)

rg_girlca
02-14-2005, 12:27 AM
OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG. Debbie she is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous.
I LOVE Scottish Folds.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way that it all works out for you.:D

Oh gosh she is so darn sweet.

DogLover9501
02-14-2005, 12:34 AM
I'm about as patient as Lisa and Kim :p

Debbie, you better update as soon as you hear anything!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-14-2005, 03:39 AM
Just found this post, as I am not much on pC during weekend!

OMG, Debbie, Marty is just toooo sweet for words!! Those eyes, those folded ears, it is a real doll!! Oh please God, let that breeder decide that Marty HAS TO GO to Debbie :) :)

chrangharris
02-14-2005, 05:53 AM
I just found this thread!! I've never heard of Scottish Folds before but she is a doll!! I love her big eyes!! Any news yet?

persianmom
02-14-2005, 07:59 AM
Have you heard anything yet? she is adorable. Prays that she is yours.

christa
02-14-2005, 09:09 AM
First thing I thought of when I saw this kitty:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v283/lordgreyhame/Varias/Cat.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/martynew.jpg

sirrahbed
02-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by christa
First thing I thought of when I saw this kitty:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v283/lordgreyhame/Varias/Cat.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/martynew.jpg

OMEGOSH Christa! That is purrfect!! LOL They must have used a fold as a model for that kitty for sure.

No news yet - maybe she will answer after work today??? I soooo want Marty!! WAAAH! http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/1012.gif

DogLover9501
02-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Debbie, I'm going crazy!!!!! :p

sirrahbed
02-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
Debbie, I'm going crazy!!!!! :p
Me too, Robyn http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/1012.gif
I am probably getting my hopes up too much!! I have been so edgy - my whole house is cleaned, laundry done - sheesh!

chrangharris
02-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Me too, Robyn http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/1012.gif
I am probably getting my hopes up too much!! I have been so edgy - my whole house is cleaned, laundry done - sheesh!

You want to come do my house??:D

DogLover9501
02-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by chrangharris
You want to come do my house??:D

LOL!

Uabassoon
02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Still no news?

sirrahbed
02-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Still no news?
Laura:No:rolleyes: I thought I would surely have an e-mail by tonight. Not sure what to think - I really expected the breeder to answer me one way or the other:(

Guess lots of you are excited about this kitty huh?

jenluckenbach
02-14-2005, 08:17 PM
How rude! It really irks me when people don't answer you. :mad: (can you tell this is a really sore subject with me!!?!)

Of course, as you probably know, waiting is NOT one of my string suits.

I sure hope you get an answer, it is frustrating not knowing.

sirrahbed
02-14-2005, 08:24 PM
I am really frustrated Jen. The kitty was available just this last Thursday - and the breeder was gone all weekend. I sent three e-mails full of everything she would want to know about us and then left a telephone message as well. I don't know what to think.

It does not seem likely that the kitty is already gone..but if so, I just want to know:( My interest, intent and excitement was MORE than obvious.

I've been home today wanting to add her to my siggy - guess I get carried away.

DJFyrewolf36
02-14-2005, 08:33 PM
I hope you hear news soon!!!! Boy, Marty is such a cutie! I've heard so many good things about Folds from various people. I am wondering too, what is a "desaster litter"?

Pawsies and fingers crossed for you!

DogLover9501
02-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Oh Debbie, {{{Hugs}}}!

I was hoping there would be an update!

Do you have another way to contact this person? Like a phone number or anything? That would be good ;)

I hope that she contacts you soon, and I'm sure Marty isn't adopted yet!

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-15-2005, 04:06 AM
No news yet debbie? Oh my, that breeder takes his time to answer his mail!! cannot he/she feel how much you want this cutie???? I really hope so much that Marty will be yours!!!!

kimlovescats
02-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Oh Debbie, I know how you feel, I am the world's worst WAITer!!! :rolleyes:

catfamily
02-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Oh I hope you get this beautiful boy.This cat will be in the best possible home if he goes to your home.I wish the breeder would know this somehow.

NKBurlington
02-15-2005, 08:24 AM
She's sooo cute. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

catnapper
02-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm impatient just waiting for the news... I can only imagine how many thousand times a day you've been checking your email for an answer!

mina'smomma
02-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Laura:No:rolleyes: I thought I would surely have an e-mail by tonight. Not sure what to think - I really expected the breeder to answer me one way or the other:(

Guess lots of you are excited about this kitty huh?

Ok Deb give me the number and I'll call her after work tonight. No One ignores my friend:mad: I'm so exicited for you to get precious Marty. I would give her another call today. Persistance usually pays off in the long run.

If that doesn't work e-mail me the number and I'll call for you.

:D :D :D Just as the Detroit VA Office. I love being a nucisance (sp?) to them.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Debbie, I haven't had a chance to reply to as many posts as I'd like, but I just wanted to let you know I'm hoping and praying this person has a good reason for not responding to you yet. :mad: Marty is just too adorable and it would be so cool to have our first Scottish Fold on PT!

Come on people, respond already!

Poo
02-15-2005, 10:01 AM
We are keeping our fingers and paws crossed for you Debbie. Hope you get some good news soon. Marty is a sweetie. :)

Nicki x

Uabassoon
02-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Anything at all? I want to know! Mainly just because I know if that cutie comes home with you I'll get to see TONS of pictures :)

iloverat
02-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Still hoping that that darling Nermal look-alike will be coming your way......and soon!!!!

rg_girlca
02-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Prayers and postive thoughts on the way that you get nothing but good news on this cutie patootie.

sirrahbed
02-15-2005, 10:03 PM
:rolleyes: .....

:mad: ......

:( ..........

:rolleyes: .......

Nothing yet! I DID call her back again at about 6pm her time - nobody home. I left a VERY plaintiff message asking her to PLEASE call or e-mail - even if the news is bad - that I really was anxious to know about adopting this girl. I have made it clear that if Marty is available - my home is ready for her!! I even spelled out my e-mail for her. She has my phone number from my first message and in the e-mails. So, I have sent three e-mails and left 2 telephone messages:rolleyes:

Maybe there is a good reason like she is working long hours or maybe had a trip to make - I don't know. The catshow is here on Saturday only, beginning in the morning and she says on the website that she will be here in Dayton. Maybe she is not coming or something - but I still wish I knew and asked to please tell me something one way or another.

So sorry to get everyone else all excited. I REALLY have let myself set my heart on her - (made her my desktop) - not a smart thing to do I guess. I just felt SO SURE!! Well, it could still happen, right??

I will keep looking for my fold regardless. I have written other breeders as well, asking them to consider me when they have an older cat that needs a home. Shipping runs around $200 from the various states I checked. I am saving up my nickles!! Who knows? Maybe there will be another breeder at the show on Saturday?? And maybe they will have some adults to retire?? I really want MARTY though!!!

I could *almost* whine!!WAHHH!!!!!!

catnapper
02-15-2005, 10:12 PM
I could scream in desperation for you! How frustrating! :mad:

{{{HUGS}}} I hope you hear something soon!

rg_girlca
02-15-2005, 10:22 PM
AWWW Debbie, this is so unfair of this woman to put you through this.

Quoted by sirrahbed
So sorry to get everyone else all excited.

Never apologize to us Debbie. We are all here for the excitements, the disappointments,and the heartbreaks. When someone goes through these feelings, we go through them with that person. We are here to listen and to lend our support.

Hang in there, YOU WILL GET YOUR SCOTTISH FOLD!!!!:D

(((((HUGS)))))

NoahsMommy
02-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Oh Debbie, I'm so sorry you're having to wait this long for a simple answer. Hopefully there is a good reason.

:) I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

krazyaboutkatz
02-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Debbie, Just remember that if it's meant to be it will happen and if not then I'm sure you'll find another Scottish Fold very soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are on the way.:)
Too bad you don't live in California because the last few cat shows have had Scottish Folds for sale. Some were kittens and I think that they were also retiring some of them.:)

catfamily
02-16-2005, 03:46 AM
I hope she's considerate enough to call soon.Good Luck on Marty.I'm sorry I thought Marty was a boy.Marty is a beautiful girl.I forgot that Marty is a two way name.I know two woman named Marty too.How could I forget.:)

NKBurlington
02-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Any news?!

sirrahbed
02-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by NKBurlington
Any news?!

WAAAH!!!!! NO!!! WAAAHHH!!!!

sirrahved
02-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Mom,

I'm willing to break some knees!

cubby31682
02-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by sirrahved
Mom,

LOL!!! I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh at this comment. I'm willing to steal the kitty while Devon breaks some knees!

krazyaboutkatz
02-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Debbie, Does this woman live close to you? Maybe you should just go over to her house. I sure hope that she gets back to you soon. Good luck.:)

sirrahbed
02-17-2005, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
Debbie, Does this woman live close to you? Maybe you should just go over to her house. I sure hope that she gets back to you soon. Good luck.:)
KAK: I am in Ohio and and she is in South Carolina. I wrote again last night and told her if she was not able to bring Marty to the catshow here where I live this weekend, we would drive to get her! (She was scheduled to be here!!) Dennis has been wanting to go to South Carolina anyway (he was born there) He has places he wants to show me:) So....we will see! It sure seems strange that she will not answer me but there must be some good reason.

Killearn Kitties
02-17-2005, 07:19 AM
How frustrating! I was hoping, because I had found this thread so late, that there would be some kind of resolution at the end of it. Marty is beautiful! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

catfamily
02-17-2005, 07:33 AM
They surely will send Marty to the wrong house if she doesn't go to yours.What a shame.I hope they call you for Marty's sake.

sirrahbed
02-17-2005, 07:57 AM
I DID hear back from the breeder this morning!! Marty was just spayed on Tuesday, is still feeling "wimpy" and she is not "sure" she will be able to bring her to this catshow here this weekend..... But, she suggested we meet up with her in April - when she is fairly nearby at another show (Detroit). So Marty is still with her!!

I sent back an e-mail - pretty much pleading for her to bring Marty (since she said not *sure*) - but also agreeing that I would wait and consider the other retiring adult folds she has - I told her exactly what I want - sweet, loving, lapkitty companion, etc - and asked for her suggestion about which cat would be the best match - she already knows about all my cats. Still, I ended by saying I felt like I was already in love with Marty - would take her for a spay follow-up to my vet, etc...a little begging and groveling :rolleyes: I wonder if my five cat situation even sounds good to a breeder placing her cats?? I was reading that some will only place cats in certain homes with no more than 2 other cats, no dogs, etc. The woman sounds very nice! She apologized for not responding sooner - having taken off work to do some home remodeling.

Still, sooner or later here, it looks like I WILL be adopting a Scottish Fold like I have been wanting - just not sure who it will be - maybe pretty Marty..I hope so!!:D

I guess I need to be patient - but I sure do want this kitty:D

catfamily
02-17-2005, 08:01 AM
I hope it's Marty.I'm glad she called back.Too bad she just couldn't ship her down somehow.

jenluckenbach
02-17-2005, 08:04 AM
Well, I am glad that you finally heard! Do you think a few (hundred Pet Talk) referrences would help her to know that you are a good kitty mom????

sirrahbed
02-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Well, I am glad that you finally heard! Do you think a few (hundred Pet Talk) referrences would help her to know that you are a good kitty mom????

Funny Jen:D I am really not sure how breeders of purebreds think - you know? What do they consider a good home? I told her I was not interested in purchasing a purebred and that all my kitties were shelter or rescues. I wonder if this sounds like a negative thing:rolleyes: Well, it is the truth and how I feel. I *want* a fold but could never justify the cost of a kitten or "show" cat - have no interest in that sort of thing. I like going to shows - but am not a "showcat" person you know??

So if she had 100 PetTalk references - would that be a good thing?? Most of us prefer needy kitties!! Ok I am rambling - but you get my drift - I am not sure that my home situation is attractive to a breeder thinking about placing her kitties:rolleyes: *I* know I would treasure and love this kitty to death ...but??

catfamily
02-17-2005, 08:29 AM
They'd be fools not to think about the gift of someone loving a rescue instead of buying a cat to show off because of it's breed or looks.

kimlovescats
02-17-2005, 08:45 AM
I am so glad you finally heard something and that Marty is still available! Maybe she will decide to bring her this weekend afterall! Fingers and paws crossed!;)

catnapper
02-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Glad she finally contacted you! I would think that a home filled with 5 rescued cats sounds like the purrfect home of someone who loves cats for being CATS... not for being a special purebred crature with papers and a pedegree rich with blue blood. Too many people out there want a certain cat for the status of having one, and a breeder should recognize that and be happy to hand over a "retired" kitty to a rescuer!

mina'smomma
02-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by sirrahved
Mom,

Hey Dev

I'll bring the steel bats!!!!! Will even lend a hand.

Logan
02-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey Debbie. You know who lives in SC, don't you? And who loves to transport those rescues, dogs and cats?

Do you know where she is in SC? ;)

krazyaboutkatz
02-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Debbie, I'm glad that you finally heard back from her and that Marty is still available. I hope that everything will work out for you in the end.:)

EssTer
02-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Aww.. That kitty is such a cutie pie ;) I hope everything´s gonna be fine and you will get her ;)

sirrahbed
02-17-2005, 06:51 PM
I will not be getting Marty - or any of the adult cats. I got another message from the breeder and she made that quite clear. It was a very odd and pretty upsetting e-mail. I had responded and asked her if she would bring Marty here this weekend - that I definitely wanted her very much.....Well, here it is actually: No greeting - it begins just this way...

Well Debbie, many of my adults I am hoping to place with folks who can look at them first. Marty is sweet and comes around to be pet and she purrs but I wouldn't call her a lap kitty. In fact, I am thinking that if she is in a home with only a couple of cats that she will get sweeter.

The Westland show is what I was thinking about. . .not detroit.

I have several of my kitties that may already have homes. . .after Monday I will know more. . .

It seems that a home with five cats is not quite desirable and suddenly even the other cats "may have homes". It is a not even polite kiss-off.

Now, I feel silly for all my excitement, sharing all about my cats to her and seeming so eager to adopt this girl. She does not have any intention of adopting to me and I feel she probably never did - just wish I had not spent my week waiting so eagerly - I feel foolish and I feel sad.

It is just as well. I have five happy and spoiled cats and bringing another adult may have been upsetting anyway. I really felt I could offer a good home, though.:( I don't want to keep looking either. Maybe breeders do not like their cats to go to just any home - although I don't think of mine as "just any" home. But maybe they want them to be only cats or make sure they have more attention. The whole thing just made me feel bad, sad...foolish even :(

jenluckenbach
02-17-2005, 07:06 PM
DON'T feel any of those things. Breeders (in general) are VERY strange people. [sorry, I don't mean to step on any toes, but I find this to be true]. Just love on your currentr kitties, and who knows what might pop up sometime. I feel Marty lost out on a great home, but I feel even stronger that another BETTER kitty is waiting to be a Sirrah-cat, and you will be GLAD that you had the open space.

HUG!

iloverat
02-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Well, rats, Debbie. :( I'm sorry that Marty will not be a part of your family as you would've given her a wonderful home. But I am more sorry that the breeder's note was upsetting for you. Please don't take any of what she had to say too personally. You don't know this lady at all and it may be that she is just a less than warm and generous individual. Any normal PTer would've read the e-mails you sent to the breeder and would have seen a woman who loves her furbabies completely, who dotes on them and was anxious and excited about adding to her family. It's obvious the breeder is not "one of us" and remember now, WE are the prototype for the bestest cat parents ever! Don't know what HER problem was but it was definitely HER and not you that was the problem. Don't fret for one more second, my pet. You are a great lady and your enthusiasm, love and compassion for kitties are just one part of what makes you great. As my mother would say, "That woman (the breeder) isn't worth ONE of your tears". :) Sending hugs for all - Bobbi

Prairie Purrs
02-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Well, maybe a PTer with only a couple of cats should adopt Marty--and promptly turn her over to Debbie! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
02-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Debbie, I'm so sorry that this breeder has upset you and made you feel foolish.:( I don't think you should feel foolish at all. You should be proud that you have your wonderful 5 cat family.:) You never know what might happen in the future.

When I went looking to adopt a cat at my local shelter, there was a Scottish Fold there that I thought was cute. I held him but he was very scared and not quite what I was looking for. I didn't even know what a Scottish Fold was back then. This was when I ended up adopting Storm. Last year a foster mom that I know had two Scottish Fold kittens in her home. So you never know, you may be able to still adopt a Scottish Fold from someone other than a breeder.:) {{{HUGS}}}

rg_girlca
02-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Debbie, please dear friend, DO NOT let this woman bring you down. As Jen said, "Not to step on anyone's toes", but some, not all, breeders are snobs. Please do not feel foolish, bad or sad. I'm sure many of us have felt this way at one point or another in our lives, but the main thing right now is to focus on what you have. Your gorgeous, handsome orangie Dylan, funman Eliot, surrogate mom Emily, adorable Robbie and last but not least, your precious Lizzie. Now, let's focus on Lizzie for a moment. Really look at this picture of the two of you here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/deblizzie2.jpg
Your are positively glowing in this picture with Lizzie on your lap. Your Ice Princess is starting to melt. Now, this could have brought a negative effect on this if you had brought another cat into the house at this time. Your home is NOT "just any" home. Your home has the two most loving, caring, wonderful people that anyone would be honored to know, who love and care for their cats like their lives depend on it. This woman does not know you like we do, so please, do not take what she had to say to heart. If it was not meant for you to have Marty, it was not meant to be and I am sorry for that.
Maybe, one day, there will be another kitty who will really need you.
Now, take a deep breath, really take in what others have said, SMILE and go give those kitties of yours a bunch of kisses.

((((((HUGS))))))

shais_mom
02-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Debbie, please dear friend, DO NOT let this woman bring you down. As Jen said, "Not to step on anyone's toes", but some, not all, breeders are snobs. Please do not feel foolish, bad or sad. I'm sure many of us have felt this way at one point or another in our lives, but the main thing right now is to focus on what you have. Your gorgeous, handsome orangie Dylan, funman Eliot, surrogate mom Emily, adorable Robbie and last but not least, your precious Lizzie. Now, let's focus on Lizzie for a moment. Really look at this picture of the two of you here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/deblizzie2.jpg
Your are positively glowing in this picture with Lizzie on your lap. Your Ice Princess is starting to melt. Now, this could have brought a negative effect on this if you had brought another cat into the house at this time. Your home is NOT "just any" home. Your home has the two most loving, caring, wonderful people that anyone would be honored to know, who love and care for their cats like their lives depend on it. This woman does not know you like we do, so please, do not take what she had to say to heart. If it was not meant for you to have Marty, it was not meant to be and I am sorry for that.
Maybe, one day, there will be another kitty who will really need you.
Now, take a deep breath, really take in what others have said, SMILE and go give those kitties of yours a bunch of kisses.

((((((HUGS))))))

Well Said and I couldn't agree more!! :)

aly
02-18-2005, 01:34 AM
Maybe I'm just overly tired and not thinking, but I don't see the email as her saying no :confused:

Well Debbie, many of my adults I am hoping to place with folks who can look at them first. Marty is sweet and comes around to be pet and she purrs but I wouldn't call her a lap kitty. In fact, I am thinking that if she is in a home with only a couple of cats that she will get sweeter.

The Westland show is what I was thinking about. . .not detroit.

I have several of my kitties that may already have homes. . .after Monday I will know more. . .

marilee

It is understandable that she wants people to visit with her cats before adopting. I require that of all my fosters as well. That doesn't mean she's saying no though. Also, she said she'd know more after Monday so maybe she'll get back to you then.

Just my take on it. Could be wrong.

ratchet22
02-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by aly
Maybe I'm just overly tired and not thinking, but I don't see the email as her saying no :confused:

It is understandable that she wants people to visit with her cats before adopting. I require that of all my fosters as well. That doesn't mean she's saying no though. Also, she said she'd know more after Monday so maybe she'll get back to you then.

Just my take on it. Could be wrong.

I see this too in her email, I don't really see anything horrible in it? You may want to respond saying that you agree, that maybe you should see marty first, and if there is anyway you can meet her somewhere to see marty. That you understand her concern. I personally would not release a cat to someone I have never met. So I would not want to say yes you can have marty at the show. And then get to the show and see you are some kind of fruitcake, And have to release the animal, I KNOW YOUR NOT A FRUIT CAKE, Im just saying as far as the lady is concerned you could be. You need to get to know her and her babies. Just a thought

kimlovescats
02-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Debbie, I went through this same roller coaster when I tried to adopt my rescue Sheltie!!! The breeder / rescuer tried her best to keep me from getting Missy ... finally when I wouldn't back down, she agreed. These people are very cautious with their pets, and want you to prove yourself and your genuine interest in them! You have to go to THEM and make the effort! You might just be tired of the whole thing, and maybe rightfully so ... but I am just telling you what happened with me and Missy and if you still feel that this is something you want to pursue, then don't give up. If you don't want to or can't risk it any longer, then DON'T feel bad about yourself!!!

((((HUGS))))
Kim

Logan
02-18-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm hoping you will take a deep, deep breath, and go meet the breeder, Debbie. If we have to work out a transport to Ohio, then so be it, when the time is right!!!!! Keep your chin up, go see the lady, anyway, and maybe even invite her to your home if she can fit that into her schedule. If Marty is to be with you, she will be!!!!! And I'll do anything I can to help with the transporting of her towards you!

Logan

sirrahbed
02-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Below is what I heard back after I wrote one last e-mail and said I felt I could have provided a great home and was sorry that I did not seem to qualify and that I did not want to pursue any adoption if Marty was not going to be happy with me....(too many cats)

Although I want my adults to find great homes, I am not in a desperate hurry to place any one of them. I am also not in the business of sending cats to homes who will hate them only to drop them off at the pound if they don't warm up to them. That's why I prefer to place shy cats locally. What if you got Marty and she never warmed up to you? Then what? Will you personally drive her down here back to me?

On another note entirely, I could not bring marty to you anyway since I was already bringing two cats. I told you that and you continued to push me. . .noting something to the effect of "can't you find a way to bring her". Well, the answer to that is no. . .

I am not sure why you acted this way. Perhaps you are trying to overeducate yourself by reading too much on the internet. My main goal with my cats is to #1 make drop dead gorgeous show kitties and #2 find great homes for the ones who aren't. .

The "overeducate yourself" comment refers to a website I mentioned - one that listed scottish fold rescues and that most folks *did* prefer homes with "1 or 2 cats OK" and so I understood her concern....

The whole story is more complicated than that but all I can say is that it was unpleasant and I want to forget it. My e-mail to her probably sounded defensive - which is how I felt!!...and I can also tell she felt I was too "pushy" by asking her to please bring the kitty to the catshow...again, I was trying to be persistant to show my interest....but I now know that this cat is not for me and I wish I could just put the whole episode out of my mind. Reading the one sentence:
I am also not in the business of sending cats to homes who will hate them only to drop them off at the pound if they don't warm up to them. ..made me first sad, then angry - then thinking I NEVER want to deal with a breeder again!! Where did THAT come from??? Lizzie has not warmed up to me so I am I going to drop her off at the pound??? :mad:

I know that all breeders are not like this as I met some very nice and normal ones yesterday - the one's whose kitty pictures I posted all seemed quite regular. I also met and talked with some of the oddest folks I can imagine:rolleyes:

I will post soon about what I thinking of doing next about my 6th kitty - maybe you will think I am nuts. Stay tuned....

jazzcat
02-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Debbie - she just sounds like a very protective meowmie, as I'm sure we would all be. Remember that in email she can't hear your tone, or you hers, so it's easy to take offense and get defensive. Just write this off as not meant to be and don't let it bother you.

I'm anxious to hear what you are thinking of now. Of course if you don't do anything right now I'm sure Robbie and Lizzie wouldn't mind so the limelight is still all theirs.

catfamily
02-20-2005, 05:27 PM
I would write back and tell her that she wrote such a mean letter to you and did not deserve it.And tell her how Lizzie never warmed up to you and how much you still love her.I don't like her for sending you that email.This was very mean and uncalled for.Invite the lady to your home to prove it.I would NEVER let her have that last word.She needs to be put in her place.If it was me I wouldn't take that.I'd be so upset I'd go to her house.:eek:

doolittleky
02-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Debbie,
I don't know if you are still considering adopting from a breeder or not after that terrible and disappointing experience you had. If you are interested though, my groomer is a breeder and show cats. I am not sure if your heart was set on a scottish Fold or not. I do know that sometimes he has adults he finds home for and if you aren't interested in the American shorthair breed he has then maybe he would know of a breeder in your area that you could adopt an adult cat from. If you aren't interested, let me know and I will ask him about it.
Melissa

kuhio98
02-20-2005, 05:39 PM
I say let it go. There has been some misunderstanding in the communication between the two of you and it probably won't be resolved to your satisfaction.

It sounds like Marty has a loving home ~ even though it won't be your home. :( Life is too short to try to "force" something to fit. Every one of your babies has come into your home under the "right" circumstances. And #7, 8, 9..... will do the same.

I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt. She doesn't know the wild and wonderful you like the rest of us do. What she interpreted as "pushy", others interpret as "passionate". Don't dwell on it for long. Grab a couple of kitties for some purr therapy. Kitties know how to let things go. We can learn a lot from the. ;)

cubby31682
02-20-2005, 06:01 PM
This quote has me a bit worried. My main goal with my cats is to #1 make drop dead gorgeous show kitties and #2 find great homes for the ones who aren't. .

Maybe I read this wrong but I don't think I did. She never says anything about breeding these kitties for companionship or anything. All she cares about is the show cats. Why are they more special than any other cat? Is it because she makes money off of them in the shows if they come in a certain place or what? If the cat isn't good enough she doesn't want to keep them. I find that to be very sick. Just because a cat isn't perfect doesn't mean she can't keep it. Look at all of us on her. Most of us have at least 1 cat that has some kind of problem. We don't just say okay well this cat isn't perfect so I have to find it a great home, because I won't get anything out of it.

Screw that woman. If she can't see a cat for their already present perfection then she doesn't deserve to give a cat to you Deb. She isn't good enough. All cats are perfect, and if she can't see that shame on her.

Katie

P.S. Sorry for the long rant. That quote struck a nerve I guess. Sorry if I repeated things so many times as well.

jenluckenbach
02-20-2005, 06:18 PM
I will post soon about what I thinking of doing next about my 6th kitty - maybe you will think I am nuts. Stay tuned....
OH no you don't !!!! You can't just say something like this and then let us hanging! :eek: You KNOW I can't stand suspense! :rolleyes:

But as for Marty, or any other breeder for that matter.....herein lies one of the exact reasons I'd never have a breed cat, rescue or not. I just hate the thought of keeping people like this is business.

sirrahbed
02-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by cubby31682
This quote has me a bit worried. My main goal with my cats is to #1 make drop dead gorgeous show kitties and #2 find great homes for the ones who aren't. .

Katie - this is also what hubby and I talked about as it shows her priorities are so opposite of ours!! I enjoy the shows but could care less about showcats - I think I said before that I usually end up feeling rather sorry for them. I also agree with everything you said in your post including "screw that woman" - you guys have not seen all the things that were said and it is not all just lost in the translation of e-mail. Knowing that the kitty I wanted is not a good match - I would not have anything in the world to do with this person again. I was tempted to send an ugli-gram but think it best to let it go. I have a very hard time doing this after feeling hurt and sad - my weakness though.

Jen: I will make a thread here in a few minutes about what I *may* be doing next....

kimlovescats
02-20-2005, 08:45 PM
OK, where is the new thread? You have our suspense, and full attention .... get posting!:D

cubby31682
02-20-2005, 08:45 PM
I can understand how hard it is for you not to send her something very ugly. I would be doing it. I don't have enough wheel power to hold my self back. If by some chance I actually manage to hold my self back my mom will take care of it. She can become a very ugly women when someone strikes a nerve. I have seen it to many times. She is also a huge cat person. Well I'm wrong on that she likes any and all animals.

You and Dennis are great people and you both deserve a cat that you can get with out having to beg for. I also feel bad for the show cats as well. I would hate to force a cat to live that life. I feel bad for show dogs as well. I just feel bad in general I guess. These pets don't come into this world asking to be taken place to place just to be shown off. I agree I love going to see these animals because they are so beautiful. I would also love it just as much if there were regular cats there. The ones all of us have. The tux's, calico's, orange's, stripes. Everything, I would enjoy that so much more I think.

I also can't wait to read about your plans for your 6th cat.

christa
02-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Wow . . . I can't believe her reply to you! I don't think I'd even want to bother dealing with that woman! What a jerk!

Deb, if it were meant to be, it would be. I think you realize that. You did nothing wrong, except find an adorable cat that you fell in love with . . . but PEOPLE can be so cruel, and it sounds as though you'd be better off not dealing with her.

I am also excited about your plans . . . come on! Give us a *hint*!!!

iloverat
02-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Whoo-boy. This woman is what I call a toxic person. Just like with any other germ, it's best to minimalize our exposure to their poison. What a creepola. :mad:

sirrahbed
02-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Thank you guys for being mad and sad with me - sure made me feel better!! I read some of these and had to laugh - and THAT felt good:D

I know I internalize things too much but I think I am done crying now:)