PDA

View Full Version : ((-'tiel info needed for a friend! thanks!-))

flamepony12
02-13-2005, 09:15 AM
I made this thread because a friend of mine has been wanting a 'tiel for quite a while and has been looking into them. I have given her as much information as I know, but I would like a bit more 'proffessional' info. ;) Once I have enough replies, I will print this thread out for her and give it to her. She is NOT planning on breeding, she only wants a bird as a compainion. She is most likely going to get a female. Any extra advice for her would be appreciated!! :)

-Devon

My Peanuts
02-14-2005, 03:37 PM
I have tons of tiel info, but I'm not a professional. I have owned tiels for 8 years and I have had my ups and downs with Alex. I own 4 tiels so I have experienced a lot. Alex has health issues so I know about that and also healthy tiels. I have 2 girls and 2 boys. I posted this to a question in the past and I added to it...

My cockatiels are like my kids. I bathe them, I cook for them, & I worry about them. I have four, two girls and two boys. Tiels are a lot of work, but worth it. When I first got Alex about 8 years ago I would do what the pet stores said. I would take her out about once or twice a week and feed her mainly seed. That is WRONG. I know that now.

The best advice I can give you is that tiels eat pretty much what you eat, not just seed and pellets. Still, pellets are important too. Pellets should be offered with seed as soon as your tiel comes home. My tiels love green beans, tuna, ham, scrambled eggs, potato salad, etc. Each tiel will be different. Green veggies are the best for them. Also remember tiels need a lot of calcium, especially females. I wish pet stores would tell people that stuff right off the bat. My avian vet said when you cook for yourself give them some. (Watch the salt and sugar, NO chocolate, alcohol duh!, or avocados) I change the water daily and I add vitamins to it. The vitamins can be bought at a pet store or pet supply store.

Also, weather permitting, my tiels like to go out in the sun (in their cage of course) I bathe them by putting the hose on mist and misting them that way, but only when it's warm enough. They sit in the sun misted and loving it. The sun is good for them and every time I got to the avian vet she reminds me of this!

I change the cages (I have two, one with my girls in it and one with my boys in it) about once a week. I usually do a full cleaning, but sometimes it’s just a quickie.

I also have a separate issue with my birds that you probably won't. Alex is a bad egg layer, which is why I have four birds now. Alex lived with Danny and got egg bound so the vet wanted them separated. Well, they were lonely so I got Milton to live with Danny and Evie to live with Alex. I also give them daily supervised visits because Danny LOVES Alex and I couldn't keep them separated forever. Alex has a new health issue with her liver. I am in the process of giving her meds for her liver until the end of the month. I was also giving her antibiotics.

This seems like a lot of care, but if you make it part of a routine it really isn't bad. Plus, a hand raised cockatiel will be really affectionate and makes it all worth it. I would suggest getting a pair. Tiels like companionship from humans and other tiels. I got Evie when I already had the other 3 and I had no problem bonding with her and she bonded with Milton as well. If you get a male & a female there is the possibility of babies (A TON OF WORK!) Two females will be quiet, but they still can lay eggs without a male, which can lead to egg binding (the #1 killer of female tiels). Two males will be very loud, but obviously you don't have to worry about egg bindings or anything like that. Either way make sure you have an avian vet. You never know when you will need them.

A single tiel will also work, but he/she has to be taken out the cage A LOT. They need companionship. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

flamepony12
03-27-2005, 03:17 PM
I know this was a while ago, (I forgot about this thread, lol) But I wanted to thank you for your information! :) I'm printing out your reply and giving it to her. Thanks!