PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded income taxes!

smokey the elder
02-13-2005, 07:41 AM
For all the Americans in the audience: have you started/done your taxes yet? I did mine yesterday, with the capable help of Bubba, but didn't e-file them.

For everyone else in the world: do you have to do an annual tax return or equivalent?

catnapper
02-13-2005, 07:57 AM
UGH... don't talk to me about taxes! I spent ALL last week on them. I met my accountant Wednesday and he needs a bit more info. I've been draggin my feet and procrastinating BADLY about it since then. I did everything in the world to avoid doing it yesterday - laundry, cleaning, you name it. I SWEAR I'll get to it today!

I HATE numbers (they dance on the page and switch themselves around) and am always petrified I'll transpose numbers (which I always do anyway) and sitting down with a year's worth of business and personal receipts is more than I want to do.

I can't work on taxes anymore! I have to, but can't. I think I broke my brain sometime during the week.

Cincy'sMom
02-13-2005, 08:04 AM
Just got my copy of turbo tax Friday night...may start them today
:(

BitsyNaceyDog
02-13-2005, 09:49 AM
We still have 2 months. :confused: ;)

No, we haven't done them yet. My husband does a lot of contract jobs so our taxes are a pain. I think he's meeting with the accountant this week. We always owe money because of the contract work. :rolleyes:

Cataholic
02-13-2005, 10:06 AM
I haven't done them, yet..but, cause of my little 'deduction' in 2004, I should get a healthy return. :p

Kfamr
02-13-2005, 10:19 AM
I think my parents already have their's done. My dad always gets a version of Turbo Tax for the computer and other people have him do their's as well.

Laura's Babies
02-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Have to get mine done while I am off this time.... I pay a friend to do mine and she does it with that Turbo Tax and does a great job!

Vio&Juni
02-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Normally, if you have a job here, they do pay and calculate the taxes for you. If you have more than one job, they still pay for it, and at the tax authorities check if they do it right. My sister got some money in return one year, so she didn't have to calculate anything, all was done by the fisc.
If you have a business, it's a little more complicated, but not very.

slick
02-13-2005, 02:00 PM
My taxes are really easy.....because.....I have no money!!! Actually my only income is my job so I can get my taxes done in about 10 minutes on the computer.

We don't have to have ours in until the end of April. I like to get mine done early, of course it doesn't help when you don't get your T4 slip from work until the end of March. :rolleyes:

Cincy'sMom
02-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Turbo Tax is not cooperating...it says I owe too much!! Ithas to be wrong.

Off to keep trying!!

tomkatzid
02-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I don't use the computer to do the taxes. Not enough deductions ect to mess with it. Not untill we win the lotto that is !! I always wait till the last minute too, even though we get a refund. I just keep putting it off. Maybe this year I will do them in March instead of April !!!
Katz

popcornbird
02-13-2005, 03:55 PM
My dad's working on them now, and isn't too happy about the amount he has to pay. He said he's never had to pay this much money in taxes in his LIFE! Turbo tax makes things easier, but its still complicated. I wish they would just deduct taxes from our pay checks like they do in Europe. Would make things sooo much easier. When you have to do the calculations yourself, it feels like you're losing TONS of hard earned money. :p LOL.

christa
02-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Ugh! I hate doing taxes! I've just barely started going through my stuff. I've only got a month too! I file corporate taxes and they're due March 15th . . . so thanks for the reminder! :rolleyes:

slick
02-13-2005, 04:49 PM
I wish they would just deduct taxes from our pay checks like they do in Europe.
:confused: :confused: Huh???? You mean when you get paid there is no income tax deducted - which would mean your paycheque is the gross amount not the net amount, then at the end of the year YOU have to figure out how much you owe or get back????

Edwina's Secretary
02-13-2005, 04:55 PM
You mean when you get paid there is no income tax deducted

Goodness no! The problem is to match the amount withheld to the amount that will be actually owed. Sometimes it is less, sometimes more... depending on other things like income from investments, deductions, etc.

I think the minimum tax is 20% or so. Plus FICA which is 7.45% (matched by the employer.)

slick
02-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Well, THAT makes much more sense and yes, we do that up here. I was just confuuzzzled on PCB's wording.

Thanks Sara.

Corinna
02-14-2005, 02:56 AM
I have been working on them since Jan. with 2 businesses and 2 jobs I have a fun process just to get ready . I always drag my feet as I have to pay the last 3 years. Yuck. At least I get the use of MY money for the year not the goverment useing the intrest on it.

jenfer
02-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Did it the day I got my W2. Received my refund and spent it already.:o

Christiansmommy
02-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Didn't do it yet (but hope to soon)...it will be more confusing this year though. Hubby worked for 2 different companies, we sold our old house, bought another in a different state, and he also works in a different state then we live in...but we will do it on Turbo Tax, as we do every year...if it gets too confusing, we will go to H &R Block or something, but hopefully we will get it done on the computer ourselves...

Edwina's Secretary
02-14-2005, 11:47 AM
We lived in two states....had a corporate-paid relocation, I am self-employed...we bought and sold houses...

My appointment is next week with an accountant....

kimlovescats
02-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Did ours on EZtaxreturn.com, getting a fairly decent refund this year thanks to having little Jenna living with us this past year! But hopefully that will all change this year!:rolleyes: ;)

Logan
02-14-2005, 01:02 PM
This chore is still looming over me. I will do it. Last time we had the accountant do it, it was over $400 to pay him. Don't want to deal with that again. :p

In the next few weeks, now that everything has arrived, I will tackle the chore. Just hope we don't owe anyone!!!! PLEASE!!!!! :D

lizbud
02-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Finished mine a week or so ago. Turbo Tax is a great
invention. :D My math skills are slim.:D

Sirrahsim
02-14-2005, 06:25 PM
I did mine last week.. There are a lot of places online where you can e-file for free, even if you itemize. I used H&R Block's free online services and the IRS site says that my refund will be deposited into my account by Feb 22:D :D :D
www.irs.gov has lots of links to place where you can e-file for free:)