PDA

View Full Version : Adopting a kitty?

bckrazy
02-13-2005, 12:14 AM
:) this is my first post on the cat side, be gentle! lol, well, my Mom has dragged me to the SPCA several times in the past month to check out all of the cats. She really wants a kitty, and would be a great mommy! My mom works at home, only has to go to her office once or twice a week, and lives in a big condo with a nice yard/garden and plenty of sunshine coming through the windows ;).. perfect place for a kitty! There's this "complex cat" named Squirt that always visits her, and he convinced her that she needs her own cat to love. My dog only visits occasionally, but he loves cats and little animals and wouldn't bother them at all.

We went to the shelter today (again :rolleyes:) and we love soo many of the cats there! omg! I just love the SPCA, to death! The cats there are all kept in a large area of their own with toys, beds, and wooden slats to climb on (it's hard to explain, but awesome!) and the friendly cats are in large play rooms together, 3 per room, with condos and toys and everything. Its such a cool place, and they let us go through and meet tons of these beautiful cats! My mom said if she doesn't adopt a cat, she definitely wants to foster because the people there are so nice and all of the cats are great. :) We narrowed it down to... 15 :rolleyes:! My favorite is a 8 month-old DMH calico named Baby, she was SO sweet, and they said she loves doggies! Here's her page (http://sspca.org/CatProfile.html?qryCatID=1407) on the website if anyone wants to check her out! If we do adopt her, we can't go back until next Tuesday, because we are going to Oregon next weekend. My mom really adores her too, but there are so many wonderful cats there :( it just broke my heart, they were all so friendly and just wanted to be held and petted. I tend to like the mostly white, patchy, DSH's, but my mom loves long-haired Calico's like our last cat (who lived for 18 years!), Peachey.

wow, sorry to ramble so much! I just wanted to let you all know that I might be visiting the Cat side much more in a couple weeks! :D any advice is also *very* welcomed and appreciated! Of course, any cat we get will be 100% indoors (besides the occasional walk through the garden on a harness/leash, if she tolerates it) and will be super spoiled. I'd love some recomendations on cat food, I heard Nutro has good quality kitty food but I really don't know much about the brands out there for cats ;)

Oh, I'm Erica by the way :) my doggy is Gonzo, a (cat-loving) Border Collie.

Laura's Babies
02-13-2005, 01:11 AM
There are so many that need a home but this shelter sounds like a real neat place and I can tell you will not have any trouble finding one... Would you Mom consider adopting 2? TWICE the fun!! Just look at the cuddeling pictures over here and you'll see why I suggest getting 2.....

krazyaboutkatz
02-13-2005, 01:13 AM
I'm so glad that your mom has decided to adopt a cat and to rescue one from the shelter.:) Baby is adorable. I don't think that I've ever seen a black tortiseshell before. I'm sure that your mom will find the purrfect cat for her very soon. Good luck and please keep us updated.:)

catmandu
02-13-2005, 04:40 AM
Baby,looks like a Wionderful Cat,and we do hope,that you,will help her,and give Baby,that Furr Ever Home,that she want so Badly.Tou,will be rewarded,a Billion Times Over,if you do!

auggie
02-13-2005, 06:36 AM
I want your cat loving Border collie!:D
Someday I hope to have one of my own. I have BC pictures hanging on the wall in the cat room.
Since Baby is a playful kitten, it would be best to adopt another kitty to keep her company. I agree with Laura, two are twice the fun.
Your SPCA sounds so much nicer than the one down here.
Good luck and keep us updated.

cloverfdx
02-13-2005, 07:13 AM
Oh how exciting Erica :D. Awww gonzo will have a new little feline friend, how cute.

Goodluck in your search i hope your Mom finds what/ who she is looking for.

catnapper
02-13-2005, 07:42 AM
I agree with Laura - take the plunge and get two to start... she'll end up with two anyway! ;)

Glad to see you venture over here, and I can't wait to meet the special kitty your mom doees ned up bringing home.

sirrahbed
02-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Welcome Erica!:) I am SOOO glad you are adopting from a shelter! Baby looks like a sweetheart. I also like the shelters where the kitties can roam around in a room instead of a cage - also makes it easier to mingle with them and decide which one (or two) you want to bring home forever:D

Keep us updated!! I am excited to find how which kitty gets a home.

bckrazy
02-13-2005, 01:07 PM
:) thanks everybody! I will definitely keep you updated! I have thought of two kitties, I'll talk to my mom about it. ^_^ that would definitely make choosing them much easier

bckrazy
02-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Welcome Erica!:) I am SOOO glad you are adopting from a shelter! Baby looks like a sweetheart. I also like the shelters where the kitties can roam around in a room instead of a cage - also makes it easier to mingle with them and decide which one (or two) you want to bring home forever:D

thanks :D! I know, these rooms were so much nicer, and the cats seemed SO much happier... the poor cats who have to live in those tiny stainless steel boxes at animal control always seem really sad. I will definitely bring the digital camera when we go next week! I would never consider getting a cat from a breeder, ever. there are so many awesome cats in shelters as it is!

Clover, I'm soo excited to get Gonzo a buddy! I see all of the pics of dogs and cats cuddling together, and I really hope they get along like that ;)

Auggie, aww, I hope you can get a BC! there are SO many in shelters everywhere, they're definitely a breed for only certain people :) but my boy has no prey/herding drive at all with little animals, so I'm lucky.