PDA

View Full Version : burning barn

SwweettyPIE2000
12-12-2000, 01:58 PM
Has anyone had a burning barn with 3 horses and being scared have to death and you thought that it would never happen and your horses wouldnt survive

Karen
12-12-2000, 07:36 PM
I have never experienced it, but have heard stories from relatives who were volunteer fire fighters in small towns. How truly frightening, as the horse instinctively wants to return to the "safety" of the barn, even though you try to tell them that's where the danger lies. Trying to reason with a huge panicked equine is nearly impossible, and I know the only way is to cover their eyes and lead them strongly away as quickly but calmly as possible, and get them anchored somewhere they cannot break free from. The more horses involved, the more impossible the task gets, because they scream in fear and continually panick each other. It is a terrifying phenomenom, and my heart wrenches for anyone who has been through it.

Roo
12-22-2000, 02:12 PM
Wow, Karen! That was an eye-opener! I never would have imagined the dynamics of such an event in light of natural tendencies of horses. Thanks for shedding light on that.

SwweettyPIE, I'm not sure if you are saying that's what happened to you, but if so, I am so sorry. I hope it had a happy ending.

------------------
Roo
<><