PDA

View Full Version : Poor Mason

Kristl
02-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Today I took Mason to visit a friend. When we got home I took him out of the car and I shut the door on his foot. Which got me a bite resulting in 2 puncture wounds to my hand and now my hand is swollen something awful. I'm typing with my left hand! His foot's ok, I thought I had broken it, but it's fine. I'm calling the vet tomorrow anyways. I feel so bad!! I put neosporin on his foot where it was bleeding, and I believe he has forgiven me. I felt SO bad when that happened! Poor kitty!

rg_girlca
02-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Kristl, get yourself to a doctor ASAP. You need to get anitibiotics for the infection that is setting in from the cat bite. It is serious and I am not kidding. Get to the emergency NOW girl!!!!!!!!!

catnapper
02-11-2005, 08:35 PM
I hope that you get medical attention for that biteASAP! Ask CCL... she got bitten by Magoo and got very sick from it. Cat bites are nothing to play with, and if its already swelling, you need to get to the Emergency room!

poor little Mason. I hope he'll be ok too.

catcrazylady
02-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Ok Kristl I'm gonna have to agree with them. You know what? They told me the same thing and I ignored them. I was like you and it happened on a Saturday morning and I decided to wait it out until I could go to my regualar doctor. Then I decided it wasn't that bad and would probably heal on its own if I soaked it and bandaged it. I kept putting it off until I got up one morning and had streaks running up my arm. Waiting was a bad, very bad, idea! I landed in the ER anyway and was almost hospitalized because of the severity of the infection. I didn't see it coming and ignored these very smart people!:rolleyes: I won't do that again!!! I suggest you go bite the bullet, get on antibiotics now, and prevent the awful mess I went through. It was no fun!!:eek: It will just sneak up on you and then you are in serious trouble. Plus, I got yelled at by the folks in the ER for waiting.:rolleyes: Prevent what could turn out to be an extremely painful ordeal. I know it hurts now but you can't imagine how much worse it can get later!:eek: PLEASE listen, I didn't and I paid a very expensive and heavy price for it.

I'm glad Mason is ok. Don't feel guilty because accidents happen. The vet will take of him and the doctors will take care of you. GO, DO NOT WAIT, GO NOW!!!!!

This is said with love and concern for what I know you are going through and for what you may go through in the future if you don't listen.;) :)

rg_girlca
02-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Thank you Lisa. I was praying that you would come on tonight and tell your story and I am praying even harder that Kirstl sees this tonight.

QueenScoopalot
02-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Maybe she's at the hospital now! That's nothing to mess around with! :eek: :eek: :eek: Years back, I trapped a feral cat, and she went to the shelter I was involved with at the time. No one knew she was as psycho as she was, but we all found out the hard way. :rolleyes: One volunteer, not knowing, left the cage door partly open, and the cat got loose (she had newborn kittens in her cage). It was my rescue, so it was my chore to contain the feline. I made the stupid mistake of trying to scruff her by the neck (not knowing her disposition) and got a ~CHOMP~ through the meaty part of my thumb! I was in the same mindset that I'll be OK, until it swelled to the point of not being able to move my arm at all! Off to the hospital, and forget just how many antibiotics were pumped into me, but my hand was useless for weeks. :eek: :( Word from the wise...get yourself treatment, and get yourself a carrier for Mason! ;)

rg_girlca
02-11-2005, 10:03 PM
I hope and pray that you are right Jan when you said that she might be at the hospital now. Maybe she did read the posts and decided to go without responding.

She will definitely be in my prayers tonight.

Laura's Babies
02-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Well, I learned from CCL and my own vet and when I got bit at the shelter, I went right to my doctor on my way home, got the shot and pills... I hope she don't have to learn that lesson like you did CCL and QSL... That HURTS!!!! Maybe somebody drug her off the the ER... LETS HOPE!

catnapper
02-12-2005, 07:53 AM
Kristl... where are you? How are you and Mason today? We're worried about you!

catmandu
02-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Cat Bite ,or Scratch Fever,is nothing,to take for granted,and I would get,to see a doctor ASAP.I had,that once,when a Boarder Kitten,scratched me,and my Hand,looked,like a Smal Bowling Ball.We are glad,that Mason,isnt angry,at you,and that his paw,isnt broken,but I bet,that he will never get,into that Car,Again.

slick
02-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Last May, I helped a coworker pill her kitty....not a smart thing to do. He bit down on my index finger so hard that he damaged a nerve and a tiny part of my finger is numb for good now. Even if I bump it hard I can feel a bit of pain to this day.

Please check in Kristl. Cat bites are nothing to fool around with.

Kristl
02-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Sorry...I went out last night. But I am getting ready to head to the ER now...it's hurting me pretty bad, and I don't want it to get worse...I am so glad for all your advice. Without it, I would have waited. Thanks, everyone and I will update when I get home! BTW Mason is just fine!

catcrazylady
02-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Thank goodness you are going. It doesn't take long before it gets really ugly. Please update us as soon as you get back.

kimlovescats
02-12-2005, 12:24 PM
So glad you saw this info, Kristl. Please do let us know when you get back home!!!;)

rg_girlca
02-12-2005, 02:14 PM
PHEW!!!!! You had me worried girl. I'm so glad that you have finally gone to see about it and I am also happy to hear that Mason is okay.

I will keep on checking in for an update.

krazyaboutkatz
02-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Kristl, I'm so glad that you're going to the ER. I hope that everything will turn out fine. Please update us when you can.:)

Laura's Babies
02-12-2005, 04:08 PM
................... and after 12 hours at the emergency room we get a update? Kristl??????

Kristl
02-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Ok, I had some other things to do in Peoria, and I was in the ER for 2 1/2 hours! I had an hour long penicillin IV and they gave me some antibiotics. They had to let the shelter know, by law, and had to make sure Mason was current on his shots...of course he is! Anyway, the IV made the redness not so red. My hand still hurts, but not as bad as before. I have to go back to the hospital tomorrow for a check to see if I need the IV again. I'm doing OK! Thanks everyone for being so concerned! I appreciate it!

rg_girlca
02-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Oh Kirstl, I am so glad to hear that you are okay. When my sister was bitten by her cat this past summer, She had to go to the hospital every day for 5 days for the IV drip. I hope you won't have to go through this. Take all you medication and get well soon.

I pray this will never, ever happen to you again, but now you know what to do if it ever does.

Take care and (((((HUGS)))))

Laura's Babies
02-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Wow! A IV drip??? My doctor gave me a shot in the butt and a weeks worth to take by mouth... Did have to go back in 2 days to let him see it wasn't red or anything....

Had to prove he had all his shots???!!! Did you tell them you had shut Mason poor tail in the car door!! Geez! They should have some understanding here... Poor Mason!

No job is complete until the paperwork is done..:(

catnapper
02-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Whew! Glad to hear you are ok. I was really worried about you!

Kristl
02-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Laura's Babies- I told them the whole story! I said I deserved the bite, it was my fault. Mason got hurt and I got bit. The shelter called me and said I have to keep him inside for 10 days (which is fine...he's an inside cat) and they're mailing me something that I have to take to my vet and the vet has to send back to them!!?? Whatever! I thought they were going to come take Mason...there would've been a MAJOR problem there!!

kimlovescats
02-12-2005, 05:31 PM
They just have to be sure he doesn't have rabies .... that is a major concern with cat / animal bites. The 10 days' quarantine is standard for rabies testing! Don't worry, everything will come out ok and you'll keep your hand!;)

I'm sorry you had to go through all of this, but THANKFUL you took the advice and went to the ER!

(((HUGS)))
Kim:)

Kristl
02-13-2005, 02:33 PM
I have to go back to see the doc today...I'm leaving in an hour. I may have to have another IV drip, but we'll see! My hand is doing a lot better. Thanks all for your prayers! I think they worked!!

slick
02-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Good luck Kristl. More prayers on the way.

catcrazylady
02-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Oh Kristl I'm so glad you got this taken care of now instead of later. I am surprised they are giving you IV since you went in so early. I just got scrubbed clean, x-rayed (to make sure no tooth broke off in my arm), tetnus (sp) shot, and super dooper anitbiotics that made me sick for ten days! They did want to draw blood but I drew the line there and left.;) If mine had not showed improvement by the following day then I was going to have to do the IV thing.
Of course I live in Podunk and went to the local hospital instead of one the bigger city hospitals.:rolleyes:
They turned us into the Health Department so they could make sure Goo had his shots and that we healed ok. I imagine they are starting to wonder about us because a few years ago hubby had to go to the ER because of Sammy. he had to get stitches and had a vein punctured. A few years later here comes a new report on his wife!!:p When hubby got it they actually came to the house but when I got it they left a phone message, I never got the chance to call back, and I never heard from them again. Like I said, I live in Podunk!:D
Glad you and Mason are ok!:)

carole
02-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Oh Kristl I feel your pain, been there , done that too, they are very painful for sometime and nothing to be laughed at for sure, glad you got treatment and quickly, luckily we donot have Rabies in NZ, but they still can be serious regardless.

Take much care and I hope the pain eases soon, hope your Paw is, better too Mason.

Kristl
02-13-2005, 08:12 PM
I just got the tetanus shot this time around after spending 3 hours there!! Oh, well. The doctor was amazed at how fast it had gotten better. Good thing I heeded all the advice, huh?! Well, things are back to normal, except I have to stay on the meds till they're gone! This is the 4th time in 2 weeks I have been to the doctor...first I had an ear infection...then my messed up knee got messed up again...then the kitty bite...I have to go to my regular doctor tomorrow for a knee x-ray! I AM FALLING APART!