PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotic voices?

K9soul
02-11-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm working on transcription, as usual, but there is one therapist that I truly struggle with doing because her voice seems to send me into a hypnotic state. It's not that she's droning or boring, I have plenty of therapists and doctors that sound that way but don't have this effect on me. My head actually feels heavier and heavier and my vision even seems to dim and I swear I feel like I'm struggling to remain conscious! I had a college professor that had the same effect on me and I about failed his class because no matter what I did I could not retain my concentration and awareness during his lectures. It's not the time of day or how tired I am because it happens every time I get one of her reports, no matter what day or time it is.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? Someone's voice seeming to just send you into a state of hypnosis?

NoahsMommy
02-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Not to me personally, but when I talk to my cats (or the cats at the vet I used to work at) they almost always start to slowly shut their eyes.

:)

slick
02-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Try attending one of our staff meetings......:eek: :D

wolfsoul
02-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Sometimes I'll do that when someone has a really pretty speaking voice. It calms me and makes me sleepy lol. I end up just listening to the sound of their voice rather than their words.

PJ's Mom
02-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Ok this is going to sound really odd, but does anyone remember the painter Bob Ross? The white guy with an afro? :D Anyway, He used to have a show on PBS and everyday I would come home from work and his voice would have that hypnotizing effect on me. I don't know why. :p

Corinna
02-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Bob RossI haven't thought of him in years. yeh he did have a voice like that.
I have tone deafness so most voices sound the same but a few do have that affect on me. Most are Aussies and cockney . Some people have a pitch that I can't hear and have to have them change their voice pattern for me to hear it. At work I have to have some one else help them Normally.

lizbud
02-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Some people's posts have had that effect on me, but never
just a particular voice. :p

K9soul
02-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Sometimes I'll do that when someone has a really pretty speaking voice. It calms me and makes me sleepy lol. I end up just listening to the sound of their voice rather than their words.

You're right, the voices that have this effect on me are often very pleasant voices, the sound just draws me in and completely relaxes me. Of course that is what hypnosis is, the state of utter and total relaxation :)