PDA

View Full Version : East Coasters...

CamCamPup33
02-11-2005, 07:30 AM
A few weeks ago I was watching some show on Tsunami's, telling how they start, travel etc. While watching, they brought up a prediction about the next major tsunami. Here's the story that I remember...

Somewhere in Africa, there are two volcanoes. One in non-active, and the other one is active. The active volcano erupted years ago, and because of water inside of the volcano (water + heat is creating pressure), it has caused part of the volcano to separate from the "base"... Both of these non-active and active volcanoes are on an island, which means it's surrounded water. If their prediction is correct, soon enough, the separated piece will break off, fall into the ocean, and create the next MAJOR tsunami which will WIPE out the entire east coast.

:eek: How SCARY!

Tonight there is a story about it on the news. Im sure I can find the story on the net, maybe that will explain it better than I can.

Just thought I would inform you all in case you haven't seen it yet.

Make room California!

CamCamPup33
02-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Heres a quote from here. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/mega_tsunami.shtml)

What will happen when the volcano on La Palma collapses? Scientists predict that it will generate a wave that will be almost inconceivably destructive, far bigger than anything ever witnessed in modern times. It will surge across the entire Atlantic in a matter of hours, engulfing the whole US east coast, sweeping away everything in its path up to 20km inland. Boston would be hit first, followed by New York, then all the way down the coast to Miami and the Caribbean.

christa
02-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
Make room California!

I think I'll take my chances on the East Coast . . . Is Cali really any more stable? I thought it was going to eventually break off and fall into the ocean??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

LuvGold00
02-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Don't like hearing that, makes me think I need to plan a better evacuation plan for the dogs!!!

MaryJae
02-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by christa
I think I'll take my chances on the East Coast . . . Is Cali really any more stable? I thought it was going to eventually break off and fall into the ocean??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll take my chances too...even though we live right near the beach. :confused:

I honestly think that anything can happen anywhere you go so there really isn't such a thing as a "safe" place.

catnapper
02-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Yup. I'll take my chances too. If its that destructive, I won't know what hit me! :D

I was watching Pompeii on Discovery, and scientists predict it'll erupt again within the next hundred years or so.... and you should see the millions living at its base! Now, THATS something I'd take heed of. I don't think I'd comfortably nestle myself at the base of an active volcano! :eek:

Christiansmommy
02-11-2005, 08:30 AM
:eek: :eek: YIKES :eek: :eek:

Andie
02-11-2005, 10:29 AM

There is plenty of room with us in the middle of the country.

Karen
02-11-2005, 10:56 AM
I think Sandra's most at risk, as Cape Cod is very flat, but she can come up here! You Floridians'd be in trouble too, Florida being, what 2 feet above sea level? But as anyone who has ever watched the Boston marathon knows, those famous "hills of Newton" are between me and any tsunami.
We live behind "Heartbreak Hill" on another small but steep hill. I'd maybe have to invest in a rowboat to visit downtown Boston, but ...

slleipnir
02-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Eek, I hope we never get a big Tsunami here...our little sandbar would never handle it. (literally, all we are is a sandbar ;)) hehe

Corinna
02-11-2005, 11:37 AM
I think I'm safe. But the west coast has some of the same geological stuff.

Albea
02-11-2005, 11:49 AM
I think I'll stay in the East. And, as Karen said, I also live at the top of a hill.
For now, we may have blizzards but, unlike California, we don't have hearthquakes, mud slides or forest fires.

QueenScoopalot
02-11-2005, 11:51 AM
What cheery news! :rolleyes: :eek: We live all of two blocks from the ocean here, just north of Boston. A hill, but not hilly enough. :eek: :rolleyes:

Samantha Puppy
02-11-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm on the east coast but 20 km is only about 12-13 miles... and I'm much further inland than that. I'll stay where I am!

Paul
02-11-2005, 02:21 PM
   Over the years I have seen a lot of stories on the coming La Palma tsunami. Hopefully, we will finally construct an Atlantic warning system and we will never need to use it.

Apparently, lessons were learned from the 2.3-million-gallon molasses tsunami in Boston in 1919. From CNN, Great molasses flood remembered (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/01/23/molasses.flood.ap/
)
"... horses stuck in this sea of molasses, a lot of cars, people stuck, houses smashed to pieces," said O'Brien, looking through a Boston Public Library exhibit commemorating the 85th anniversary of Boston's Great Molasses Flood, which killed 21 people and injured 150."

Paul

chrissycat21
02-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know when they're sending the first people to Mars? :D ;) I heard its safer there....:p

CamCamPup33
02-11-2005, 04:12 PM

That's true.

Make room missouri?? :p