PDA

View Full Version : man charged for dragging Boston Terrier

chelsea
02-11-2005, 05:15 AM
By Jonathan Weaver

Salisbury Post

Salisbury Police found and charged a man who reportedly dragged a Boston terrier behind his truck Sunday before stopping at a local veterinarian's office.

Tuesday evening, police charged Jose Dionisio Hernandez Lainez, 30, of 701 Park Ave., with misdemeanor cruelty to an animal.

Police are still looking for the other man in the truck, who identified himself earlier as Guillermo Gonzalez Reyes. Reyes had given police an address on Imperial Drive, but when police checked for him later, no one in the area knew of the man, Salisbury Police Chief Mark Wilhelm said.

Later, officers saw the black Dodge truck that the men were driving parked in the Park Avenue area, and they found Lainez at 701 Park Ave. After interviewing him again, they charged him.

On Sunday, witness Glenda Allen saw the truck dragging the black-and-white Boston terrier and followed the truck until it pulled into the parking lot of The Animal Care Center on East Innes Street. Allen told police she had tried to get the men to stop, but they wouldn't.

Reyes told police the dog had been coming into his yard, and he had asked Lainez to drive him to the veterinarian's office with the dog. The men used twine to tie the dog to the tailgate of the truck and placed it inside the bed. They told police they didn't know the dog had jumped out.

When police asked around the Imperial Drive area, no one had ever seen a black-and-white terrier, Wilhelm said. Officers are still looking for the owner of the dog, which is being kept at the Animal Care Center, Wilhelm said.

Police ask anyone with information on Reyes to call the department at 704-638-5333

http://www.salisburypost.com/area/348904287036459.php

jackie
02-11-2005, 08:37 AM
:mad: i seem to hear more and more about these kind of things every day.

QueenScoopalot
02-11-2005, 12:09 PM
What sick pieces of excrement! :mad: :mad: :mad: It's a wonder the dog survived being dragged like that. :( Hope they throw the book at them...but am not holding my breath. :(

cocker_luva
02-11-2005, 03:48 PM
thats why its illegal to have a dog tyed in the back of trucks without proper leashes

Vette
02-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Heck,, i woudlnt put my dog in his crate in the back of my truck. let along being lose or leashed back there.

and it should be illegal world wide period,, to have a dog in the back of trucks. leash or no leash. its the dumbest thing any so called 'owner' can do.

Suki Wingy
02-13-2005, 03:04 AM
stupid people. when will they ever learn?!?!?:mad:

BostonTerrier1012
02-18-2005, 02:19 PM
That is horrible! There really are dumb people out there.:mad:

leslie
02-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Salisbary what state!? that is what drives me nuts about these news stories! is it from Maine? Is the vet in Mass or nearby do you happen to know? I am curious because of different state laws... do you know? Thanks by the way!!!

QueenScoopalot
02-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Another article with pic of Dinky...poor baby
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/4177487/detail.html

Dog Falls Out Of Pick-up, Dragged, And Survives

POSTED: 4:42 pm EST February 8, 2005
UPDATED: 6:31 pm EST February 8, 2005

Dinky is a Boston terrier. Apparently, Dinky jumped out himself or fell off the back of a moving pick-up truck and was dragged down the road by his throat.

WSOC-TV

The rope that was supposed to hold him in the bed of the truck was too long and actually allowed him to jump out and get dragged.

Clate Mayberry has a dog of his own.

"Well, it makes me feel bad because I'm an animal person. So I don't like to see stuff like that and hear about it."

In this case, it's not the dog's owner at fault. Police say charges are pending against a man who found the dog wandering in his yard.

The man was taking the pet to a friend when it fell out of the truck bed and was dragged down the road.

A woman saw what was happening and alerted the driver. Police said she saved the dogs life. but the damage was already done.

Carolyn Rivera is the veterinarian who treated Dinky. She says more people need to know about the dangers of moving pets in pick-ups.

"I mean, this happens all the time. I'm sorry to say it but it happens a lot," she said.

Even if this was an accident, Mayberry said, someone should be held responsible.

"I think it's just ignorance on his part," he said.

"Should anyone be charged with animal neglect," asked reporter Ron Magnuson.

"I would say so, yes," said Mayberry.

Eyewitness News has gotten a lot of calls and e-mails from people who want to adopt Dinky. The dog will be held until the rightful owner is found. If that doesn't happen, then a judge would have to release the dog for adoption.

The Animal Center of Salisbury would handle the adoption.

For more information about the dangers of dogs riding in the back of pick-ups, log on to the Humane Society of the United States Website.

leslie
02-19-2005, 10:13 PM
is it in NC?

chelsea
02-21-2005, 05:32 AM
It happened in North Carolina.

leslie
02-21-2005, 07:05 PM
It would be nice if the owner could get him back with the promise to keep him close by! It is so hard to know who is a good owner and who isn't by these stories. the owner could be an ok person or NOT....