PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your dog's teeth clean?

wolf_Q
02-10-2005, 11:09 PM
Another curiosity poll...;) It is multiple choice, choose all that applies!

I really try to keep Nebo's teeth clean. I saw how bad Reggie and Smokey's teeth got and I will never let that happen to Nebo.

I have times where I brush his teeth every day but usually I forget so it's probably more like 1-3 times per week. He also gets greenies/other dental chews and occassionally pressed rawhide to chew. He has nylabones he chews on when he's really bored. I put this "liquid tartar remover" stuff in his water and he also gets dog mints after getting his teeth brushed. I've also bought various breath/dental cleaning dog treats and toys.

I think I may have his teeth professionally cleaned at a vet when he gets older too.

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-10-2005, 11:28 PM
All of my dogs get their teeth brushed about every 3 days or so. They also get raw bones to chew on twice a week, they work reall well:)

Oggyflute
02-11-2005, 01:14 AM
My kids get a chicken wing every second day, and a dental chew a couple of times a week.

bckrazy
02-11-2005, 01:55 AM
I also brush Gonzo's teeth at least a few times a week, and he gets bones and greenies, plus dental kongs. I wanted to try the liquid tartar remover, does it work? :p I've also seen the affects of not taking care of dogs teeth, and I do not want that to happen to Gonzo... I'll probably get his teeth cleaned when he gets older, but so far they are very very shiney and white :cool:

jackie
02-11-2005, 04:08 AM
when i adopted bella, her teeth were in a terrible state. all black and stinking. i wanted to book her in for a dental clean at the vets, but after just moving into a new house and being sterilized, i didn;t think she needed the extra stress. so she just gets a lot of chew toys and denta-bones and ONLY dry kibble. in the six monthes we have had her, the change is amazing!!!:)

tito is only 16 months old and has beautiful teeth. and absolutely NO dog breath.

i never brush them, just give them dry kibble and lotsa chew toys. :D

binka_nugget
02-11-2005, 04:46 AM
Raw meaty bones! :D

cloverfdx
02-11-2005, 06:46 AM
Raw meaty bones!

Same ;), and the occasional Greenie.

RobiLee
02-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Thats so funny that you started this thread, Amy. I just got the new Foster and Smith and was looking at the dental section this morning before I came here. I am ashamed to say that I have never brushed my girls' teeth :o . I was looking at all the products and thinking I really need to do this. I do give them lots of dental chewies. I need to start giving them occasional brushings and I also would like to get some of that stuff that you put in their water.

cali
02-11-2005, 07:49 AM
raw diet lol so Raw meaty bones everyday at 6pm for supper :p

Holly's mom
02-11-2005, 07:53 AM
I give Holly compressed rawhide and dental greenies, I've tried brushing her teeth, but she gets so excited, she loves the doggie toothpaste, and she's so busy trying to lick the toothpaste off the brush, that I don't think I'm accomplishing much.

ramanth
02-11-2005, 08:34 AM
I use a variety of rawhide, Dentabones, Greenies, and treats. :)

cyber-sibes
02-11-2005, 08:40 AM
They chew on lots of bones, occasionally get raw bones, and things like Dentabones for reducing tarter. My beautiful Star is 8 and still has nice white teeth- even the vet comments on her pretty teeth!

Logan
02-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by RobiLee
Thats so funny that you started this thread, Amy. I just got the new Foster and Smith and was looking at the dental section this morning before I came here. I am ashamed to say that I have never brushed my girls' teeth :o . I was looking at all the products and thinking I really need to do this. I do give them lots of dental chewies. I need to start giving them occasional brushings and I also would like to get some of that stuff that you put in their water.

Don't be ashamed! I would think that the majority of dog owners never brush their dog's teeth, Robin. I certainly don't. But mine do chew on hard bones a lot, plus eat hard food and treats. They have never needed a tooth cleaning at the dentist.

Logan

Dixieland Dancer
02-11-2005, 09:35 AM
I brush Dixie and Dusty's teeth about once a week. They even have their own Spin brush toothbrushes! :D I also gave them natural frozen bison bones to chew on but I can't do that anymore because of a tooth problem Dusty has from chewing too aggressively. I guess I'm just going to have to brush them more frequently.

pitc9
02-11-2005, 09:38 AM
My pups teeth are very clean, and I've never brushed them!
I don't give them Dentabones very often, maybe once every few months. But they love pigs ears and milkbones, so I'm sure that's what keeps their teeth clean!

PJ's Mom
02-11-2005, 09:55 AM
I have to take Peej and Bailey to the vet to have their teeth cleaned. Brushing is something they'd never tolerate, and they have never liked to chew on any kind of teeth cleaning bone. :(

BitsyNaceyDog
02-11-2005, 12:35 PM
My dogs all love to chew rawhides and I brush their teeth occasionally. I've been slacking on brushing their teeth lately though.

Buster is the only one I've had trouble with when it comes to teeth. His trouble began before I got him. When I got him his teeth were black. We immediately got him an appointment at the vet to have his teeth cleaned. He had to have a lot pulled. About a year later they had to go in and pull his k-9's because they were causing him to have sinus problems. His teeth aren't in too good of shape, all because of the years of neglect he had before I got him.

K9soul
02-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Mine have dental chews with little nubs on them they love to chew on as well as Nylabones. I also brush their teeth but should keep up with it more often. Tommy's teeth are perfect but Tasha's back teeth are starting to get a bit of tartar buildup. I used a scraper to get some of it off the other day but I may take her in to have them done at the vet's, it's really hard to scrape at those very back teeth.

DogLover9501
02-11-2005, 01:16 PM
I just recently started brushing Jasper's teeth, he doesn't mind it at all! He also has Dentabones, and he chews on bones from the pet store, like ribs, hooves..etc, and has some toys for his teeth :)