PDA

View Full Version : Bad introduction of rescued cat to old cat

Heathergail
06-28-2000, 08:27 AM
we took in a stray, had her spayed, vaccinated, etc., & she HATES our 4-yr old Siamese/Himilayan. She's attacked him several times & he is terrified of her. She's black, 7lbs to his 14lbs. She is very affectionate to us; he is so-so. We have to keep her in a tiny bedroom ALL the time except when we lock up our 4-yr old (indoor cat). It's been two months; is it going to get better? I can't find a home for her. I may have to take her to the shelter. I adore both of them.

dogncatluvr
06-28-2000, 05:46 PM
I had 2 older cats (8 and 9 years) when I adopted 2 kittens, 6 and 9 months old. I had the kittens in a room, just like you're doing, for a week, so they could meet each other by smell only. Then I put a "toy" (a sturdy piece of string with a spool at each end) under the door. It extended on both sides of the door, so they could play with each other. I then put the kittens in a wire cage (with a top on it) in the living room and let the older cats smell them. Everything went well, so I turned the kittens loose and all was pretty much OK. A little hissing, but no fighting. You may want to try the toy thing to let the older cat safely "play" with the younger one. Good luck!

rabbit_mom
06-28-2000, 06:46 PM
You may be nearly there. I have a friend who took in a stray kitten and her older cat held out for about two months before giving in. The original cat even went after the humans!

I'm thinking about a second bunny to keep my first one company and will probably get one from a shelter. Does anyone know about introducing bunnies?

The one I have has quite a personality!
Diane

ferret22
06-29-2000, 09:00 AM
My older cat absolutly hated it when we brung home our litte Pandora kitty home. He would meow and slap her and wouldn't let us mess with him for weeks! He eventually got over it and now he has him a new hunting buddy. They're the best of friends now. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Rabits are far more social than cats or dogs. They have an instinct to stick together for protection. I have never had a problem with an old rabbit not accepting a newer one, but you might want to do it slowly just to make sure. Put the newer one in a cage near the older one and switch out their bedding so they can get used to each other's smell. Let them out to play with each other after a while of this and see how it goes. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

Gio
06-30-2000, 05:43 AM
Don't give up, it will work out in the end. A few months after one of my cats passed away we found a kitten and brought her home. I already had a 15 year old male (also a rescue cat). For the first few days there was a lot of hissing but then things calmed down. Shortly after my sister came to stay with me for a while with her two very strong 3 year old cats. One of these and my old cat hated each other on site but after few fights they decided to ignore each other. When they went another young female joined the family and, in the beginning, she just did not get on with my male cat (who is now 18) and now, when noone is looking, they go to sleep on the same bed!

Heathergail
06-30-2000, 07:03 AM
I can't express how grateful I am for all the kind responses (& so quickly!). There's something unique & special about animal lovers. The new cat actually took a chunk out of my other cat's ear & my husband is having a fit. A lady called me about the ad I placed & she's very interested in meeting the young cat. We're going over there tonight to see how it goes. She has a golden lab & her 20-yr old cat just passed away. I appreciate all your kind help. I plan to visit the shelter to seek out a more gentle cat for company for my other sweetie. Thanks so much.

[This message has been edited by Heathergail (edited June 30, 2000).]

rabbit_mom
06-30-2000, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the advice about the bunnies -- my current rabbit will have to be neutered first. I recently learned that non-neutered male rabbits get prostate cancer more. Plus, I'm not sure how many bunnies I want!

If you'd like to see photos of my "Texas furhorn," please visit: http://www.gatherround.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=68714&a=74157&pw=rabbit

Thanks again!
Diane