PDA

View Full Version : So frustrated I could cry...

catnapper
02-10-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm so frustrated right now over someone who I do some design work for. I was contacted by this person to do the picture framing for a client's new conference room. In the begining she said she'd just get me involved, and that I'd give her the bill and she'd tack on a small percentage as a commision for her trouble... nothing much, perhaps a $100.

As of tonight, she wants to do EVERYTHING. She wants me to tell her how many hours I spent, so then she'd pay me for my hours and decide how much more to mark the "consultation" line item. She has no clue how much time I've put into this project - all of the running around to obtain sample prints for the client, all of the internet searches, etc. Easily 30 hours for THREE prints (10 hours each... mimimally).

I was going to simply charge the client a small "fee" for the consultation services and mark up the job and make money on the picture frames... ie: if the frame cost me $100, I was going to mark it up to $250 to make up for my time that I wasn't going to charge in the consultation line item. I have found clients balk at a high consultation list price, but not at all when I pad the cost of the framing. Anyway... she now wants to know what MY cost for everything is, and SHE wants to pay for the the art and all of the supplies. I wanted the client deposit to come to ME - not HER.

All in all, instead of making the great money off this project I'd imagined, I'll be making a small percentage of it, and SHE'LL be raking it in. I am sooo beyond irate right now.

Sorry to rant... I hope you were able to follow/understand it. This woman has been walking all over me and this was the last straw.

NoahsMommy
02-10-2005, 05:04 PM
:( Oh, Kim. I'm so sorry. :(

I haven't seen your framing work, but everything I've seen you do turns out beautifully. I'm so sorry this woman is taking advantage of you like this.

I guess if it were me, I'd put it all on the bill. If she has questions, you can confront her then? Maybe you could attach a note explaining what you understood the arrangement to be and now she needs to pay you for all the time you've put into this.

Do what you feel is fair and you won't be wrong.

Lots of hugs to you...you're such a sweetie and I hate to see you upset. :(

Love, Kelly

moosmom
02-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Kim,

I'd do what Kelly suggested. Sounds like SHE wants to get paid and get the credit for your work. Definitely not fair!!! :mad:

Hang in there honey. What goes around comes around!!

((((hugs))))
Donna

RICHARD
02-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Itemize your bill...

Stick her for the regular stuff and tell her you want one dollar for your consultation.

;)

catnapper
02-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys! My husband is a little bit more annoyed than I am! He says to hand her an itemized bill for ALL the time I spent on this, from phne calls. internet search, meetings, to travel time.. insert gas receipts and turnpike toll receipts and all. Let her get a bill for $1,000 WITHOUT the artwork and see how fast she turns it back over to me for command!

mina'smomma
02-11-2005, 07:48 AM
I would have to agree with you husband and Richard dear. That seems to be the best way to do it. She obviously doesn't understand how much time is actually invested in this project.